Doom Gold Edition $99.99 ($79.99 GCU) Only at Best Buy

I originally ordered the Doom: Collector's Edition, mainly for the Steelbook. But now, with this Gold Edition that includes the Season Pass AND the Steelbook for half the price, it is a no brainer. Tack on the $10 coupon promotion, and this is the better of the two deals.

That CE was disappointing as fuck, plus that statue I am sure will look like shit anyways.
Same here. I'll keep both pre-orders open and if the statue doesn't live up to the hype, I'll return it back to BBY.

Is the CE include the same steelbook? The CE states it includes a Metal pack, but the gold edition states it's a steelbook. I checked both edition, and they had different images.

Is the CE include the same steelbook? The CE states it includes a Metal pack, but the gold edition states it's a steelbook. I checked both edition, and they had different images.
HIGHLY doubt they would spend the cash to develop two different Steelbooks. My guess is it is the same one.

Thank you for guys for pointing out that the DLC was multiplayer only. Definitely not interested. "Back in the day" there would be single player Doom expansion packs that were a lot of fun and I was hoping that's what the DLC would be here.
Totally agree. If the season pass included some single player content, I might be interested. But with just 3 multiplayer maps, it's not worth it at all, to me.

In fact, if the single player content is pretty weak (which it seems like it might be, due to their focus on MP), I'll probably just wait until Black Friday and get the game for sub-$20.

I want the game and the steel book, not sure if I could stomach buying the season pass for it.

Also for the free doom 1&2 games is that a packed in voucher or only available if you preordered digitally? I see no mention of it in BBY description

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. If the season pass included some single player content, I might be interested. But with just 3 multiplayer maps, it's not worth it at all, to me.

In fact, if the single player content is pretty weak (which it seems like it might be, due to their focus on MP), I'll probably just wait until Black Friday and get the game for sub-$20.
Now you're just talking crazy talk.

Now you're just talking crazy talk.
Why? Doom has always been about SP content, but this new version seems to be placing heavy emphasis on MP. If that's where they are taking the series, I'm out. I've always preferred SP FPS games, so having the MP content as the main draw is just lame.

Why? Doom has always been about SP content, but this new version seems to be placing heavy emphasis on MP. If that's where they are taking the series, I'm out. I've always preferred SP FPS games, so having the MP content as the main draw is just lame.
Oh, I agree with you on all of those points, though just waiting on a ZOMG! AMAZING! game like Doom sound like crazy talk on CAG.

I'm just a sucker for the damn steelbook.

Wut? I LAN partied Doom / Doom 2 in the early 90s. WTF is this SP content BS?

I'm still unsure there's only one steelbook, btw. From images, it looks like there may be two similar looking ones -- one has Cyberdemon, and the other the Revenent. The new Cyberdemon looks generic as fuck.

What planet are you living on?

I would have liked if they included the HD version of doom 3 for nex gen.

As for the multiplayer, the beta was fun but a little shallow. If they want doom to compete online this should be a game with free maps, otherwise it will die off like Star Wars battlefront as few are buying an expensive season pass

Very torn on this. Season passes to me are the biggest wastes of money, and with this bundle, I'd essentially be paying for something I have zero interest in. That said, I could always get it and sell the season pass to a friend who intended to buy it anyway or something.

Decisions...

With Battlefield 5, Sci-Fi COD, and Titanfall 2 releasing by the end of the year, you're absolutely correct.
Got overwatch as well will capture quite a bit of attention.

Then the mainly single player games that have a fairly healthy online community like uncharted 4 and gears of War.

I see doom mp drying up fairly quickly and being boiled down to just the hardcore doom fans by summer.

With Battlefield 5, Sci-Fi COD, and Titanfall 2 releasing by the end of the year, you're absolutely correct.
I think you're mistaken about that. The three games you're talking live to cannibalize each other. DOOM's going to appeal to the wide audience that's sick of Call of Duty (which makes Titanfall basically useless to them). Battlefield, I think that one will struggle. DICE has thrown out two games the weren't well-received in a row with BF4's bugs and Battlefront's lack of content. It'll be interesting to see how many go with that game.

Have you played this? Because the characters look like Halo Spartans, you carry two weapons, create loadouts, and have third person melee kills

It is way too Halo for me
Can I just point out, for the record, that Halo Spartans look like Doom Guy, not the other way around.

Can I just point out, for the record, that Halo Spartans look like Doom Guy, not the other way around.
no, they don't. Other than "space marine armor", they're pretty different designs. The character on the cover looks like Doom Guy (except for no exposed midriff), the ones in the multiplayer just look like Halo 3/ODST-onwards Spartan designs:

08n25F8.jpg

Like, sure, the original The Master Chief design is the most Doom-like, but from there every time new Spartan armor has appeared it's changed.

It doesn't really matter overall, but it's just another contributing factor to make it hilarious that people are saying it's "nothing like Halo".

The wording on the site is throwing me.

"Includes DOOM game for Xbox One, Season Pass and collectible steelbook case."

So does it come with the standard game/case, the pass, and a separate steebook case? Or is the game in the steelbook?

I've only ever seen them separate, back when I bought Dragon Ball Xenoverse, the steelbook was separate. Just wondering if anyone knew for sure or not.

Is this a primarily multiplayer game, or did they invest a lot into single player modes also?

Does anyone know?
There is a single player mode but that the problem. There so much on the Multiplayer that SP might just be crap and probably only 10 levels. Beta - Multiplayer only, DLC- Multiplayer only. Thought Snapmap was for customizing SP maps but that probably MP only too. The game is riddle with so much MP that I wouldn't be surprise they drop SP because of space.

No game needs a season pass, just another way for developers to squeeze another $50 out of people, you can thank COD fans for this. I remember when I used to play Q3A, UT, and CS there were tons of mods and fan made maps.... For free

The one thing I miss about pc gaming, the thing that drove me out was the annoyingly fast changes to technology. I don't have the time or stamina to invest into it anymore.
This is what chased me out of it. The constantly changing tech. Got tired of the upgrade cycles back in the day. Will say the season passes have kind of replaced that now on my annoying scale...

There is a single player mode but that the problem. There so much on the Multiplayer that SP might just be crap and probably only 10 levels. Beta - Multiplayer only, DLC- Multiplayer only. Thought Snapmap was for customizing SP maps but that probably MP only too. The game is riddle with so much MP that I wouldn't be surprise they drop SP because of space.
Yep, that's why I decided to pass on the game, will wait for blowout BF price later this year. Way too much emphasis on MP, no planned SP DLC, not enough content for SP play.

bread's done
Back