Dragon Quest V Reprint? $39.99 on Amazon

[quote name='nintendofan9999']I bought a used copy at gamestop but it was cartridge only... You guys thInk I should rebuy this for the case and manual?[/QUOTE]

you could always try and sell it up ebay, I'm sure there are lots of poeple who have no idea this is getting a reprint (if thats the case). You could still get a decent amount from it being cart only.

I have one sealed that I spent ~60-65 on ebay. I wonder if I should try and sell it on eBay and try to recoup some money, and just wait for a used copy down the road? Or just hold on to it. Don't know what to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='silkysmooth']So is this a confirmed reprint or are they just getting their hands on some random cache of DQV games?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know too. Please someone let us know. Thanks

Picked up Dragon Quest IX today for $6.99 plus taxes at BB today. I may waits for Dragon Quest 5 drop down $20 and hope it a BIG re-print :)

[quote name='abhinav']I've heard about the rarity of this game but how is DQV? Is it good?[/QUOTE]

If you like Dragon Quest, sure is. If you're not sure, DQ4 and DQ9 are good places to start, I think.

I'm no expert on this by any means, but it is my opinion this is simply Amazon getting hold of some extra supply from some distributor, as this is not showing up to order on any of the other usual suspects (ie. Gamestop, Best Buy, TRU, Wal-mart, etc.) Once these run out, I think the prices will go back to where they were initially, if not then very close, so I wouldn't sell any extra copies cheap or try to unload them in a hurry! Otherwise you might find yourself "wanting" it again in the near future;)

[quote name='GreenSpark']I'm no expert on this by any means, but it is my opinion this is simply Amazon getting hold of some extra supply from some distributor, as this is not showing up to order on any of the other usual suspects (ie. Gamestop, Best Buy, TRU, Wal-mart, etc.) Once these run out, I think the prices will go back to where they were initially, if not then very close, so I wouldn't sell any extra copies cheap or try to unload them in a hurry! Otherwise you might find yourself "wanting" it again in the near future;)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, worth it to pay $40 for it now?

[quote name='hwmusic']Hmmm, worth it to pay $40 for it now?[/QUOTE]

Though I break the rule quite often, something is worth only what you can afford to pay for it at the time of purchasing. That being said, I think $40 is damn good for a new copy, but if u don't mind used, wait for the inevitable flood for some of these to be traded and snag a cheaper copy.

[quote name='mkelehan']If you like Dragon Quest, sure is. If you're not sure, DQ4 and DQ9 are good places to start, I think.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... was thinking about picking this up but after hearing that maybe not. DQIX rubbed me the wrong and I didn't like it so I stopped playing, but I loved DQVIII.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Hmm... was thinking about picking this up but after hearing that maybe not. DQIX rubbed me the wrong and I didn't like it so I stopped playing, but I loved DQVIII.[/QUOTE]

5 and 8 are my favorites in the series (I've played all but 7) I didn't like 9 nearly as much as I thought I would. 5 is stellar, definately worth buying.

[quote name='smacd101']5 and 8 are my favorites in the series (I've played all but 7) I didn't like 9 nearly as much as I thought I would. 5 is stellar, definately worth buying.[/QUOTE]

8 Was awesome. I'd love to see that remade for the NGP.

Latest update on my order from Amazon:

"Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride"
Previous estimated arrival date: May 11 2011 - May 18 2011
New estimated arrival date: April 29 2011

Also showing up as "In Stock".

sometimes these reprints make me crazy, when the prices are crazy high i know im not going to spend that kind of money on it and i can sort of forget about it. but when it gets reprinted and its right at that retail price level im always torn between buying it to make sure i get one and being a cheap ass and waiting it out for a price drop

I'm a little surprised it actually came back in stock. I wonder if it's a reprint or stock they found somewhere else. I'm tempted to buy it but spent too much this month already...

Hrm . . . on the one hand, Amazon has this in stock now and still no one else is listing it, which makes it look that much more like it's just some old copies that they found rather than a reprint.

. . . on the other hand, I just tried adding 999 copies (the max it will allow; if they have less available, it should revert to that smaller number) to my cart to see how many they had, and it did indeed let me add all 999 of them. And this after lots of people have already ordered it. So apparently they've got quite a lot of them.

Very confusing.

I keep hoping this will at least show up in my gold box, but no luck so far . . . I keep getting other DS RPGs in it, but not this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this sucks I had several to unload. Fortunately I sold the last two of this game I had today for $53 shipped: YES that is while it was $39.99 on amazon in stock/free shipping. Whew! Good luck to all looking to buy this.

[quote name='arcane93']Hrm . . . on the one hand, Amazon has this in stock now and still no one else is listing it, which makes it look that much more like it's just some old copies that they found rather than a reprint.[/QUOTE]

Amazon itself actually stocks very little. Most of what they sell is sold through what's called customer direct fulfillment or virtual fulfillment. Where wholesalers fulfill for Amazon, including the shipping/packaging/etc - it's all invisible to the end customer. Them having it and others not is usually either due to a relationship with X wholesaler, or them simply having smarter systems that update quicker. It usually has nothing to do with Amazon themselves "finding" stock.

[quote name='arcane93']Hrm . . . on the one hand, Amazon has this in stock now and still no one else is listing it, which makes it look that much more like it's just some old copies that they found rather than a reprint.

. . . on the other hand, I just tried adding 999 copies (the max it will allow; if they have less available, it should revert to that smaller number) to my cart to see how many they had, and it did indeed let me add all 999 of them. And this after lots of people have already ordered it. So apparently they've got quite a lot of them.

Very confusing.

I keep hoping this will at least show up in my gold box, but no luck so far . . . I keep getting other DS RPGs in it, but not this one.[/QUOTE]

Most stores don't stock reprints of niche games

Looks like this will be a lightning deal today at 2pm. Either a massive reprint or they want to get rid of the last stock they have.

[quote name='scottman']Looks like this will be a lightning deal today at 2pm. Either a massive reprint or they want to get rid of the last stock they have.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the heads up, wonder what the price will be. interesting. it just doesn't make any sense that re-print would only pop up on amazon?

I'm surprised there's a lighting deal for this already. My copy just shipped yesterday and I used my promo credit from Portal 2 on it. I don't think I'll be able to get the promo credit back if I return it. Bummer, I should had waited.

It has to be a reprint. If Amazon suddenly found "old stock", they'd know that it's worth a ton. It's not like they or the warehouse is hurting to move it out.

Anyway, glad I can finally get a copy instead of dealing with flippers who won't trade it for anything less then a body organ.

Which timezone would that 2pm be in? I suspect it's going to be something like 6am or 7am my time, but I'd almost be willing to get up super early for this...!

[quote name='Jedi_Amara']Which timezone would that 2pm be in? I suspect it's going to be something like 6am or 7am my time, but I'd almost be willing to get up super early for this...![/QUOTE]

It is 2:00 PM Pacific, so adjust accordingly.

[quote name='Jedi_Amara']Which timezone would that 2pm be in? I suspect it's going to be something like 6am or 7am my time, but I'd almost be willing to get up super early for this...![/QUOTE]

amazon is pacific time which is GMT +8

[quote name='pspgameboy926']I'm surprised there's a lighting deal for this already. My copy just shipped yesterday and I used my promo credit from Portal 2 on it. I don't think I'll be able to get the promo credit back if I return it. Bummer, I should had waited.[/QUOTE]

Same with me, should have waited

[quote name='snowmint']Going to start my DQ collection with this game. Are the other games cheap?[/QUOTE]

You missed DQIX being $6.99 at Best Buy on Sunday.

DQIV can be had generally for under $20.

DQVI I've seen on sale a few times but you may have to wait for it.

DQVIII on the PS2 I've seen hovering around $10 for a while now.

[quote name='silkysmooth']You missed DQIX being $6.99 at Best Buy on Sunday.

DQIV can be had generally for under $20.

DQVI I've seen on sale a few times but you may have to wait for it.

DQVIII on the PS2 I've seen hovering around $10 for a while now.[/QUOTE]

How was DQIX 7 dollars? Was it one of those "with a gift card" deals?

I highly recommend both V and VIII. If you really like those you'll love IV and you'll enjoy VI enough to play it.

I'm glad I didn't bite on this at $40. I'm guessing it'll be around $30. The question is - do I go ahead and grab it, or trust my instincts that it is a reprint and I'll be able to get it for cheap later? I already beat it and then sold my copy when it was fetching $60. Decisions, decisions...

[quote name='thefunkyredcaboose']How was DQIX 7 dollars? Was it one of those "with a gift card" deals?
[/QUOTE]

It was part of Best Buys Easter sale that lasted 1 day, and the stock of DQIX sold out in like 10 minutes. :cry:

Already a lightning deal? Man, I knew I should have waited. My copy already shipped as well. Would Amazon give me the difference if I contact them about it? Or do they not do that for lightning deals?

bread's done
Back