Dragon's Lair Trilogy (Wii) $14.99 at Target...

josekortez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
This is the triple pack that includes two Dragon's Lair games and the Space Ace game. It was previously $19.99, and it isn't part of this week's Target $14.99 game sale because the list price has been changed on the shelf tag.

As far as I can tell, it isn't a game that's easy to find B&M. Maybe not rare but I haven't seen it anywhere else. Anyway, now that it's $14.99, I'm going to return the sealed one I got for $20.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']IMO the PSN versions are the best because it is in 1080p and has trophy support...[/QUOTE]

I don't see the point in trophies for games like these, they're basically just movies. Plus its nice having an actual disc.

[quote name='Fabrizo']I don't see the point in trophies for games like these, they're basically just movies. Plus its nice having an actual disc.[/QUOTE]

It is a game after all, even if it is an interactive movie, so it is good it has trophies.

I agree it would be better to the games on disc, but I am sure that it doesn't sell very well that way. Which is probably why the release of this game was limited in the first place.

Are the PSN versions any different from the Blu-Ray versions? I've heard of some issues and "purist" complaints from the Blu-Ray disc versions.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']It is a game after all, even if it is an interactive movie, so it is good it has trophies.

I agree it would be better to the games on disc, but I am sure that it doesn't sell very well that way. Which is probably why the release of this game was limited in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you do realize these games have been released like over and over and over again, right? The DVD versions did quite well, so at this point, I consider $15 too much. You can pick up the DVD editions for a few dollars now.

Not a fan of these games. Fun to watch but as games? No.

[quote name='teknomedic']Are the PSN versions any different from the Blu-Ray versions? I've heard of some issues and "purist" complaints from the Blu-Ray disc versions.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the psn version. I own the blue ray and it was horrible controls etc. On the Wii the gameplay controls seem tight. Overall seems to be a polished version.

[quote name='teknomedic']Are the PSN versions any different from the Blu-Ray versions? I've heard of some issues and "purist" complaints from the Blu-Ray disc versions.[/QUOTE]

The Blu-Ray version uses BD-Java for its programing, it largely works but depending on your Blu-Ray player, you results can vary. I know for a little while Dragon's Lair on Blu-Ray did not work on the PS3 because of a firmware update.

Since the PSN version of Dragon's Lair was programmed specifically for the PS3, there can be tighter control over how the games plays.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Actually, you do realize these games have been released like over and over and over again, right? The DVD versions did quite well, so at this point, I consider $15 too much. You can pick up the DVD editions for a few dollars now.

Not a fan of these games. Fun to watch but as games? No.[/QUOTE]

These games are not very playable on the DVD format, most DVD players have annoying pauses during decision points. It was OK at the time it was first released 11 years ago, but is not acceptable now.

[quote name='gepet0']I haven't played the psn version. I own the blue ray and it was horrible controls etc. On the Wii the gameplay controls seem tight. Overall seems to be a polished version.[/QUOTE]

The same company (Digital Leisure) programmed both the Wii and PSN versions of these games, so both versions should be polished. The difference being that the PSN version is in HD...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']The same company (Digital Leisure) programmed both the Wii and PSN versions of these games, so both versions should be polished. The difference being that the PSN version is in HD...[/QUOTE]

The Wii version is HD -- 480p and widescreen. Obviously it's not 1080p, but still, $15 for three games is a good deal. The graphics look really nice IMO.

From this review of Wii version -- The Wii version comes on a single DVD5 disc and features 480p HD video during game play. The video itself comes from the new widescreen HD transfer done a couple of years ago when Digital Leisure spent over six months painstakingly cleaning up the original film.

The video is not quite on par with the blu-ray releases for obvious reasons: 480p vice 1080p - but believe me, unless you've seen the blus - you've never seen Dragon's Lair look this good. It could easily be considered the best looking game on the Wii.

http://www.monroeworld.com/forums/c...-Dragon-s-Lair-Trilogy-(Wii)-Standard-Edition

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']The Wii version is HD -- 480p and widescreen. Obviously it's not 1080p, but still, $15 for three games is a good deal. The graphics look really nice IMO.

From this review of Wii version -- The Wii version comes on a single DVD5 disc and features 480p HD video during game play. The video itself comes from the new widescreen HD transfer done a couple of years ago when Digital Leisure spent over six months painstakingly cleaning up the original film.

The video is not quite on par with the blu-ray releases for obvious reasons: 480p vice 1080p - but believe me, unless you've seen the blus - you've never seen Dragon's Lair look this good. It could easily be considered the best looking game on the Wii.

http://www.monroeworld.com/forums/c...-Dragon-s-Lair-Trilogy-(Wii)-Standard-Edition[/QUOTE]

480p is not HD, techically it is considered ED or Enhansed Definition. Only 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are true HD resolutions.

I don't know why that article calls 480p HD, but is clearly mistaken. Otherwise all Wii games would be considered HD, and that is definately not the case.

I do already own this trilogy, and it is certainly the best value. But IMO the PSN versions are the ultimate versions made so far...

I don't know why that article calls 480p HD, but is clearly mistaken. Otherwise all Wii games would be considered HD, and that is definately not the case.

Fair enough, though this is at least a 480p disc with 16:9 enhancement. Not all Wii games are.

I'm curious, when they say that the PSN version is "HD", does that mean that they really redid all of the graphics, or does it mean that they're being upscaled? If it's just being upscaled, that's fine (there's not necessarily anything wrong with a good upscale), but if that's all it is, then there might not really be that much of a difference between it and the Wii after all, since an HDTV would upscale the Wii's 480p signal anyway.

I haven't seen either version in person and I don't really care enough to do any research, just asking if anyone knows. I'm just suspicious because an actual HD remake would likely be fairly costly to do, which wouldn't be conducive to PSN pricing, I would think.

[quote name='arcane93']I'm curious, when they say that the PSN version is "HD", does that mean that they really redid all of the graphics, or does it mean that they're being upscaled? If it's just being upscaled, that's fine (there's not necessarily anything wrong with a good upscale), but if that's all it is, then there might not really be that much of a difference between it and the Wii after all, since an HDTV would upscale the Wii's 480p signal anyway.

I haven't seen either version in person and I don't really care enough to do any research, just asking if anyone knows. I'm just suspicious because an actual HD remake would likely be fairly costly to do, which wouldn't be conducive to PSN pricing, I would think.[/QUOTE]

obviously it's upscaled...

[quote name='gamecube ichiban']obviously it's upscaled...[/QUOTE]

Well then, as I said, this perceived difference between the Wii version and the PS3 version is pretty much meaningless if that's the case. Though I'd prefer to actually know rather than to just assume that anything is "obvious".

[quote name='arcane93']I'm curious, when they say that the PSN version is "HD", does that mean that they really redid all of the graphics, or does it mean that they're being upscaled? If it's just being upscaled, that's fine (there's not necessarily anything wrong with a good upscale), but if that's all it is, then there might not really be that much of a difference between it and the Wii after all, since an HDTV would upscale the Wii's 480p signal anyway.

I haven't seen either version in person and I don't really care enough to do any research, just asking if anyone knows. I'm just suspicious because an actual HD remake would likely be fairly costly to do, which wouldn't be conducive to PSN pricing, I would think.[/QUOTE]
I have both versions and the PSN version looks and plays better. The PSN version is actual 1080p sourced from the original film. They did a big remaster job a few years ago for the Blu-ray and HD-DVD transfers. Apparently the PSN version has 5.1 surround sound as well, but I can't seem to get it to work on mine (I gave up trying pretty early, though).

The Wii version still looks pretty good, though.

The PSN version is actual 1080p sourced from the original film. They did a big remaster job a few years ago for the Blu-ray and HD-DVD transfers.

I'm pretty sure the Wii version is sourced from that same remaster -- it's just 480p, not 1080p.

It's like the difference between a good looking 16:9 DVD and a Blu-Ray. The DVD isn't as good, obviously, but it looks terrific by itself and for anyone who doesn't have access to the PSN version, this is an easy recommend if you're a fan.

Thanks for the heads up, OP, but I'd much rather watch The Sword in the Stone while tripping on shrooms. :( Interactive cartoons just don't do it for me.

[quote name='Blade']Thanks for the heads up, OP, but I'd much rather watch The Sword in the Stone while tripping on shrooms. :( Interactive cartoons just don't do it for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was terrible at this game in the arcades when I was a kid, and it was a buck a throw back then. So I guess if I play it 15 times unsuccessfully, I'm really getting my money's worth...or not. At least there's less of a chance of bigger kids robbing me for my quarters nowadays.

How many of you guys remember this game? I never played it, I remember it being real expensive at the Arcade, I wonder if would remake it for the 3DS or even make it for 3DTV.

[quote name='EvlAsh']Anyone have a DPCI number for this?[/QUOTE]

Here is the ASIN B0042A1B84 that I took from Amazon, I'm sure you can use that.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, this game is on sale for tonight until 8am!?!?! as one of there midnight sales on BB.com for $15 and qualifies for b2g1 if you can pair it up with something else they have there.

[quote name='skiizim']How many of you guys remember this game?[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I remember Time Traveler. I played it once, thought it looked neat with the holograms, and did really badly at it.

[quote name='morrodox']Oh yeah, I remember Time Traveler. I played it once, thought it looked neat with the holograms, and did really badly at it.[/QUOTE]

time traveler was amazing...until i actually played it LOL. very cool concept but def not worth the price to play back in the day.

[quote name='TheCro']...There's a 3rd one? Or are they referring to Space Ace as part of the trilogy?[/QUOTE]

They're only referring to Space Ace as part of the trilogy for the sake of the game collection. To my knowledge, there was never a third Dragon's Lair game. More than likely, calling the collection Dragon's Lair 1&2 and Space Ace probably would have been too confusing for some consumers.

[quote name='skiizim']How many of you guys remember this game? I never played it, I remember it being real expensive at the Arcade, I wonder if would remake it for the 3DS or even make it for 3DTV.[/QUOTE]

There was a home version made of this game (on DVD), plus a PC version. It even had a 3D mode (with red and blue glasses).

Since Digital Leisure owns/owned the rights to this game maybe they will make a PSN version of it too..

[quote name='josekortez']They're only referring to Space Ace as part of the trilogy for the sake of the game collection. To my knowledge, there was never a third Dragon's Lair game. More than likely, calling the collection Dragon's Lair 1&2 and Space Ace probably would have been too confusing for some consumers.[/QUOTE]

There was an Dragon's Lair 3. Basically it was footage from Dragon's Lair 3D (A 3D Dragon's Lair game released for the Xbox and GameCube, which was basically a fully interactive reimagining of the first Dragon's Lair) converted to play like Dragon's Lair 1 & 2, where you only control Dirk at decision points. I believe the title was only released on DVD.

Here is a link to some screenshots of this product:

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/screenshots/screenshots_dl3.htm

bread's done
Back