Drag Me To Hell discussion

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Did anyone else see this movie? I thought it looked absolutely dreadful, but after checking out Rotten Tomatoes and seeing all of the love, I decided to check it out.

All I gotta say is, wow! One of the best horror movies I've ever seen (especially for a modern horror flick.) It was honestly amazing.

What did the rest of you CAGs think?

----------------------

Rotten Tomatoes link:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/drag_me_to_hell/

Drag Me To Hell trailer:
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/drag-me-to-hell/trailer

You serious? I thought the trailer made it look like the biggest pile of shit.

Now I actually have to contemplate seeing this.

I am a huge horror movie fan and after watching the trailers, I thought it would suck. After seeing the ratings on RottenTomatoes.com however, I decided that I would watch it tonight. Glad to hear the movie is great.

[quote name='zewone']You serious? I thought the trailer made it look like the biggest pile of shit.

Now I actually have to contemplate seeing this.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ananag112']I am a huge horror movie fan and after watching the trailers, I thought it would suck. After seeing the ratings on RottenTomatoes.com however, I decided that I would watch it tonight. Glad to hear the movie is great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah guys, I thought it looked terrible as well but my friend got me to go with him. Whoever created the trailers did an awful, awful job because the movie is very tongue-in-cheek. It's fairly humorous while remaining spooky still. Definitely check it out.

I figured this would be a laughable/B-Horror movie with something nice to look (read: Alison Lohman), but now I may have to reconsider watching this.

I just want to make a comment.

Remember the time you were a kid and you were riding one of those ghost trains?
It's like that. In your face kinda.
I usually dismiss most new horror flixxs, mostly because their either to gory or don't built tension.
This one did it very well. Altough my experiance got spoiled with all the teenager in the movie.
Anyway, if you like movies they are not to gory but scary watch it. You don't regret it.

i was done by th evil dead guy right( sam raimi or something) i dunno if its worth the price of a ticket but i will check it out later on down the line. funny how many movies have gypsies putting curses on people. i miss good R Rated movies. Terminator should have been an R. Hell i bet goonies would be considered an R movie by todays standards.

I never see this type of movie, but my friends were wanting to go and I saw the Rotten Tomatoes score and knew Sam Raimi directed it so I went and saw it last night. I can't really compare it to similar movies (although I could tell Raimi was at work because I have seen Evil Dead) but I thought it was really good. Nice mixture of scary and gross parts as well as plenty of humor.

Edit: This is only PG-13? Wow, what does it take to get an R rating?

It's also at 94% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes with 136 reviews tallied. I may have to check this out if I get a chance.

Since Sam Raimi was involved I was keeping high hopes even though the trailer looked like crap. Glad to hear it seems to be a great movie!

I legit cannot believe the reviews this is getting. Like others have said, the trailers made this movie look like a joke, but I think I'll go see it soon.

I saw it last night and a couple of thoughts here:

1. The plot of the film was ripped from those old 1950's Tales from the Crypt comics. It had a very retro feel in a certain way and I enjoyed that.

2. There were a lot of inventive stuff in the movie
The possessed hankerchief, the talking goat. Also Raimi knew how to use spacing, utilized the plot beats effectively and developed a rhythm in the film. For example, the long period of time when the fortune teller held Alison Lohman's hand before he said anything or the funeral scene which suddenly appeared on camera. Good stuff!!

3. It was kinda like Evil Dead light...which is good for people who couldn't stomach the Evil Dead series. Still I prefer the Evil Dead movies to this one.

Whoever made the trailer should get shitcanned. Trailers are critical for movies like this. That's the difference between #1 at the box office and home video cult classic.

Going to watch this movie was a coin toss for me. However, seeing how all the CAGs have good things to say about, I assume I'll be seeing it this coming weekend (once I'm done with my term paper).

fucking awesome. I saw it last night and it was one of the most fun movies to watch in a long time.

The only thing which was bad were the people in my theater. Too many people were talking and were really loud. During the second "scary" scene
The part where the old lady is in the car
in the movie, a lot of people in my theater started walking or running out (because I guess it was too scary for them or their kids). The whole theater though saw them and started laughing at them and yelling profanity at them. Some jerk also poured popcorn on them as well as they were exiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were people talking when I saw it too but I thought they were funny for the most part. People talking during movies doesn't seem to bother as much as other people.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I never see this type of movie, but my friends were wanting to go and I saw the Rotten Tomatoes score and knew Sam Raimi directed it so I went and saw it last night. I can't really compare it to similar movies (although I could tell Raimi was at work because I have seen Evil Dead) but I thought it was really good. Nice mixture of scary and gross parts as well as plenty of humor.

Edit: This is only PG-13? Wow, what does it take to get an R rating?[/QUOTE]

barney hugging people = r rating :)

about the popcorn thing.. I remember during cloverfeild or another show (maybe 28 months later) yes its been that long since i seen a show in the theathers.... The manager came in and stopped the movie and a few cops came in after people was throwing popcorn at some people about 4 rows down.... Cops said they could arrest them for assult..

LOL ASSULT with popcorn

Was planning on seeing this on Tuesday with a free ticket to Fast and Furious i have that says "or any Universal movie" - glad to see its supposed to be good. Though i would still see it anyway since Sam is the man. My only question is "Was Bruce Campbell in this somewhere?"

man im still waiting for another great zombie movie. that last one i saw that was remotely good was dead snow and before that shaun of the dead. the zombie genre is dying as is the werewolf genre but not the vampries but thats mostly due to chicks. btw wasnt raimi going to do another evil dead at some point?

[quote name='Pookymeister']Was planning on seeing this on Tuesday with a free ticket to Fast and Furious i have that says "or any Universal movie" - glad to see its supposed to be good. Though i would still see it anyway since Sam is the man. My only question is "Was Bruce Campbell in this somewhere?"[/QUOTE]

this isnt a universal movie is it?

Yeah, it's a Universal movie. The logo at the beginning of the movie is the same one from the 80s/90s, the one that was at the beginning of Army of Darkness.

Bruce Campbell, unfortunately, is not in the movie. I read that he was offered a role but turned it down due to being busy with Burn Notice.

And the zombie genre isn't really dying. There's just peaks and valleys. 2004 was definitely a peak, with Shaun and the Dawn remake (doesn't hold a candle to the original of course, but was pretty damn good for what it was). Another good one will come out eventually.

Sadly, most of the "valleys" in the zombie genre these days comes directly from George Romero himself. Land and Diary were disappointing as hell.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Sadly, most of the "valleys" in the zombie genre these days comes directly from George Romero himself. Land and Diary were disappointing as hell.[/QUOTE]

very much so. land still brings tears to my eyes with how horrible it was. funny enough i liked the dawn of the dead remake but i heard the day of the dead remake was total shit. i think nick cannon was in it.

[quote name='lokizz']man im still waiting for another great zombie movie. that last one i saw that was remotely good was dead snow and before that shaun of the dead. the zombie genre is dying as is the werewolf genre but not the vampries but thats mostly due to chicks. btw wasnt raimi going to do another evil dead at some point?[/QUOTE]

Benicio Del Toro is staring in a new Werewolf movie.

[quote name='lokizz']man im still waiting for another great zombie movie. that last one i saw that was remotely good was dead snow and before that shaun of the dead. the zombie genre is dying as is the werewolf genre but not the vampries but thats mostly due to chicks. btw wasnt raimi going to do another evil dead at some point?[/QUOTE]

The werewolf genre is doing just fine....
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3874588672/tt1259571
;)

The trailer made this movie look terrible. I saw an advertisement online for it, showing the fly go up the girl's nose, and I was like "Ugh, just another bad horror movie." Anyway, I saw it, and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Still very fun at parts, but predictable and a little boring at others.

And you knew when she got the envelope in the car, that it was the one with the coin in it, that she gave to her boyfriend! Ugh, it was so obvious in a situational irony sort of way. It was a shame she had to die!
< EXTREME SPOILER HERE. ONLY CLICK IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE END OF THE MOVIE.

No doubt the best horror movie I've seen in the past 5+ years. Raimi shows the world how to do a PG-13 horror movie right.

I'm surprised with what they got away with. Make no mistake, the movie is a gory, bloody movie, PG-13 be damned.

[quote name='FallMoon']The trailer made this movie look terrible. I saw an advertisement online for it, showing the fly go up the girl's nose, and I was like "Ugh, just another bad horror movie." Anyway, I saw it, and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Still very fun at parts, but predictable and a little boring at others.

And you knew when she got the envelope in the car, that it was the one with the coin in it, that she gave to her boyfriend! Ugh, it was so obvious in a situational irony sort of way. It was a shame she had to die!
< EXTREME SPOILER HERE. ONLY CLICK IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE END OF THE MOVIE.[/QUOTE]

You had to know going in that she was going to die, the entire film set it up beautifully. It would have been a total cop out if she somehow survived, although for a brief moment at the end I almost thought Justin Long was going to die in her place.

Bumping this thread because this movie is so fucking awesome. I'm rarely willing to pay theater prices, and I think it was totally worth it. If you have the slightest affection for horror movies, you have to see it!

[quote name='-Never4ever-']No doubt the best horror movie I've seen in the past 5+ years. Raimi shows the world how to do a PG-13 horror movie right.

I'm surprised with what they got away with. Make no mistake, the movie is a gory, bloody movie, PG-13 be damned.

You had to know going in that she was going to die, the entire film set it up beautifully. It would have been a total cop out if she somehow survived, although for a brief moment at the end I almost thought Justin Long was going to die in her place.
[/QUOTE]

Regarding that...
I love how her death was so abrupt. When she was digging up the grave I was annoyed because it all seemed too easy, and for a second I was worried Raimi took a cliched way out. But nope, she dies, movie ends ;)

Hilarious.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']

[/QUOTE]

Yea, i thought they were going to pull a 'Thinner'ish ending there

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Sadly, most of the "valleys" in the zombie genre these days comes directly from George Romero himself. Land and Diary were disappointing as hell.[/QUOTE]

I thought Diary was done well, and was pretty interesting. Doesn't hold up to his previous works, but it was nice.

Land was terrible, though. Only redeeming thing in the movie was John Leguizamo.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']
Land was terrible, though. Only redeeming thing in the movie was John Leguizamo.[/QUOTE]

It's called the "Dennis Hopper Effect". Any modern movie he has appeared in since Waterworld is destined to suck.

the beginning of he film was awesome and then it got hokey and cheesy when he started pulling the usual evil dead shit in the film and the ending was cool. if he middle of the movie had kept the same sense of fear and excitement that you got at the beginning and the end it would have been an awesome movie but in the end it wasnt. its almst like he started out doing something diff and then fell back int his usual evil dead stuff and suddely chaned his mind at the end. the main chick in the movie was damn hott though oh man was she smoking.

[quote name='lokizz']the beginning of he film was awesome and then it got hokey and cheesy when he started pulling the usual evil dead shit in the film and the ending was cool. if he middle of the movie had kept the same sense of fear and excitement that you got at the beginning and the end it would have been an awesome movie but in the end it wasnt. its almst like he started out doing something diff and then fell back int his usual evil dead stuff and suddely chaned his mind at the end. the main chick in the movie was damn hott though oh man was she smoking.[/QUOTE]

She was smoking all right......:cool: especially at the end.

[quote name='Xevious']
She was smoking all right......:cool: especially at the end.
[/QUOTE]

lmao yes she was damn waste if you ask me.

bread's done
Back