Dream Pinball initial review *sigh*

DrMoze

CAGiversary!
So, my Dream Pinball preorder showed up yesterday. Haven't seen any reviews of it, so here is an initial one. (More to follow, as I only spent about half an hour with it and only checked out 2 of the 6 tables.)

The Good:
  • Six tables, multiple flippers
  • Physics appear decent (behaves like a pin table, not glitchy)
  • Decent flipper control for aiming
  • 4 selectable difficulty levels (# of balls, timing of bonus modes)
  • Good control options (wiimote/nunchuck w/triggers, or sideways wiimote)

The Bad:
  • BAD CAMERA OPTIONS! (see below - this is major)
  • Tables seem 'similar' and a tad generic
  • Too much 'voice' as opposed to sound effects (imo)
  • Automatic 'ball change' during play to balls made of wood/brass/etc. Not quite realistic and not apparently avoidable

Neutral:
  • Some graphic 'flame' animations when hitting certain targets/rollovers (not a fan)
  • 'Air' plunger is interesting (You hold the A button and pull the wiimote toward you to draw back the plunger, then release the A button to launch the ball)
  • Graphics for table features are pretty good (ramps, bumpers, etc.)
  • Playfields look OK, but design is a bit 'busy imo

COMMENTS

Overall, Dream Pinball feels not-so-comfortable to play. Perhaps I'm spoiled with recent playtime on the Williams Collection, which gives a pretty darn realistic pinball experience imo. The physics appear to be pretty consistent, at least.

My biggest gripe is with the camera, which ruins the experience. There are 7(!) camera options: 6 (not-so) 'smart' camera angles, and one fixed full-table angle.

The fixed camera is nice for lining shots, but overall not very useful. Why? Because the games all rely heavily on using flipper buttons for switching lit lanes located at various spots around the playfield to light them all up. You can barely see the lanes and the moving ball near the top of the playfield with the fixed camera. (This is on a 65" tv, btw.) There are also flippers located in the upper half of the playfields, and they are impossible to control accurately, again because you can barely see them and the ball in fixed camera mode.

The smart camera modes offer different angles and slightly different ball-tracking behavior. However, the #1 RULE for cameras in a pinball sim is that the camera sure as hell better get down to the flippers before the ball does! And it simply does not in Dream Pinball. Sure, you can guess a bit at the timing and ball direction to try to save a middle shot, but that is generally difficult and ruins the experience. Just as in real pins, you need to see the flippers as the ball approaches them to control or save the ball. Having a camera that lags behind is simply inexcusable. Unfortunately, the smart cameras are necessary to follow and control any action in the upper parts of the playfield (which generally have both additional flippers, ramp entrances, and switchable rollover lanes). The fixed camera doesn't cut it. So you're stuck with a camera that lags the ball and doesn't let you see what you need to far too often. In fact, I found that even with the ball in the lower part of the playfield, the camera would orient to just cut off the lower tips of the flippers. Bad.

The 2 tables I played (and the other ones, which I just looked over) seemed too 'similar' with similar rules (complete lit rollovers, shoot for combo shots, activate multiball). The differences are mostly in the graphics and audio, and the arrangement of the same basic pieces (flippers, ramps, bumpers) in various layouts. Again, maybe I'm spoiled by the Williams Collection (and prior experience on those real games), but these games don't seem to 'feel' any different from each other.

Overall, if you buy one pinball game for the Wii, I would strongly recommend the Williams Collection. And after playing that game, Dream Pinball will likely feel less polished and not as satisfying.

Note: I *really* wanted to like this game, as I am a fan of pinball machines and put a lot of emphasis on the pinball 'experience' that a sim offers. Dream Pinball just didn't deliver. :sad:

DrMoze - you nailed it. I also found the camera makes me sick from too much panning in this game. The William's collections doesn't do that at all. The smart cam in Williams is a simple zoom in and out that gives the player plenty of lead time to line up shots.

I'm not a big fan of the flippers in Dream Pinball 3D either. They feel very static and last generation. I didn't have a sense I could consistently hit shots like I can in Williams collection.

So I agree 100% - steer clear of this game. My copy has already been eBayed.

Thanks for the in-depth review. I almost got this after enjoying Williams so much. Now i will not get it and I can buy something else.

Muchisimo thanks for this review. I was also hesitant because there were no reviews or previews of this game. That usually means it's not critic worthy and they're waiting for suckers to buy it blind.

[quote name='bmulligan']Muchisimo thanks for this review. I was also hesitant because there were no reviews or previews of this game. That usually means it's not critic worthy and they're waiting for suckers to buy it blind.[/quote]

I guess that would be me. :dunce: :cry:

:lol:

I actually enjoyed this game. It is definetly not as good as Williams. I doubt any game will ever match the greatness that is Williams.

But some of the tables were really enjoyable and I did find a camera angle that I liked to use. I do have one complaint that I think the physics for this game are a little floaty and too fast. I also didnt like the flame animation either and it happens on all the tables. I also didnt really like the ball change.

I would never recommend this over Williams but if you like pinball sims it would be worth a rent.

bread's done
Back