Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride topic

I remember having a similar problem with the Chess Set. Just try talking to everyone in the castle, I don't think the bartender is the one who gives it. Sorry, it's been awhile.

Last board is post-game. The other boards are in the fairy world where the ice dungeon was and on the demon world world map directly south of the final dungeon. The pass is for passing the demon world board.

bumping this old thread instead of making a new one. The screens I have seen point to having monsters in the party. Are you forced to use them or can you use real people for all the spots and thus avoid using the monsters? If it was already answered then sorry, but since the game has been out so long I didn't want to read the thread and stumble on spoilers.

[quote name='Ryukahn']bumping this old thread instead of making a new one. The screens I have seen point to having monsters in the party. Are you forced to use them or can you use real people for all the spots and thus avoid using the monsters? If it was already answered then sorry, but since the game has been out so long I didn't want to read the thread and stumble on spoilers.[/QUOTE]

Generally for the majority of the game you can pick and choose who you want in the party. There are some missions and parts of the game where for the story's sake, you have to keep them in. Otherwise you don't need to have monsters, and can keep humans in the game if you want. I personally like having my metal slime :3. So very much fun he is :D

[quote name='Squarehard']Generally for the majority of the game you can pick and choose who you want in the party. There are some missions and parts of the game where for the story's sake, you have to keep them in. Otherwise you don't need to have monsters, and can keep humans in the game if you want. I personally like having my metal slime :3. So very much fun he is :D[/QUOTE]

Awesome thanks. I am not opposed to the monsters, I just don't want to be forced to use them at all times in case I don't really like them. Knowing that I have options is great!

[quote name='Ryukahn']Awesome thanks. I am not opposed to the monsters, I just don't want to be forced to use them at all times in case I don't really like them. Knowing that I have options is great![/QUOTE]

Yar, but some of the monsters are just so :3, you just can't say no :bouncy:

Beat this again a week ago, and I have to say, it's not my favorite by any means.

Folks say this has the best story of all DQs, but I think 8 had a pretty good story too.

[quote name='2DMention']
Folks say this has the best story of all DQs, but I think 8 had a pretty good story too.[/QUOTE]

If you like to watch your party members act like complete retards while the bad guys keep winning, sure 8 has a great story.

How many times do you just sit there and watch as yet another poor bastard gets possessed by the staff? You would think after the first 3 times they would just tie a bigass rope around the staff and lug it around with them. But no. A fucking dog gets possessed by it. Classic Level 5 story bullshit.

I actually enjoyed 8, but when my husband played through it, he pointed out how absurd the story was.

Wasn't Level 5 just glorified graphic monkeys for that game?

That was kinda weak with the staff, but c'mon - How can you not like the premise of a king and his princess wandering around trying to release a curse his kingdom has that was turned to plants?

You've gotta admit the production values were great for that game too.

I wish they would've put 9 on Wii so we could get all the great acting and graphics of 8. (Well, maybe the bosses actors weren't that great)

[quote name='2DMention']Wasn't Level 5 just glorified graphic monkeys for that game?

That was kinda weak with the staff, but c'mon - How can you not like the premise of a king and his princess wandering around trying to release a curse his kingdom has that was turned to plants?

You've gotta admit the production values were great for that game too.

I wish they would've put 9 on Wii so we could get all the great acting and graphics of 8. (Well, maybe the bosses actors weren't that great)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the premise was pretty good. The problem was the stuff I mentioned.

Just started playing this game today. Been craving a good old-fashioned style JRPG. I'm finding the game harder than usual, as it seems there's no way for me to grind and heal. Early in the game, you can't sleep/heal anywhere it seems. The hero and Bianca are so wimpy, I'm not sure how they're supposed to survive.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just started playing this game today. Been craving a good old-fashioned style JRPG. I'm finding the game harder than usual, as it seems there's no way for me to grind and heal. Early in the game, you can't sleep/heal anywhere it seems. The hero and Bianca are so wimpy, I'm not sure how they're supposed to survive.[/QUOTE]
What, really? I didn't find it any more or less difficult than other Dragon Quest games.

I beat DQV recently myself. Loved it, and it's now my new favorite DQ game, but did this bug anyone else? I thought it was weird that
all of the Zenithian equipment had plot scenes surrounding them except the Armour, which is treated like a mere hidden item in the Crocodopolis (yes, I completely overlooked it). You'd think it'd be heavily guarded by Nimzo's flunkies, instead of just locked away in a side room with no one guarding it. Worse yet, none of the NPCs talk about it, not even in Zenithia, unless there was something I missed or had forgotten about, and I'm pretty sure I didn't/hadn't.

[quote name='blueshinra']What, really? I didn't find it any more or less difficult than other Dragon Quest games.[/QUOTE]

I'm really early in, like maybe an hour. I'm trying to get into that tower to the north. Something about beating the tower and the town kids will stop pestering that cat. Only so far, I can't figure out how to get in. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']25 hours, and you did extra stuff!? Like I said above, I usually play pretty slowly through these games, and I'm 12 hours in and just a bit past the "choice" part. I thought I read in the IGN review that the game would take nearly 100 hours if you tried to do everything? That seemed excessive for a DS game, but I figured it would take way more than 25 anyway.[/QUOTE]

I am just coming out of the forest on this one. I have 100% knick-knacks, cleared the final TnT board and all I have left to do is grind the two bonus monsters up to 99. I am at 60 hours but I'd say about 35 of that is pure post game.

I'm still salty about missing the IX event so I think I am going to play another series/genre before going on to IX.

[quote name='cochesecochese']
I'm still salty about missing the IX event so I think I am going to play another series/genre before going on to IX.[/QUOTE]

Which event is this? You may want to get IX before Gamestop's event if you have a participating store near you.

[quote name='keithp']Which event is this? You may want to get IX before Gamestop's event if you have a participating store near you.[/QUOTE]
The launch event at the Nintendo World Store. I couldn't go for work related reasons and I'm still salty about it.

Ah well from the reviews it sounds like when I finally come around I have a hell of a game waiting for me.

I still need to get this one. Unfortunately the window of cheapness on it has long passed I guess. It still goes for around $40 at the places that still have it in stock.

Honestly the game is worth $40. You'll definitely get your dollars worth of playtime out of this one, that and the story is pretty heartwarming :)

Yes i got it for $40 at K-Mart and i super happy with my purchase, so worth it.
One of my top DS RPGs. Really a great game.

I gave up playing this game because I soo wanted to get the Liquid Metal Armour from the Metal Dragons. One of these days... I'll finally finish this game.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I gave up playing this game because I soo wanted to get the Liquid Metal Armour from the Metal Dragons. One of these days... I'll finally finish this game.[/QUOTE]

Heh...really? I have like 5 or 6 of those. It took me forever and a day to recruit a metal and liquid metal slime. Worth it though. In the time it took me I managed to max out Starkers and Rebjorn as well as all three Golems, my regular slimes, king slimes, cure slimes, all human characters and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. Great game. Well worth the $40.

I thought it was available on Amazon. I've also seen it available at Toys R Us. It's really good though. I highly recommend it.

[quote name='keithp']I added to my cart and it shows out of stock.[/QUOTE]Hmm weird. Still looks like it'll go through if you order though.

[quote name='maigoyume']Hmm weird. Still looks like it'll go through if you order though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kind of odd it looks like you can still put the order in. I didn't try it though, I ordered it online from somewhere else for the same price. I'm looking forward to playing it since everyone rates it so highly!! How long is the main story?

Im 30 hours in and still in Generation 3 but think im 3/4 the way thur.
Can be longer, i spent a lot of time leveling up and getting certain monsters.
Took me 2 day to finally get a King Cureslime.

Love the boy twin. He knows Kabuff, Multiheal, KaZing and Zap.
He's better than the Hero.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back