Dragon Quest VI - Out Now

photo1cu.jpg

Sooooooo, how's everyone's play through going?

I'm about 15 hours in, and starting to drop off a bit with the play time with classes picking up and what not before spring break rolls around.

I'm at the bonus dungeon. The bonus boss is a pain in the ass that requires grinding, so I got to him, got my ass kicked, then watched what happens when you win on Youtube. There's not much of a reward for beating him when you are required to grind for him.
A slightly different ending. OH YAY!
So I'm done for now, might go back and grind when I don't have any other games on my plate. Onto Radiant Historia.

I'm on the last boss, around lvl 40 for everybody. I have at least 2 fully developed Sages, Aslynn has hustle. Will I be ok for the last boss? I haven't fought him yet.

[quote name='2DMention']I'm on the last boss, around lvl 40 for everybody. I have at least 2 fully developed Sages, Aslynn has hustle. Will I be ok for the last boss? I haven't fought him yet.[/QUOTE]
Should be. I had a max level of 40 with a Hero, Gladiator, Paladin, and Sage, and after an unlucky first attempt I tackled him on a second go.

I enjoyed having everyone but the Sage recovering HP almost every turn - Hero class bonus, Sacred Armor, and Miracle Sword. Helped out just enough.

[quote name='2DMention']I'm on the last boss, around lvl 40 for everybody. I have at least 2 fully developed Sages, Aslynn has hustle. Will I be ok for the last boss? I haven't fought him yet.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you should be fine. The final dungeon isn't too long anyway if you do end up dying. Though I'd use the Sands of Time if you come close to biting it anyway.

So I'm about 5 hours into it at the moment. I dunno how to feel about it at the moment. I'll give it some more time though.

I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would be playing this game when there are still copies of Radiant Historia out there in the wild. Go play that. It's better.

Edit:
That is coming from someone who has completed both. Just thought it was worth mentioning as to make clear that I am only slightly, but not completely, a troll.

Beat the last boss on the first try last night.

Closing thoughts:

-Game seemed to drag the last 15 hours for me, but that's how every RPG is.
-Took me 37 hours to beat it, pretty decent length
-Grinding jobs really helps
-I still can't decide if I like this better than 7. I think I like 7 a little more.
-I like how it's very similar to 7

[quote name='KingBroly']Isn't Dragon Quest 7 like 150 hours long or something?[/QUOTE]

First playthrough maybe 100-150 hours. Once you know what you're doing, you can do it in 60-80 hours.

[quote name='KingBroly']Isn't Dragon Quest 7 like 150 hours long or something?[/QUOTE]

That all depends on how you play RPGs and whether you use a guide or not.

One big tip you should know is to always use the shoulder R and L buttons everywhere you go. Nothing sucks more than missing a shard and having to search all over the game trying to find it.

[quote name='Guilty']I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would be playing this game when there are still copies of Radiant Historia out there in the wild. Go play that. It's better.

Edit:
That is coming from someone who has completed both. Just thought it was worth mentioning as to make clear that I am only slightly, but not completely, a troll.[/QUOTE]

I haven't completed both games, just this one, though I'm several hours into Radiant Historia and I have to say it sucks so far compared to this game. And this is one of the weaker DQs.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Carver is just so damn hard to level up in the Jobs area, and he's only 1 level higher than the main character who's in his third.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the whole level cap thing is the most bullshit part of the game. It is too low for a lot of the game, so Carver, who seems to level up the fastest, lags behind.

Getting the Dreamscape tags is going to be hella hard, since DQ games don't sell that well, and the ad campaign for this one is very lackluster, thus lowering awareness for this game.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Getting the Dreamscape tags is going to be hella hard, since DQ games don't sell that well, and the ad campaign for this one is very lackluster, thus lowering awareness for this game.[/QUOTE]

Well it's a good thing then that the only items (2 recruitable monsters IIRC) you get from it are available in post game.

bread's done
Back