Dragon Quest IV-quick save broken?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
I seem to have found a huge bug with Dragon Quest IV. If you use quick save, it doesn't seem to actually save. I start the game again, and it just goes back to where I last did a 'real' save, with all my stats and everything lost.

Is this an issue for everyone? And does it affect REGULAR saves at all? I could just avoid quick saving, but I'm a bit worried that if that doesn't work, my regular save might randomly not work too. I don't want to dump 40 hours or whatever into one of these guys and lose all of it.

As long as I'm asking about this, during the first chapters, should I be using the permanent stat power up items I'm finding them? I've just been holding on to them 'cause I don't need them yet and I figured I could use them later when I have my whole party...

But then it occurred to me that maybe you lose them after that chapter. Maybe I should be using them on a character as soon as I get them. (Already missed out on upgrading the knight guy in chapter 1 in that case.)

[quote name='Wolfpup']As long as I'm asking about this, during the first chapters, should I be using the permanent stat power up items I'm finding them? I've just been holding on to them 'cause I don't need them yet and I figured I could use them later when I have my whole party...

But then it occurred to me that maybe you lose them after that chapter. Maybe I should be using them on a character as soon as I get them. (Already missed out on upgrading the knight guy in chapter 1 in that case.)[/quote]
Everything you stash in the bag is saved between chapters. As soon as the Hero(ine) meets up with a character, their bag is added to the collective one for the party. If the items are on the character themself, unless they are equipped they disappear for good (to my knowledge).

As far as the stat seeds... save 'em for your Hero. Once you get the secret character,
Psaro the Manslayer
, you'll find that the Hero needs all the stat boosts he/she can get, otherwise your new character will be ridiculously uber-powerful in comparison.

And if you haven't beaten the merchant Torneko's chapter, here's a great trick to make some cash.
Make him work in the shop in Lakanaba until a customer comes in and sells a Cautery Sword, then leave. When you've gotten wealthy enough, buy as many Cautery Swords as you can afford and sell them at your shop in Endor. Then use the cash to buy more swords. Rinse, repeat, until you're at least in the 100k range. Then pay for the tunnel expedition, liquidate your cash by buying as many Cautery Swords as you can, and stash them in your bag. Later, once the Hero meets Torneko, keep one sword for the Hero and sell the rest. I sold about 20 and I had enough cash to buy whatever I wanted for almost the rest of the game.

Thanks! Well, unfortunatly I think I had most/all those stat boosters in my character's inventory, not the bag, so I guess I've lost them. I'll stick all of them in my bag for this chapter though.

I may have to do that sword trick! (Although maybe it's not too big of a deal as usually saving money and leveling up kind of go hand in hand?)

bread's done
Back