Dragon Quest VIII $10 @ CompUSA B&M

seththefallen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
If someone already posted this, then remove my thread or what not. I just got back from Compusa with Dragon Quest VIII on sale for $9.99, new, sealed, with the box and the FF demo. I'm starting to think this game must be awful at such low prices. I also got a PS2 stand for $1 on clearance. Worth checking Compusa out.

i would love to find this game for 10 new, but compuas isnt close to me, so i guess im out of luck! and its still 20 on their site!

[quote name='seththefallen']I'm starting to think this game must be awful at such low prices.[/QUOTE]
Blasphemy! DQVIII is the best rpg on PS2.

The game is actually really good. Just that DQ doesn't have the same magic over here in the states than with FF. Since you got it for 10 consider that an awesome deal.

I logged in 100+ hours into it (I like to be thorough in RPGs), but just a good game that got no love. Just like Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia... the game might as well have been published by Ubisoft.

[quote name='gorgonzola238']I'll swing by tomorrow when I pick up X3 on DVD. Sounds like a good deal.[/quote]
Shit! That comes out tomorrow?! I have to pick it up.
And I was waiting for DQVIII to hit $10, but since Compusa's can be YMMV, I think I'll pass.

[quote name='seththefallen'] I'm starting to think this game must be awful at such low prices.[/QUOTE]

Simply put, Dragon Quest VIII is the best RPG this generation. Nothing else even comes close.

[quote name='myjester2112']DQVIII was a lot of fun, don't know why it didn't seem to sell better.[/quote]
I hate to say this but:
Because it's not Final Fantasy, Halo, Grand theft Auto, or Madden.

I'd still say Shadow Hearts Covenant is the best RPG on PS2, but DQ8 is a close second. I picked the game back up after being on hiatus for a while and spent like 8 hours playing it today

I think it sold fairly well for something without a name. I don't have stats, but I suspect it did well enough to warrant future DQ game releases in the US

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I hate to say this but:
Because it's not Final Fantasy, Halo, Grand theft Auto, or Madden.[/QUOTE]

Eh, nowadays if people get a turn-based RPG where they are a bit isolated from the gameplay, they insist on good stories. And DQ VIII's was...eh, not so great. It's among my favorite RPGs, but I can't really choose one, as each of my couple favorites excel over the other in a different area.

But for balanced or at least fairly intuitive gameplay with a decent difficulty curve, DQVIII is tops. At least for classic turn based, as it doesn't try to change things up like your Valkyrie Profiles and Grandias. Another big plus is DQ VIII's characterization. Fairly creative and quirky characters. And I love the fact that you just have your established characters, and not some group of 10 to choose from, with the focus on growing them in the way that suits you.

In conclusion, if you can get into classic turn based and are into massive exploration and lots of quirky characters, then it's your game. If you're looking for a deep story, innovative gameplay, and non-mandatory level grinding, look elsewhere.

DQ VIII is a visual/audio masterpiece, similar to Kingdom Hearts; it really make you wonder why Square has not been able to put out a decent animated movie. On the gameplay front it is soild bit not (IMHO) as good as FF X, the lack of save points make the game somewhat frustrating (major back traking and leveling required) and there is not a lot of depth in the weapon and armor systems; the alchemy pot is interesting but not my cup of tea I guess (I did not like the weapon upgrade system in BGDA II). Great game overall but just below the classics like FF X or KH II.

I also have to chime in here. I picked up DQVIII about a week ago after hearing nothing but great things about it and with only about 26 hours logged I have already fallen in love with it. Fantastic all around game especially at it's standard 20 dollar price point.

i just didn't think the game was deep enough to really bother playing. character development is really uninteresting. wish they'd have used the job system from the previous games.

I adored it the whole way, and the cutesy characters made my girlfriend fall in love with it. She watched literally every moment of it other than the time i spent wandering around leveling up, and she snatched up the controller and wasted the last boss after watching my strategies for the whole game.

Just a great game, fab voice acting, and a total joy for all 80 hours it took me. Only other games that i've spent even half that much time with are FFX (100+ to finish the monster collecting) and Nocturne (50+ to finish the Amala Labyrinth). Worth the $25 i spent initially...probably more.

[quote name='seththefallen']If someone already posted this, then remove my thread or what not. I just got back from Compusa with Dragon Quest VIII on sale for $9.99, new, sealed, with the box and the FF demo. I'm starting to think this game must be awful at such low prices. I also got a PS2 stand for $1 on clearance. Worth checking Compusa out.[/QUOTE]

Others have beaten you about it already, but HELL NO! DQVIII is hands down my favorite PS2 game. End of story. You got it for a GREAT price!

[quote name='whoknows']It was an okay game...worth $10 I think. Way too much like an old school RPG for me though.[/QUOTE]

60+ hours of gameplay for $10? The money stops becoming a factor when you're moving to 60-100 hours of time. It's whether the game is worth your time or not that becomes the deciding factor. It quickly becomes either priceless or worthless when you're paying a couple dimes an hour. You're either having a great time for practically nothing, or quickly wishing you can have those hours you spent back. Luckily, after 5-10 hours, you get the gist of what it's like. You've met the characters, you know your target, and you're enjoying it or not. It never switches gears. You just keep going, and there's lots of it. What you see is what you get.

But at $10, it's worth taking the chance. Good chance if you have any affinity for turn based, and don't require RPGs to be a tangled web of intricacy, you'll enjoy it. If you want the tangled web, give Xenosaga a try. Holy crap was it insane by the end of 3. Or even Xenogears if you don't mind old school.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I hate to say this but:
Because it's not Final Fantasy, Halo, Grand theft Auto, or Madden.[/QUOTE]

Could possibly also be the lackluster battle system, poor story, shitty music, and derivative scripting.

If you like chibi anime, it might be a good fit for you. I had to put it down after a few hours because I kept feeling like the game was trying to talk down to me. I can only take so much of the gigantic sweatdrops and flailing arms before I get sick to my stomach.

I'm about 20 hours in and I absolutely adore this game. For whatever reason though, I can only play for about 1.5-2 hours before I have to get up and take a break but I'm thinking about the game for the whole break.

I know its been said, but this game is really a visual masterpiece...it also doesn't hurt that it has some of the best voice acting of any game on the PS2

I want this game really bad, and have been trying to score it cheap for months, but hell if I'm driving all the way to CompUSA to get it :lol:

There is a Compusa Thread on this board (2nd page I think) that has a link you can follow to view which COmpusa stores in your area have "Blowout" games.

But even if you can't find DQVIII for $10, you can eventually get it for $5.

[quote name='heybtbm']Simply put, Dragon Quest VIII is the best RPG this generation. Nothing else even comes close.[/quote]

It's definitely one of the best, but the best is BY FAR Final Fantasy XII this generation.

[quote name='seththefallen']I'm starting to think this game must be awful at such low prices.[/QUOTE]

I'm not an RPG fanboy, heck my favorite is still FFVII, but I was very impressed by DQVIII. You are falling victim to what has become the norm for a lot of good games. Games that rocked, but did not get the respect and were marked down include BG&E, Psychonauts, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and the list goes on. Never think because it is cheap that it is a bad title.

[quote name='roymustang']It's definitely one of the best, but the best is BY FAR Final Fantasy XII this generation.[/QUOTE]

How can you say ff12 is the best when it isn't even out yet? :rolleyes:

I got DQ8 for $10 at the CC sale, well worth it IMO. The only drag was level grinding in order to beat some of the bonus bosses. Lots of running around trying to get Metal King Slimes to show up so I could kill them.

[quote name='Kuros']How can you say ff12 is the best when it isn't even out yet? :rolleyes:

I got DQ8 for $10 at the CC sale, well worth it IMO. The only drag was level grinding in order to beat some of the bonus bosses. Lots of running around trying to get Metal King Slimes to show up so I could kill them.[/QUOTE]

Right, but you really only need to level gring for the optional stuff at the end. Someone earlier said a knock on the game was level grinding. Just to play the main quest you don't need to at all - in fact, I used the holy protection spell (to reduce random encounters) nearly the whole time and had no problem with levels until the Dragovian stuff (ie, the optional end stuff). Even then, I found levelling really didn't help much and I couldn't beat the one tough optional monster (which isn't, it turns out, the last one) until I changed strategy quite a bit. I wasted a lot of time hunting metal slimes too (though it is kind of worth it when you actually get a metal king).

DQVIII was my first DragonQuest game ever played and it became one of my most favorite RPGs. The visuals, voice acting and music all just sync together to create a very memorable experience. I logged over 100 hours on this one; my wife even played with me for several sections of the game.

The funny thing is that I really picked this up mainly for the FFXII demo and I assumed that I would enjoy DQVIII at least a little bit. I wound up being completely dissapointed with the FFXII demo (I'm still skeptical about the new battle system) and hooked by DQVIII.

At $30 this game is a steal; $10 is a complete no-brainer. Give it a try!

I got it for $13ish at Toy's R Us, which still seems like a great deal too. I've been really looking forward to playing it, but I seriously doubt I'll like it 1/4 as much as Final Fantasy X.

I *LOVE* the graphics in Dragon Quest 8 (haven't started it yet, but just from the demo). They look just like the artwork for the older games, which is amazing they could pull that off.

I'm leary about it though because it's from Level 5, and I hate, HATE, *HATE* Dark Cloud and it's inbred sequel. (And come to think of it, I hated Dragon Quest 7 too.)

Can't forget about the whole Super Saiyan Goku moment when you psyche up with the Hero. It was like a refreshing flashback to my youth.

The CompUSA in Raleigh was cleared out, mostly of PS2 games, although they had a crap ton of... well crap on clearance, like PS2 extension cables and other junk for a buck or so. So no DQVIII for me today, although I did get the FFX Strat Guide for $5

I highly recommend it at $10, even $20. I got it back at the $9.98 Circuit City sale. I'm about 50 hours into it - other releases like Okami and various DS games have prevented me from finishing it so far - but it's the perfect example of an RPG done right.

i hate their random battle system. i mean, c'mon, this is 2006. even ff 12 ditches random battle. other than that, its a fine game.

[quote name='tamno1']i hate their random battle system. i mean, c'mon, this is 2006. even ff 12 ditches random battle. other than that, its a fine game.[/QUOTE]

I think DQ will forever keep that part of the gameplay. They moved away from that with FF and made the system's defining quality the expensive presentation, and with DQ they'll always pursue the classical style gameplay. Since the two biggest RPG series now reside under one company umbrella, they can safely move them in those directions with little fear, and appeal on the broader spectrum.

And when they try some iffy innovation to style or gameplay, well, they can call it something completely different, or simply just call it an offshoot. Works out for them either way.

[quote name='Kuros']How can you say ff12 is the best when it isn't even out yet? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Just because you haven't played something doesn't mean others haven't :rolleyes:

[quote name='ykryptonite13']The game is actually really good. Just that DQ doesn't have the same magic over here in the states than with FF. Since you got it for 10 consider that an awesome deal.

I logged in 100+ hours into it (I like to be thorough in RPGs), but just a good game that got no love. Just like Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia... the game might as well have been published by Ubisoft.[/quote]

i would disagree on PoP, if PoP1 wasn't received well I doubt UBIsoft would churn out 2 sequels (and more coming) for it while Beyond Good and Evil had none

Actually, PoP1 sold like crap. It wasn't until the more "mature" PoP2 came out that PoP1 got attention from consumers --- many went back to buy the first to know the backstory.

UbiSoft really went forward with 2 strictly based on critical raves.

How do I know? Well, I worked in VG media and remember talking with a few Ubi Soft reps who wanted my perspective on PoP1's low holiday sales.

bread's done
Back