Dragon Quest V Reprint? $39.99 on Amazon

[quote name='thefunkyredcaboose']This was posted in the AWD thread, but I thought it deserved it's own place. DQV is now showing up on Amazon for $39.99.

It is "temporarily out of stock" but orders are being taken. Are we finally seeing a reprint?[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. I bought one used from Gamestop for 27 bones, but after getting it home I saw it was a bootleg. I returned it to GS and told them why. Needless to say it was back in the sale case the next day.

Yeah, I saw a couple of these back in Wyoming a while ago and picked 'em up because I thought they were rare. Glad I returned them!!

For those who do not lurk in the Kmart thread, Dragon Quest V DS was reduced (if found) to $29.99. My Kmart last time I checked had at least 4 copies left in stock, so you might be lucky to find it there if you are looking for it....

[quote name='Joe Fongul']For those who do not lurk in the Kmart thread, Dragon Quest V DS was reduced (if found) to $29.99. My Kmart last time I checked had at least 4 copies left in stock, so you might be lucky to find it there if you are looking for it....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my K-Mart has 2-3 copies left too.

Here's hopping for the best... Does amazon charge before they ship? or afterwards? I'm curious how long till they if back stock

[quote name='scottc1s']Here's hopping for the best... Does amazon charge before they ship? or afterwards? I'm curious how long till they if back stock[/QUOTE]

They charge when it ships, unless you're using a gift card then its charged right away

Is this game even worth $40? For someone who hasn't played any of the DQ games, is there any reason (besides the allure of getting something rare) that sets this one apart?

oh well, I got my copy for ~$30 from gamestop earlier this year and it's in pristine condition.

very interesting if this is a reprint.

[quote name='Achilles00']Is this game even worth $40? For someone who hasn't played any of the DQ games, is there any reason (besides the allure of getting something rare) that sets this one apart?[/QUOTE]

DQV is hailed by many as having the best story in the series. It's a tight remake and the game had never been made available in English before.

However, if you aren't a fan of DQ then it might not be up your ally. To me, it is easily worth the money.

I just saw this at my K-Mart on my lunch break for $29.99. So you guys are saying this is rare? I have DQIX but have only played a few hours and have never played any of the other ones. I guess if I get it I could just keep it sealed since I realistically wouldn't have the time to play it any time soon.

This is absolutely the best of the remakes (4, 5 and 6), and arguably the best in the series in certain respects. If you were only going to play through one of them or have any affection for rpgs of this type, you should absolutely hop on this wagon.

It's probably more worth it for someone who wants to play the game than it would be for someone who wants to flip them for profit. K-Mart is usually cited as one of the places they are most likely to be, for whatever reason. The one nearest me had several of them as recently as February. I kick myself for not buying the remaining stock and keeping one for myself while flipping the others on eBay to pay for my copy.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']If it's a reprint I don't see the point in jumping on it at full price, but maybe that's me. I'll also check Kmart around here.[/QUOTE]

I bit on this one because it's either not a reprint and the best chance of getting it is to order now, or it is a reprint and I'll have until the reprint ships to cancel my order and wait for the price to drop if I so choose. Since we don't know if it is a reprint yet or not I see a lot more upside to ordering now and not waiting.

DQV > DQIV >>>>>>> DQVI >DQIX.

One of my favorite games of all time, I've been feverishly waiting for a price-drop so I can pick up another copy for my collection (I bought a 12$ used copy at a local store that might be in the worst condition possible.)
Read this if you have any interest in the game or the series:
http://www.1up.com/reviews/dragon-quest-review

I don't think this is worth $40 to me, I will wait for the time when the inevitable price drops happen or used copies just start going cheap. More copies on the market means it will drop eventually. There was a time when used copies were hitting $25 on ebay, I really should have bought it then. I really don't care if I get a used one or not as long as it has the case, manual and its not a bootleg.

Pokemon is worth $35 to me, its probably the only game that is worth that much to me, especially when I can pay for it with Gamestop gift cards from e-rewards!

Temporarily out of stock doesn't always mean they'll secure stock again... I used it for a book once and after several weeks they cancelled my order with "unable to get from supplier" or something like that

Got it for $27 at Gamestop awhile back, never touched it though.

But like a few others said, the KMart in Springdale, Ark. had a couple sealed copies just two months ago.

Just bought this used off a CAG for $40.... Oh well, at least I helped a fellow CAG out. Not even sure if it is a reprint anyways, but we'll see soon enough.

I've been looking all over for this game. I have Dragon Quest IV and VI, so it's kinda been the missing piece to my collection.

I didn't have trouble finding this game at the stores, you guys missed out when these games were on clearance at TRU. If you can still find them there that is the best place to get them.

Amazon has done this in the past with various other games and strategy guides. They eventually ended up cancelling everyone's orders.

[quote name='Bezerker']Amazon has done this in the past with various other games and strategy guides. They eventually ended up cancelling everyone's orders.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, looking back on it now, when it is an actual reprint, it is in stock right away without much warning. I am recalling Tales of Vesperia, Tales of the Abyss and Xenosaga III all suddenly available.

[quote name='Kenshindono']so reprint or nay? if there is one im guessing it will drop below 40 bucks[/QUOTE]

Hard to say... like others have already mentioned, usually when there is a reprint, they just suddenly appear in stock. And SE has never reprinted any of their games before.

YMMV of course but I've noticed at least 3 different Gamestop stores taking this in as Dragon Quest IV (which is under $20) within the past few months.

I never understood why there appears to be an endless supply of DQIV DS at near giveaway prices, but DQV which sold out fairly quickly never saw a reprint.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Half tempted to order it to see what happens. If there is indeed a reprint then I can finally snag it for a reasonable price.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, when Dragon Quest IV was reprinted, it went from being very expensive (as Dragon Quest V is now), to the point that now you can find it for $19.99 or less pretty easily (actually, it's $19.49 right now on Amazon). If this is indeed a reprint, I'm going to be torn on whether to jump on it right away, or wait it out a bit to see if it drops too.

[quote name='Parathod']I never understood why there appears to be an endless supply of DQIV DS at near giveaway prices, but DQV which sold out fairly quickly never saw a reprint.[/QUOTE]

Because there was already a reprint of DQIV. Prior to that reprint, it got pretty expensive as well, but when they reprinted it, they seem to have done a massive number because it's been everywhere since that. I was dumb when it was out of print and expensive, and jumped when I found a used copy for $39.99 -- then the reprint happened literally weeks (not even a month) later. :bomb: After that experience, I was pretty sure a reprint of DQV was coming, so I've held out on it.

[quote name='arcane93']For what it's worth, when Dragon Quest IV was reprinted, it went from being very expensive (as Dragon Quest V is now), to the point that now you can find it for $19.99 or less pretty easily (actually, it's $19.49 right now on Amazon). If this is indeed a reprint, I'm going to be torn on whether to jump on it right away, or wait it out a bit to see if it drops too.[/QUOTE]

I never remember DQIV being worth much and I don't think it was reprinted. VGPC doesn't show any spikes or drops in price either, except for it's slow decline from launch.
http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/game/nintendo-ds/dragon-quest-iv-chapters-of-the-chosen

From what I gathered, Dragon Quest IV was printed in very large numbers because SE expected it to sell well. But it never did, which is why you can find to so cheaply, and that's also why they didn't bother printing that many copies of DQV. SE wasn't planning on releasing DQVI here either... so Nintendo published that one in NA.

[quote name='Vinny']I never remember DQIV being worth much and I don't think it was reprinted.[/QUOTE]

DQIV was never valueable at any point of it's release. Only when V was about to come out, it showed a small spike, which is to be expected with releases of sequels, but other than that, it never really had much value. I remember this because my IV never went up in value enough for me to want to flip it. :*(

DQV is easily my favorite one released on the DS. I hope it does get reprinted because more people should enjoy this amazing game.

[quote name='Vinny']I never remember DQIV being worth much and I don't think it was reprinted.[/QUOTE]

Look, all I can tell you is that when I decided that I wanted it (around this time last year), it was nowhere to be found. Amazon didn't have it, other than third party sellers who were asking ridiculous prices (whether they were actually getting those prices is a different question, of course). GameStop didn't have it on their website, and there were no new copies in any local stores; there were a few used copies around, but they were all missing the case and/or the manual, and I don't buy my games incomplete (and if I remember correctly, they were charging around $30 for those incomplete used copies). When I found a mint condition used copy in another local game store (just went back in my email for the receipt, I bought it on 5/1/10), I jumped on it because I was afraid it was going nowhere but up. Then a few weeks later (probably in prep for the DQIX launch), it was suddenly everywhere again, which I assumed meant a reprint.

I couldn't tell you exactly how long it was unavailable -- I know that it wasn't terribly long; I had put it off a few months earlier when it was available because I'd been spending too much money on games, and I was pissed when I then suddenly couldn't get it anywhere. For all I know, it may have been readily available in other areas during that time (living in a large city area, things tend to sell out faster here than they do in some other areas). That was just my experience with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Look, all I can tell you is that when I decided that I wanted it (around this time last year), it was nowhere to be found. Amazon didn't have it, other than third party sellers who were asking ridiculous prices (whether they were actually getting those prices is a different question, of course). GameStop didn't have it on their website, and there were no new copies in any local stores; there were a few used copies around, but they were all missing the case and/or the manual, and I don't buy my games incomplete (and if I remember correctly, they were charging around $30 for those incomplete used copies). When I found a mint condition used copy in another local game store (just went back in my email for the receipt, I bought it on 5/1/10), I jumped on it because I was afraid it was going nowhere but up. Then a few weeks later (probably in prep for the DQIX launch), it was suddenly everywhere again, which I assumed meant a reprint.

I couldn't tell you exactly how long it was unavailable -- I know that it wasn't terribly long; I had put it off a few months earlier when it was available because I'd been spending too much money on games, and I was pissed when I then suddenly couldn't get it anywhere. For all I know, it may have been readily available in other areas during that time (living in a large city area, things tend to sell out faster here than they do in some other areas). That was just my experience with it.[/QUOTE]

Around this time 2 years ago it was starting to get hard to find. That was when I got a new DS to replace my old one. I remember only 2 best buys having it, and one gamestop(gutted). I picked it up with my DS, and chrono trigger(which was $19.99).

bread's done
Back