Dreamcast Inquiries

mbright220

CAG Veteran
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Dreamcast and had a few questions I was wondering you guys coould answer.

First, does the Dreamcast play import games without any modification?

Second, does the game ChuChu Rocket allow for non-online play and if so, how indepth is it?

Thank you

1) No, the Dreamcast is not region-free. Best solution is a GameShark CDX or a DC-X boot disc.

2) Yes, there's an offline mode for ChuChu Rocket. The game is still fun even if you're just doing the puzzles. I haven't played the game for awhile, so I can't really say how in-depth it can get.

I more or less rediscovered my Dreamcast over break. It's a great machine. CCR has some great offline stuff. But, as Socheata said, you'll need to do a disc swap to get imports to play.

You don't need to modify the Dreamcast to play imports, you just need a boot disc. You can buy one very cheaply, or just burn one.

THe Utopia boot disc is what I use to boot all manners of disc. You can find images for it everywhere. Many places that sell boot discs appear to just sell pressed (or burned. I'm not sure) versions of the Utopia bootdisc, or some facsimile thereof.

I use a bootdisc for my import versions of Soul Calibur and Sonic 2 (Ironically enough. Soul Calibur from Japan was almost always cheaper than the US version).

Does anyone know if there are still servers out there active for Dreamcast ?
And any ideas where to get Puzzle Fighter for less than the current arm and leg that I see on ebay and other places ?

Yes, there are some servers out there. The trick is to find them though. I once saw a directory of them but I can no longer find it. I do no know about anyone else but I have problems just getting my DC to find my dial-up connection considering those damn broadband adpaters cost an arm and a leg. There was also a method of routing your broadband connection to the DC using your PC but I could not get it to work.

I'm sorry to hear that. Here are some games that are currently online:

Online with official servers:

4x4 Evo (both full and demo versions)
Maximum Pool requires using this game save: http://www.pauth.com/download/dc_max_saves/MAX2.VMI

Phantasy Star Online (European Version)
Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (European Version)
Sega Swirl (requires a fully operational POP mail account)
Starlancer

Games online with private servers:

Quake 3: Arena (Various privately hosted servers)
Phantasy Star Online (http://schtserv.funurl.com/)
Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (http://schtserv.funurl.com/)

Note: F355 Challenge was recently taken offline. Codebreaker is required to connect to the private server for all versions of Phantasy Star Online.

That really stinks about the online games for the Dreamcast, do you think that in the future that PS2, GameCube (Phantasy Star Online), or XBox games will be taken off online like the Dreamcast?

Sorry, in my previous post I forgot to mention that the BBA can be used to connect to the PSO private server if you do not have Codebreaker.

I don't think the games on other systems will be taken offline as long as enough people are still using it. I do know that Steel Batallion: Line of Contact for X-Box had an online campaign feature removed back in the fall.

[quote name='4tygames']That really stinks about the online games for the Dreamcast, do you think that in the future that PS2, GameCube (Phantasy Star Online), or XBox games will be taken off online like the Dreamcast?[/quote]
XBox 1 live games should last as long as XBox Live exists... there are some rare exceptions like Steel Batallion, but that was just a strange exception b/c I think Capcom ran those servers... or at least had to put in some kind of expense or maintenence for the online component to continue.

As for GameCube I don't know, didn't it only have like 1or 2 online games anyways?

bread's done
Back