Doom 3 out NOW @ Best Buy

laurarellis

CAGiversary!
Not exactly a *cheap* deal, but an early deal.

My computer is too old, but yours probably isn't. Have fun.

Update: A few BB stores have claimed to not be putting them out until Monday, but oddly enough that seems to be the exception here...

Update 2: This board has some personal pictures from a few people of their new copy of Doom 3.[/url]

B&M confirmed, but not BestBuy.com.

People from all over the states have copies in their hands, so it *should* be all of them. Supposedly Activision has authorized this.

my computer's too old too, but i saw it was $45 at my best buy, I went there to buy a new xbox.. damn thompson drive crapped out..

[quote name='fireball343']thanks, lauranrellis.

since when has a company autorized the break of a street date?[/quote]
I also want to know why Activision allowed BB to break the street date.
I guess if BB has broken the street date everybody else can.

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='fireball343']thanks, lauranrellis.

I guess if BB has broken the street date everybody else can.[/quote]

I was told EB or Gamestop have to break the street date before retail chains can.

I got UT2K4 early because BB had stuck it on the floor. That is where I heard about this, since I wanted to see if they had the DVD special edition in the back

[quote name='pimp tyranny']what's the minimum speed? i think my comp's like 1733 mhz.[/quote]
I think its a 1.5 Ghz P3 or P4 ( I cant remember which).

yeah min specs are a 1.5P4 or 2000+AMD, 384 RAM, and not sure about video card, i think you need at least 64MB ram.

i'm gonna check it out a few BB's tomorrow, i'll let you all know

Processor speed and Ram isn't the problem on mine, my laptop has a pretty not-so-hot video card, guess I'll have to try the demo to see if it's even playable on my comp.

Best Buy has been using this exclusive-release oriented marketing strategy for a while now, but not with games. Remember that Rolling Stones DVD that came out at Christmas? It was only available at Best Buy for like six months. I'm more than happy with this! Games usually sell more during its initial release period, so Best Buy is ensuring maximum sales potential off of Doom III. I have a feeling we will see more of this to come, with other titles. Just imagine if Best Buy were to secure an early bird release date with GTA San Andreas or Halo 2....

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='fireball343']thanks, lauranrellis.

I was told EB or Gamestop have to break the street date before retail chains can.

I got UT2K4 early because BB had stuck it on the floor. That is where I heard about this, since I wanted to see if they had the DVD special edition in the back[/quote]

Now in what world does it make sense that EB or Gamestop have to break street date first? Seriously.. what game manufacturer would possibly consider that.. much less implement it.

Iwouldn't go there i have spent the last 30 min calling all the bb in the chicago area NONE of them are selling this early! NONE of the chicago area BB are selling this early, I EVEN tried to bribe one of the girls at schaumburg bb and they said ok, but they had to ask a manager, and the dickhead said NO. COCKa doodle! SO i would just give up if you live in IL b/c our BB people apparently have an IQ that at least hits 60 and below.

doh mn

Brookfield, WI HWY 18 Best Buy had it out, with a big display and everything. I picked up a box and was surprised it was out already. I have a P3-500, so there's no way i'll ever be getting this game.. unless its real cheap on xbox.

It stinks that your computer has to cost $2000 (im exagerating) for you to even play this game. I guess well just have to wait for the superior xbox port. And maybe half-life 2 will get an early release at best buy.....

[quote name='uesc']yeah min specs are a 1.5P4 or 2000+AMD, 384 RAM, and not sure about video card, i think you need at least 64MB ram.[/quote]

You need at least a GeForce 3 or equivalent. I've only got a GeForce 2, so despite having better than minimum spec everywhere else, I won't be able to play it. Ah well, I'll be getting a new PC next year anyway.... :roll:

[quote name='bhfgamer']It stinks that your computer has to cost $2000 (im exagerating) for you to even play this game. I guess well just have to wait for the superior xbox port. And maybe half-life 2 will get an early release at best buy.....[/quote]
Whoa whoa, superior port?

[quote name='PaulEMoz'][quote name='uesc']yeah min specs are a 1.5P4 or 2000+AMD, 384 RAM, and not sure about video card, i think you need at least 64MB ram.[/quote]

You need at least a GeForce 3 or equivalent. I've only got a GeForce 2, so despite having better than minimum spec everywhere else, I won't be able to play it. Ah well, I'll be getting a new PC next year anyway.... :roll:[/quote]
Yeah, GeForce2 doesn't support shaders, so you cant even run the game.

I remember last year BB had Enter The Matrix on store shelves a week before GS or EB.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='fireball343']thanks, lauranrellis.

I got UT2K4 early because BB had stuck it on the floor. That is where I heard about this, since I wanted to see if they had the DVD special edition in the back[/quote]

Now in what world does it make sense that EB or Gamestop have to break street date first? Seriously.. what game manufacturer would possibly consider that.. much less implement it.[/quote]

I have no clue. That is just what I was told. I think it had more to do with Epic being based in Raleigh than anything else

[quote name='magilacudy']Is the Xbox version coming out at the same time?[/quote]

No..

Post phone numbers of stores that have it.

the ppl at EB who dont know anything about gaming told me taht it was out aug 2, and taht it got moved up from 4 or 3(of august) but sadly enuff, i wont be here on aug 2 for i will be in arizona. plus aug 2 is my bday. kinda funny huh?

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']the ppl at EB who dont know anything about gaming told me taht it was out aug 2, and taht it got moved up from 4 or 3(of august) but sadly enuff, i wont be here on aug 2 for i will be in arizona. plus aug 2 is my bday. kinda funny huh?[/quote]

Uh, that's the truth.

It's not out here in the Nashville area. BB people told me either the 2nd or the 4th.

I'm going on a hunt today to see if any other stores broke street. I called my brother down at EB and he was all like ":O!! They haven't even shipped it yet!", so if BB has it, it's a special Activision authorized ship, or something.

Gamspot said in its Rumor Control section yesterday that many stores recieved it Friday or Today, yet some are breaking street date while some aren't.

the chesterfield and Mid Rivers BB in St. Louis MO do not have it for sale yet. the chesterfield store said the truck arrives on monday and the game will be on the shelves on tuesday morning. mid rivers store didn't know anything about it, and tried to tell me the $9.99 pre-sell box actually contained the full version

*rolls eyes*

bread's done
Back