Doom 3 BFG Edition is $20 on Steam if you already own Doom 3.

I saw this deal on steam earlier and I'm slightly interested. But what I am wondering is if this deal is just an introductory thing or if a slight discount will be persistent. I remember Steam had a similar promo for the last Stalker expansion if you owned the pervious games; that one was a persistent discount.

It's in poor taste to charge owners of Doom 3 anything for this. When Stranger's Wrath HD came out, they gave it for free to everybody who owned Stranger's Wrath on Steam already.

Remastered my ass. The game looks exactly the same as the original release, though widescreen and 3D support is built in. I feel cheated out of 18 bucks.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']It's in poor taste to charge owners of Doom 3 anything for this. When Stranger's Wrath HD came out, they gave it for free to everybody who owned Stranger's Wrath on Steam already.[/QUOTE]

Doom 3 was released by Activision, this version is an Ubisoft release who invested money in updating the game. It would be a complete loss for them to do a free update. Of course I could be wrong about this and if so please feel free to kick me in the head.

I was a little irritated that my boxed copies count for nothing and get me no discount. They need to do a deal for those of us that bought the game well before it ever came to Steam.

[quote name='galbyman']Doom 3 was released by Activision, this version is an Ubisoft release who invested money in updating the game. It would be a complete loss for them to do a free update. Of course I could be wrong about this and if so please feel free to kick me in the head.[/QUOTE]
Ubisoft has nothing to do with the game. This is all iD Software, and well Bethesda as publisher because Zenimax owns iD. I don't see why they couldn't give people who already owned the Steam Doom/Quake pack a free upgrade or at least a $5 upgrade. There is no way I am spending $20 on this because I already own every Doom/Quake. iD has also published Doom 3 on Steam.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ubisoft has nothing to do with the game. This is all iD Software, and well Bethesda as publisher because Zenimax owns iD. I don't see why they couldn't give people who already owned the Steam Doom/Quake pack a free upgrade or at least a $5 upgrade. There is no way I am spending $20 on this because I already own every Doom/Quake. iD has also published Doom 3 on Steam.[/QUOTE]

I cannot believe that I said Ubisoft. I m looking at the game on my desk and for some reason I had a brain fart.

[quote name='hal']I was a little irritated that my boxed copies count for nothing and get me no discount. They need to do a deal for those of us that bought the game well before it ever came to Steam.[/QUOTE]
I'm staring the discs I bought on release day years ago and remember wondering why it was touted as having awesome graphics when all you could see on the screen was a huge splooge of black.:lol:

so.............where are the reviews for this release? From the game play video , it looks like it has more motion blur ...I need to wait it out until I see some side by side videos of this because I see no reason to drop 20 when I already have D1,d2,d3 and the quakes.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']It's in poor taste to charge owners of Doom 3 anything for this. When Stranger's Wrath HD came out, they gave it for free to everybody who owned Stranger's Wrath on Steam already.[/QUOTE]

I agree - I bought the "Doom Pack" or whatever a couple of months ago when they had it cheap primarily just for nostalgia's sake. Guess that's why it was on sale. :whistle2:| Don't know if the BFG edition had been announced at that time or not...I have a bad habit of not considering re-releases when a big set of games goes on sale, which has bitten me in the ass on several occasions. However in this instance, I don't feel any inclination to spend any money on BFG just for the trophies and I guess nominally upgraded graphics from what I'm hearing.

Well the 360 version is kinda lame it isn't a full 1000 points achievo wise. They count the 200 points from both doom 1 & 2 to make a complete 1000. Also when you quit either of the first two dooms it brings you to dashboard instead of to the main menu. Annoying to have to keep booting the disc up all the time.

bread's done
Back