Dragon Quest IX a Wii exclusive?

Reality's Fringe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
This is supposedly mentioned in the new issue of EGM. Since it takes fucking forever for my EGM to get here, I was wondering if anyone can confirm where/how this is mentioned?

Reality's Fringe;2035802 said:
This is supposedly mentioned in the new issue of EGM. Since it takes fucking forever for my EGM to get here, I was wondering if anyone can confirm where/how this is mentioned?

Are you talking about the July issue with CoD3 on the cover? If so, I don't think so. The post E3 Wii article says that Dragon Quest Swords is an exclusive, but I don't think that is DQ9.

[quote name='lebowsky']Are you talking about the July issue with CoD3 on the cover? If so, I don't think so. The post E3 Wii article says that Dragon Quest Swords is an exclusive, but I don't think that is DQ9.[/QUOTE]

No, it's supposed to be the new issue. I don't have any more info than that, but I know it's not in the one with the COD3 cover.

[quote name='Strell']Wow.

Nintendo would have bought Japan if that were to happen.[/QUOTE]

And I would once again credit Nintendo for making me ejaculate as a result of their lineup.

"The buzz going around is that in the newest issue of EGM to hit magazine stands, a staff writer by the name of Quarterman states that Dragon Quest IX will be a Wii exclusive."

I very much doubt it. The DQ series has always been very slow about adopting new platforms, preferring to go with the more numerous incumbent. DQVII appeared well after the PS2 was dominant but still was just a PS1 game that could run on a huge installed base. They didn't do a native PS2 game until long after the machine had seen nearly every other franchise not locked into a competing platform. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them do another PS2 game before choosing a new platform.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']"The buzz going around is that in the newest issue of EGM to hit magazine stands, a staff writer by the name of Quarterman states that Dragon Quest IX will be a Wii exclusive."[/quote]

Being that Quarterman is the rumors guy, it's definitely not confirmed.

[quote name='Strell']Wow.

Nintendo would have bought Japan if that were to happen.[/QUOTE]

True... almost in a sad way.

Not bad news at all, considering I'll be getting a Wii no matter what.

One game? Feh.

Even if it's a game so popular that there is a federal law that either makes every DQ game release day a national holiday (since nobody goes to work/school on those days), it's still one game

Sony still has some nice exclusives on the PS3, though this would be an enormous acquisition. Wouldn't mean dick in the states, but it sure would in Japan. Kinda like if GTA became 360 exclusive - it would hurt PS3 in the States, but nobody would bat an eye in Japan.

[quote name='mykevermin']Kinda like if GTA became 360 exclusive - it would hurt PS3 in the States, but nobody would bat an eye in Japan.[/quote]Good analogy.

And that got me thinking. In America, some of the big hits are Madden, GTA, and Halo. In Japan, it's Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Certain "highbrow" gamers complain about the nonsense that is GTA and wish we had more JRPGs and whatnot. In Japan, is there a select group of people who decry their brethren for frothing over another RPG and instead wish they could get more titles like The Godfather, 25 to Life, 187 Ride or Die, and Flavor-of-the-month Best Shooter Ever?

Quarterman is the worst source of new information ever. His rumors are absolutely supposed to be taken with a bucket of salt. I wonder if it's even the same guy as it was back in the day? Why do we even have print versions of magazines with Gamespot and IGN around? Anyways, I didn't see anything on this.

[quote name='Z-Saber']In Japan, is there a select group of people who decry their brethren for frothing over another RPG and instead wish they could get more titles like The Godfather, 25 to Life, 187 Ride or Die, and Flavor-of-the-month Best Shooter Ever?[/quote]
haha. Its hard for me to imagine, but they must exist. They'd be losers of the highest order.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']haha. Its hard for me to imagine, but they must exist. They'd be losers of the highest order.[/QUOTE]
If there is anything similar to the thuggish Asian-American clique in Japan, then they would be the ones. And they're probably the few thousand 360 purchases :D

[quote name='botticus']And they're probably the few thousand 360 purchases :D[/quote]Hehe, I intentionally tried not to go there... but now that you mention it...

The way I see it? This could happen.

Final Fantasy (the main series) is too big to move on to another console... sure it was always known in Japan, but here and Europe, it gained its huge status on the PS1.

Dragon Quest on the other hand, never really garnered much popularity here or in Europe. So they could easily move it over to the Wii without having it overshadowed by the FF series.

This way, the PS line has FF and the Wii has DQ- without either one being overshadowed by another due to both on the same system.

[quote name='opportunity777']Quarterman is the worst source of new information ever. His rumors are absolutely supposed to be taken with a bucket of salt. I wonder if it's even the same guy as it was back in the day? Why do we even have print versions of magazines with Gamespot and IGN around? Anyways, I didn't see anything on this.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it is the same person. I think that's why they keep him a character. Regardless, he has still broken several big stories months or even years before they happened--sometimes hinting at obscure things he wasn't proven right on for a long while. But you're right about the salt.

Not going to happen. Square-Enix is not dumb enough to turn on 2 million units sold and not to put this on a Playstation console.

[quote name='Msia']Not going to happen. Square-Enix is not dumb enough to turn on 2 million units sold and not to put this on a Playstation console.[/QUOTE]

Well... when a majority of the Japanese have shown an interest in the Wii and only some have shown interest in the PS3, I think they'd stand a better chance at 2 million on the Wii.:)

[quote name='Msia']Not going to happen. Square-Enix is not dumb enough to turn on 2 million units sold and not to put this on a Playstation console.[/QUOTE]

This is also why I think it won't happen.

However, when Namco and Sega both ignore the fact that their franchises sold the best on the Gamecube (Soul Calibur, Sonic titles, etc), I have to wonder.

Doesn't Sony (still) own a chunk of Square Enix? They bought a lot of Square stock (19% of the company) about five years ago; don't know if they held on to it after the merger with Enix.

I think that would be a factor as to where DQIX will end up, more than anything else.

[quote name='blueshinra']Doesn't Sony (still) own a chunk of Square Enix? They bought a lot of Square stock (19% of the company) about five years ago; don't know if they held on to it after the merger with Enix.

I think that would be a factor as to where DQIX will end up, more than anything else.[/QUOTE]
If they really had that much sway, I doubt they would have "let" Squeenix put DQ games on DS and Wii in the first place. Sure it's not in direct competition, but I'm sure if Sony had their way, DQ would be tied to the PlayStation brand.

[quote name='mykevermin']One game? Feh.

Even if it's a game so popular that there is a federal law that either makes every DQ game release day a national holiday (since nobody goes to work/school on those days), it's still one game[/quote]

I would argue that the Xbox survived by a large part due to Halo. Without Halo, the Xbox would probably not have had as much "success" as it has.

Also, if this does somehow turn out to be true, this will be a system seller for the Wii in Japan. With a recent poll showing that a large percentage of Japanese gamers are more interested in the Wii than the PS3, Nintendo could gain some serious ground.

Of course all of this is speculation based on a rumor section in EGM, but don't underestimate the power of one game. It can get consoles into homes.

Link to joystiq article about the poll:

http://www.joystiq.com/page/2/

[quote name='Msia']Not going to happen. Square-Enix is not dumb enough to turn on 2 million units sold and not to put this on a Playstation console.[/quote]

Mm.. DQ8 did not sell so many untis here in the states, therefore i think it is maybe not dumb at all to bind that franchise to the Wii.
FF is another thing, where it is basically tied to the Playstation.
But, so far there are only rumors. We will see how turns out later.

[quote name='blueshinra']Doesn't Sony (still) own a chunk of Square Enix? They bought a lot of Square stock (19% of the company) about five years ago; don't know if they held on to it after the merger with Enix.

I think that would be a factor as to where DQIX will end up, more than anything else.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about when Sony basically save Square's ass after the Spirits Within flop? I don't think Sony officially got anything form that except a little under the table exclusive partnership for a few years.

[quote name='opportunity777']Why do we even have print versions of magazines with Gamespot and IGN around?[/QUOTE]

Because you can't read Gamespot and IGN in the bathroom.

I got the new issue and it states:

(quote)
Yet another mana game is in the works, only this one's a little more social--
it appears Square Enix is working on a massively multiplayer online mana game. Think it's coming out for Playstation 3? Wrong--- it's for the Wii.

Speaking of the Nintendo's new console, if the upcoming Dragon Quest games sell well on the DS and the Wii, I hear the 9th adventure will be a Wii exclusive.

(end quote)

So there you have it not exactly saying it for sure will be exclusive but sounds plausible if the other titles sell well.

(oh and I also typed the lead in paragraph cause I thought it was interesting,
yeah I know who cares what I think) lol

bread's done
Back