Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI coming to North America!

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Official Dragon Quest IV DS site now open!

http://na.square-enix.com/dq4/

Scheduled for Sept. 16th North American release...

Also pretty much confirmed that V and VI are coming out too!

The English titles are:

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie

I am by no means being a crab-ass about this series getting some Western recognition for a change, but didn't DWIV already come out in the US on the NES?

I'm glad to see the remakes coming, as it helps set the stage for DQIX on the DS.

[quote name='mykevermin']I am by no means being a crab-ass about this series getting some Western recognition for a change, but didn't DWIV already come out in the US on the NES?

I'm glad to see the remakes coming, as it helps set the stage for DQIX on the DS.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it did, but this remake is a MASSIVE overhaul of the game. It's not just a port with teh graphix or a bullshit remake like the GBA ports of FFI/II. They reworked the whole game. Your allies are no longer controlled by AI, there's whole new segments added to the game, and that's just for starters. This is pretty much a whole new game.

But seriously, you're attempting to compare a DS remake to a 20 year old NES game in the first place? Come on.

Additionally, we were promised essentially this remake here in America on the PSone. There was even an ad in the DQVII manual for it. Then the developers of the game had a falling out with Enix, and the plans were nuked. This caused a lot of spite with hardcore fans for years to come. This spite was only abated with this very announcement. However, this game is not just a port of the PSone remake (which DID come out in Japan); they added still MORE to it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
Additionally, we were promised essentially this remake here in America on the PSone. There was even an ad in the DQVII manual for it. Then the developers of the game had a falling out with Enix, and the plans were nuked. This caused a lot of spite with hardcore fans for years to come. This spite was only abated with this very announcement. However, this game is not just a port of the PSone remake (which DID come out in Japan); they added still MORE to it.[/quote]

Was that this one? I thought it was 5, hm. I wonder if I should get this one since I was never able to finish 7.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Was that this one? I thought it was 5, hm. I wonder if I should get this one since I was never able to finish 7.[/QUOTE]

It was 4. There WAS a remake of 5 released on PS2 in Japan that also did not get released here, however, there were never any plans to bring that over here.

Oh yeah, and my boyfriend was in Japan a month ago for work and DQIV DS was STILL sold out there wherever he checked. It came out last November there.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']But seriously, you're attempting to compare a DS remake to a 20 year old NES game in the first place? Come on.[/QUOTE]

simmer down, Tex. Just providing some perspective. Ain't my fault if I have low expectations for S-E remakes. I like to play the odds.

[quote name='option.iv']I'm curious, how do these Dragon Quest games play? Are they just like any other JRPGs?[/QUOTE]
That's pretty much their defining feature.

Will definitely get IV for nostalgia/never beat it the first time purposes, but I'll probably be sick of DQ "you can only save in a church"-type conventions by time V rolls around.

Hellz yeah! I've been praying for V and VI to come out in America for the last 10 years. Looks like I wasn't wasting my time after all.

[quote name='pete5883']I'll probably be sick of DQ "you can only save in a church"-type conventions by time V rolls around.[/QUOTE]

Three cheers for the DS' sleep feature!

[quote name='mykevermin']Three cheers for the DS' sleep feature![/QUOTE]
Hip Hip Hooray!

I didn't mean that feature specifically, I was more referring to the "they're only doing this cause thats how it was in Dragon Quest 1" features as a whole.

[quote name='mykevermin']simmer down, Tex. Just providing some perspective. Ain't my fault if I have low expectations for S-E remakes. I like to play the odds.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I totally agree with you there. But this remake goes against the odds. ;)

I'm soooooo excited. And very happy they are on the DS instead of PSP. I don't have a PSP and would be so miffed it they came to America only to be on a system I didn't have.

Wow! Dragon 9, 4, 5 and 6 = $120 - $160 !!! Hope Square-Enix fix MSRP down $29.99 instead $39.99. I want to play all dragon quest games on 1st day but i do not want drop down $40 for handle game.

As someone who is currently playing Dragon Quest VIII as their first game in the main series (I might be the only person whose introduction to Dragon Quest was DQM: Joker) and is really enjoying it, this is great news.

I've been craving old-fashioned RPG's lately. I hope I'm still nostalgic by the time IV is released.

EDIT: Figured I'd make this post a little more useful and include some screenshots:

762.jpg

203.JPG

210.JPG

I just got my copy of Dragon Warrior 5 (in English) for SNES from this website http://www.gamereproductions.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=5c9c0d3517627b1adeedced9a898059a
The cart is in great shape and booted up in English with no problem. Now I just need to find some time to play it. I played all Dragon Warriors 1-4 and enjoyed them very much. I actually enjoyed the level grinding and making my characters into badasses. Since I already now have DQ 4 and 5, I am really pleased to see we will finally be getting a version of DQ6!

I just finished Dragon Warrior/Quest III for the GBC earlier tonight.

Great stuff. I'm not going to do the extras because I'm lazy :(

Maybe after MGS4!

Can't wait for DQ IV tho!

Year of the IV!

4th Gyakuten Saiban game (Apollo Justice)
GTA4
MGS4
SCIV
SFIV
DQIV

!
!
!

This sucks. I'm tempted to but a DS for these, but I know I won't end up playing them on a handheld. Any way to play DS games on a regular tv like a console?

[quote name='MarkMan']I just finished Dragon Warrior/Quest III for the GBC earlier tonight.

Great stuff. I'm not going to do the extras because I'm lazy :(

Maybe after MGS4!

Can't wait for DQ IV tho!

Year of the IV!

4th Gyakuten Saiban game (Apollo Justice)
GTA4
MGS4
SCIV
SFIV
DQIV

!
!
![/QUOTE]

I replayed DWIII on GBC this summer. Great times. I also played DWI&II on GBC. All good fun, especially since they toned down the amount of grinding on I&II.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I just got my copy of Dragon Warrior 5 (in English) for SNES from this website http://www.gamereproductions.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=5c9c0d3517627b1adeedced9a898059a
The cart is in great shape and booted up in English with no problem. Now I just need to find some time to play it. I played all Dragon Warriors 1-4 and enjoyed them very much. I actually enjoyed the level grinding and making my characters into badasses. Since I already now have DQ 4 and 5, I am really pleased to see we will finally be getting a version of DQ6![/QUOTE]

Woah. What a cool site.

[quote name='mykevermin']Woah. What a cool site.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='from website']Q: Is This Legal?
A: Creating these cart's that were never released into the US market, are Legal. None of the developer's, programmers, or company's are losing money due to this. These are game's that were never released, and therfore not taking away from any of there profits.[/quote]

Grammar that bad makes baby Jesus cry. Interesting concept, though.

I never did get around to playing DW4. I loved 1 and 2 back in the day, but I'm not sure I could handle the grinding gameplay these days. I tried the DQ8 demo but that goddamn Dragonball Z stuff annoyed me and I was concerned about the game length being unnecessary.

[quote name='mykevermin']simmer down, Tex. Just providing some perspective. Ain't my fault if I have low expectations for S-E remakes. I like to play the odds.[/quote]

Square-Enix did an awesome job with Final Fantasy III on the DS, their ports are not always grand but what remakes have they botched?

Dragon Quest games are for the more masochistic game fans... I like the visuals but generally dislike the gameplay.

[quote name='willardhaven']Square-Enix did an awesome job with Final Fantasy III on the DS, their ports are not always grand but what remakes have they botched?

Dragon Quest games are for the more masochistic game fans... I like the visuals but generally dislike the gameplay.[/quote]They botched most of the PS1 ports.

[quote name='banpeikun']They botched most of the PS1 ports.[/quote]

Right and SE learned from that. They're more careful of who they let port/remake older titles now.

I didn't really like DW7 but I'm really looking forward to these DS ones for whatever reason. I also tried DQ8 but never played beyond an hour.

[quote name='Hostile']I didn't really like DW7 but I'm really looking forward to these DS ones for whatever reason. I also tried DQ8 but never played beyond an hour.[/QUOTE]

The first hour of 8 is a nightmare because it's extremely difficult for the opening of a game. I played the demo and crossed it off my list of games to buy.

I found it for ~$10-$20 and decided to give it another go. The game really picks up after that. As long as you're into grinding and all of the other necessities of "olde-style" RPG's, it's a great game.

I'm not sure how I feel about RPGs anymore. On paper, every time I read about them, I get excited but when I play them, I don't get far or finish. That's why handheld ones appeal to me.

I've only played 1, 2, and 8, but if these are similar then I'm definitely in for at least 1 or 2 of them (after CT of course, having never played that either).

bread's done
Back