Dragon Quest V Reprint? $39.99 on Amazon

Woo... showed up in my Gold Box, so 37.99$ taking a little more sting off. No K-Marts near me, so the gas to try to find it @ 29.99$+tax about evens this out. It is nice it went to ships in 2-4 weeks (like Lego Batman for Wii), so I'm going to hope I finally get to get a copy. Amazon might just be getting stock from another store (maybe even K-Mart) instead of a reprint. The DQ IV reprint and Disgaea reprint had them showing up EVERYWHERE quickly. There'll still be time to cancel if it shows up @ GS, TRU, etc. in the near term.

I was stupid not to snag it for under 30$ when it came out, but I also remember DQ IV going down to 19.99$ on sale @ Amazon just after release for one day and was playing the waiting game. Even DQ VI did the same as I almost paid 35$ for it but got it on sale for under 20$ from Amazon. Prime kills my wallet :).

[quote name='scottc1s']switch from temp. out of stock to ships within 2-4weeks! looks promiseing ^_^[/QUOTE]

Could well be. Surprised that it would be reprinted so long after it ran out...

[quote name='hwmusic']I bought a new copy on ebay for ~ 60-65$. Sorry but hope this doesn't happen :cold:[/QUOTE]lulz

[quote name='silkysmooth']It's gone from "temporarily out of stock" to "usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks"

Anyone know what this could mean?[/QUOTE]It means it's coooooooooooooming! :lol:

I was lucky enough to find this in the bargain bin at BB for $14.99 about a year ago. Have yet to play it though :(

I feel like an idiot. Bought this game for $10 in a clearance bin at Best Buy last year and then flipped it for $30. I'm a huge DQ fan, but I needed the money more at the time. The guy I sold it to on Amazon got it within the window of time for the shipping he paid, but gave me a 1 out of 5 star rating on Amazon because it was in the middle of the window, and not at the start. (He also gave me an address the post office didn't recognize, which caused me to have to spend an extra day going back home from post office and contacting him to find out exactly what his address was, not what he listed).

Now I see how much more valuable this game is, and I'm actually interested in buying it for personal use now. Losing.

I am not feeling so well either. Just bought 3 of these at Kmart, $29.99 each, and was hoping to resell and double that. Now I am scrambling to unload them before it becomes widely available again.

Anyone remember AIR FORCE DELTA STORM?? Man I bought and sold that for money many times over in the day. Gamestop had it for $20 and it could fetch $80-$100 easy. Then they went and reprinted it...I still have a couple (now worthless) copies...

Anyone know if the original may be a collectors item, or will it be worth the same value as the re-print? I may just keep the original sealed and buy a re-print?

Yeah I think now if I saw a copy out I'd just buy it and keep it for myself. I looked around at a couple Kmarts yesterday and nothing. A reprint of this would be good since I'm running dangerously low on DS RPGs to play.

[quote name='hwmusic']Anyone know if the original may be a collectors item, or will it be worth the same value as the re-print? I may just keep the original sealed and buy a re-print?[/QUOTE]

Reprints usually have no differences (or are negligible) so I'd have to say that it won't be a collector's item if this gets the reprint treatment.

[quote name='Rozz']Reprints usually have no differences (or are negligible) so I'd have to say that it won't be a collector's item if this gets the reprint treatment.[/QUOTE]

Unless they're those horrendous Konami reprints...

[quote name='silkysmooth']It's gone from "temporarily out of stock" to "usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks"

Anyone know what this could mean?[/QUOTE]

If it means anything like the other online retailers. It usually means they are not going to get it. That is what companies like bestbuy, target, deepdiscount ect... put in when they think in a off chance the distributor they use may get more copies. Usually this results from a error. Most times they won't get anymore in.

Look at the Tales of vesperia strategy guide fiasco amazon had not to long ago. It did the same excat thing. It panicked people reselling the guide into selling it cheaper than what they would normally get. In the end amazon cancelled all of the orders, cause they couldn't get another shipment.

[quote name='Parathod']I never understood why there appears to be an endless supply of DQIV DS at near giveaway prices, but DQV which sold out fairly quickly never saw a reprint.[/QUOTE]
It's because SE fucked up the localization by removing party chat from the game, despite leaving the option to select it. At any point in the game, if you selected it, it would always say there was no one to talk to. It effectively killed off a huge chunk of character dialogue among the group, which added to their personalities and stories.

When fans discovered this and asked SE if they'd ever fix it, they declined and said they had no intention of ever doing so. So they basically left in a useless feature that literally does nothing, which lowered the game's value among the players, as one of DQIV's redeeming qualities was the interactions amongst the party members.

DQV, however, did not lose anything when localized.

Ordering a copy just in case. I've looked around for while, but I've never seen a single copy. I'll be hoping for the best...

[quote name='Tsukento']It's because SE fucked up the localization by removing party chat from the game, despite leaving the option to select it. At any point in the game, if you selected it, it would always say there was no one to talk to. It effectively killed off a huge chunk of character dialogue among the group, which added to their personalities and stories.[/QUOTE]

While they did remove party chat, they also removed the menu option. The "Talk" menu option is for talking to the person right in front of you. Dragon Quest games since the first have always had that menu option, and later mapped the A button to "Talk," without the need for the menu. Up until DQ8's US version and DQ9 internationally, they always left that option there.

So, yes, they did remove it, but I wouldn't say they fucked it up. DQ4 is still an amazing game.

I just found a copy of this game, mint, for $25 at a local game store. I picked it up knowing it was a pain in the ass to find, period. I been wanting to play it for a long time now.

So now hearing this game is getting a long overdue reprint, good! I just don't give a shit about "resell" value, I'm all for everyone getting a copy of the game for a reasonable price.

I called my local GameStop to see if they knew anything about a reprint because I was going to put five bucks on one:

The manager was working and he said they were showing nothing in the system for a re-release of V. I told him about the discussions on CAG and the listing on Amazon.com. He said to keep an eye on it and possible call back in a few week to see if it was in or on the way.

Although I'm more of a Final Fantasy fan than a DQ fan, this game easily ranks among the top 3 of both franchises for me. If this game had come out after DQIX after the series has grown it's fan base, it's praise would have been more widespread. Easily worth $40.

Wow, I didn't realize games even got rare these days. I must've lucked out picking up a copy from one goHastings B2G1 deals.

[quote name='Tsukento']It's because SE fucked up the localization by removing party chat from the game...[/QUOTE]

Quite a hateful answer that I imagine has no bearing on why DQIV has more stock available than DQV...for one factor, some in this thread have already mentioned how DQIV already had a reprint. As for party chat, this was the first DQ on DS, and I think it's a completely fine concession to make for localization cost... I don't know how big party chat was in DQIV, but 8-4.jp said it felt like over 2/3rds of the text in DQVI was due to party chat, so obviously the additional cost there is significant!

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']If there is a reprint, GS will probably just get a bunch of copies and sell them used.[/QUOTE]

Now, that would be awesome:)

Man. A GS near me was selling a couple of copies of this game. I was planning on getting it, then some nutjob decided to burn the mall. Sadly, the GS store was near ground zero.

Second chance.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Just got an update on my order from Amazon saying they now have a ship date of May 11 - May 18.[/QUOTE]

I received the same notice tonight.

[quote name='Charles.Surge']I think it's a completely fine concession to make for localization cost... I don't know how big party chat was in DQIV, but 8-4.jp said it felt like over 2/3rds of the text in DQVI was due to party chat, so obviously the additional cost there is significant![/QUOTE]
Problem is that it was discovered that the Japanese version actually had a partial English translation within the game itself that wasn't normally accessible. Even had other languages, as it was likely an attempt to make the localized releases comes out quicker (though it took them nearly a year to do so). It wasn't complete, but it was a sign that they were working on it from the beginning, so there's no reason why it should have taken an entire year to release a trimmed version.

As for it being the first main DQ game on the DS, that means nothing considering SE had done full retranslations for Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger on the DS. The main problem is that SE never really bothered with putting too much effort into the series in the US, particularly when it came to the DS releases.

In regards to the length, it seems the party chat text was more than the regular game script.

[quote name='Vinny']Unless they're those horrendous Konami reprints...[/QUOTE]

hmm what do the konami reprints look like that make them so bad? Im not too familiar with them. I do hate the standard sony and xbox 'greatest hit/platinum hit' lines though

[quote name='M-PG71C']I just found a copy of this game, mint, for $25 at a local game store. I picked it up knowing it was a pain in the ass to find, period. I been wanting to play it for a long time now.

So now hearing this game is getting a long overdue reprint, good! I just don't give a shit about "resell" value, I'm all for everyone getting a copy of the game for a reasonable price.[/QUOTE]

amen!

as for me.. dunno i guess i'll just buy one and see what happens. I doubt it will ever really ship though

[quote name='Kenshindono']hmm what do the konami reprints look like that make them so bad? Im not too familiar with them. I do hate the standard sony and xbox 'greatest hit/platinum hit' lines though
[/QUOTE]

Blurry, but you get the idea.

castlevaniadawnofsorrownewboxart.jpg

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Blurry, but you get the idea.

castlevaniadawnofsorrownewboxart.jpg
[/QUOTE]

holy crap.. are you serious? Thats horrid.. even worse than platinum/GH

it looks like someone took a crappy polaroid of the original game then took a polaroid of THAT and put it on the thing as artwork.

Seriously? WTF were they thinking. I luckily got a copy of that particular game original version, but i dont have any of the other castlevanias actually. I better find them before i wind up only seeing those out there. Is there a list for Konami of which games they did/are doing horrible re-prints like this of?

If Dragon Quest V was released in the U.S. when it was originally developed, it would be as heavily hailed as Chrono Trigger--so yes, I'd say it's definitely worth the $40.

I have a brand new sealed copy I am willing to part with for $40 shipped. Hopefully there is a reprint for everyone ordering it again from Amazon, but if you want a copy shipped sooner, please PM me.

This is Amazon's stock info now:

In stock on April 27, 2011

I also got an e-mail saying I'd get it on the 2nd of May - have Prime, so it should be the 29th, but that's if they get it on the day they expect.

Lego Batman is in the process of shipping, too, if anybody jumped on that 9.99$ Wii price a week or so ago.

Dammit, I swore I wasn't buying any more DS RPGs until I work through some of the backlog that I already have, and now this is making me second guess that decision . . .

[quote name='Bretts31344']I have a brand new sealed copy I am willing to part with for $40 shipped. Hopefully there is a reprint for everyone ordering it again from Amazon, but if you want a copy shipped sooner, please PM me.[/QUOTE]
Doh! Should have sold that a week ago.

im just going to wait until the flood of used copies now hit the mazon market place or my local gamestop, no need to pay retail now

[quote name='johnmirra']im just going to wait until the flood of used copies now hit the mazon market place or my local gamestop, no need to pay retail now[/QUOTE]

this is exactly what I was thinking

[quote name='johnmirra']im just going to wait until the flood of used copies now hit the mazon market place or my local gamestop, no need to pay retail now[/QUOTE]

I would stay away from Gamestop for used DS games since they have already or will be throwing out all cases for used DS games and will only sell the carts.

[quote name='nintendofan9999']I bought a used copy at gamestop but it was cartridge only... You guys thInk I should rebuy this for the case and manual?[/QUOTE]

Yes. In fact, throw your cart only copy in the trash. The case and manual are where the value lies

bread's done
Back