Dreamcast recommendations?

DreadMech

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, when I went to my local old video game shop I saw they were selling a used Dreamcast for cheap. So at such a cheap price I snagged one up and a copy of Sonic Adventure. Back in 2000 I played Sonic Adventure, but that was basically it for me playing the Dreamcast. So what are your favorite Dreamcast picks that I should look into? :)

[quote name='DreadMech']Hey guys, when I went to my local old video game shop I saw they were selling a used Dreamcast for cheap. So at such a cheap price I snagged one up and a copy of Sonic Adventure. Back in 2000 I played Sonic Adventure, but that was basically it for me playing the Dreamcast. So what are your favorite Dreamcast picks that I should look into? :)[/QUOTE]

I always loved jet grind radio and crazy taxi myself. Shenmue if you have some time.

When I go and hang out with my buddy on Thursdays we have a line up of our favorites. Here is my favorites I play every Thursday. I need to get my self a RCA Cable so I can start borrowing his games when I visit. Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Power Stone 1 and 2, MDK2, Mr. Driller, Bust-a-Move 4, Gunbird 2, House of the Dead 2, Shenmue and Seaman (if you can find the microphone accesory at least)

A lot of the games I liked are either outdated or were / have been released on other systems:

Virtua Tennis
Soul Calibur
Ikaruga
Skies of Arcadia
Crazy Taxi
Space Channel 5
Power Stone
Samba de Amigo
Street Fighter

Oh yeah, Seaman is supposed to be pretty interesting and has a big fan following.

Sea Man - the screenshots of the game had always freaked me out.

Always wanted to try it out. Wonder if the game can be bought cheap?

I would definitely get Ikaruga and MvC 1.

Resident Evil Code Veronica Hands Down!
Crazy Taxi
Power Stone 2
Shenmue II
Capcom vs SNK
Toy Commander

...I need to find me some of those games cheap!

In no particular order (and similar to what the CAGs are posting):

Power Stone 2
Crazy Taxi
House of the Dead 2 (I'm sure you can get light guns for pretty cheap)
Jet Grind Radio
Skies of Arcadia
Phantasy Star Online (although the better part of being online is pointless now)

Seaman is definitely worth a try at least once, but I don't know if I could recommend a purpose. Then again, it's been about six years since I've "raised" one so maybe when I get back to the States I'll pop it in and teach a new one some curse words...

[quote name='kube00']Resident Evil Code Veronica Hands Down!
Crazy Taxi
Power Stone 2
Shenmue II
Capcom vs SNK
Toy Commander

...I need to find me some of those games cheap![/QUOTE]

I've got an extra copy of RE:CV just lyin' around if you want it (Game+manual, generic case.)

My understanding is Shemnue 2 never offically released for the DC in the US, you have to get a European import and a boot disc to play it.

I just picked a Dreamcast up on Friday for $20...quite enjoying Phantasy Star Online and Marvel vs. Capcom (1 & 2).

[quote name='rhewes']I just picked a Dreamcast up on Friday for $20...quite enjoying Phantasy Star Online and Marvel vs. Capcom (1 & 2).[/quote]

I loved PSO back in the day, but is it still any fun when you can't go online?

I actually played PSO quite a bit offline, and while not quite the same, it's entertaining.

Although, with all the talk of playing online, I may have to see about getting some games going when I get back home...the interest is out there, apparently.

Here's a list of games worth getting that came out in the US. I'll leave the imports up to others to bring up. :p

Bangai-O
Bomberman Online
Canon Spike
Capcom vs SNK
Caution! Seaman
ChuChu Rocket!
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Dead or Alive 2
EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Floigan Brothers
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Grandia II
Gunbird 2
Jet Set Radio
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
King of Fighters '99
Last Blade 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Mars Matrix
Marvel vs Capcom
Marvel vs Capcom 2
MDK2
NBA 2K1
NFL 2K1
NFL Blitz 2001
Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2
Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Project Justice
Quake III Arena
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Code: VERONICA
Samba de Amigo
Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Calibur
Space Channel 5
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Stupid Invaders
Tech Romancer
The House of the Dead 2
The Typing of the Dead
Toy Commander
Unreal Tournament
Virtua Tennis

If you're looking for dreamcast exclusives, I would recommend Jet Grind Radio, along with the first Soul Calibur.

[quote name='thetrust']If you're looking for dreamcast exclusives, I would recommend Jet Grind Radio, along with the first Soul Calibur.[/quote]
Not exactly exclusive anymore. It's on Xbox Live Arcade now.

[quote name='Tsukento']Not exactly exclusive anymore. It's on Xbox Live Arcade now.[/QUOTE]did they have all the Dreamcast console extras with that? Or was it pretty much a straight arcade port? If it's the former then I could see why someone might still want the DC version.

It is pretty true though, most of the DC "exclusives" have equivalent games on other consoles now. I think it is still the only console to have the first Shenmue though. And Bomberman Online has the very fun Hyper Bomber mode... not sure if that's been done in any bomberman games since then. What about Chu Chu Rocket... has that shown up anywhere else? That's a really good one.

It's definitely the Dreamcast version, since the arcade version looked surprisingly poor compared to the DC version.

As for CCR!, it was ported to the GBA as the very first game to be released by SEGA after they decided to go third party.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to check out Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio and RE: CV first :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple games that no one has really mentioned yet that I enjoy(and don't necessarily cost $50+ to buy):

18 Wheeler: Pro Trucker - Very fun but damn short, so I can't really suggest unless you find it for $5 or less

Xtreme Sports - Probably the most generic looking game name and cover art ever, but it's a really fun racing game. I bought mine on ebay for like $6 shipped

D2 - It's gone up in price a bit, but this is a really unique game. Some folks don't like it but I think it's pretty fun.

MvC2 is excellent as has been mentioned, Capcom Vs SNK was pretty good IMO.

Cannon Spike, Zombie Revenge(if you can get it cheap) and either of the Virtua Tennis games are also good. RE:CV has been mentioned as well and is well worth a look.

To add to the awesome list of fighters, my only addition is Plasma Sword (aka Star Gladiator 2). It's not the best fighter on DC but it's certainly fun.

Try to grab it for less than $16.

Many good ones have been mentioned here,

Crazy Taxi is a fun one.

Then there's the classic Soul Calibur.

Also I'd suggest Power Stone, and Samba de Amigo.

But yeah the DC has lot of great games, definetly look into what the others suggested.

[quote name='howlinmad']Vampire Savior[/quote]

This is a Saturn only game but still a good recommendation. You probably meant the import Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service which is a port of Vampire Savior 2.

I'd go with:

Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves
Last Blade 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (go with Double Impact if you already have 3rd Strike for the PS2 or Xbox)
Power Stone 1 & 2
Jet Grind Radio
Grandia II
Skies of Arcadia
Ready to Rumble Boxing

Guilty Gear X and Capcom vs SNK 2 are also great if you want to import.

[quote name='Tsukento']Here's a list of games worth getting that came out in the US. I'll leave the imports up to others to bring up. :p[/QUOTE]

I'm going to add a few more that I feel are worth owning:

Alien Front Online (Tank battles is small arenas... was great fun online, but is till pretty fun in campaign mode.)
Bleem (+ Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2, and Tekken 3. You probably own all of these games, so why not play them at their absolute best? Seriously, it puts the PS2/3's graphical polish on PS1 games to shame.)
D2 (Set in the Canadian wilderness, D2 is survival horror at its most... insane? It's by Kenji Eno, who is well known for his company WARP's ability to make really strange and unique games.)
Dynamite Cop! (The Dreamcast is an arcade machine, so why not play one of the most fun arcade ports for it? It's not the deepest of game, but it's a good example of stupid arcade fun from the late 90s.)
Grand Theft Auto 2 (Probably the best version of this classic game... but make sure to play it using a VGA connection.)
Illbleed (The most innovative survival horror game since Silent Hill, you take on the role of a girl who is attempting to survive a trap and horror filled amusement park for a chance to win big money.)
Maken X (The only Atlus game released for Dreamcast... if you like Atlus [Shin Megami Tensei games], this is for you... super weird and violent.)
Metropolis Street Racer (Consider this Project Gotham Racing 0, because it is.)
Outtrigger (Why play Q3A or UT on the Dreamcast when you can play a FPS specifically designed for the console... grab this before you grab the ports.)
Record of the Lodoss War (Anime + Diablo 2... one of the most addicting and long lasting games for the system.)
Red Dog (Vehicular combat with fantastic multiplayer.)
Re-volt (RC-Car racing... If you like Toy Commander, you'll probably like this, too.)
Silver (If you prefer more... "western" RPG fare.)
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (Based on the anime Berserk, it's really, really violent... splays kind of like the Dynasty Warriors games mixed with Devil May Cry.)
Tokyo Xtreme Racer (I like Need For Speed: Underground better, but this game allows you to race on actual Japanese highways... that's gotta be worth something, right?)
Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram (A lot of people will tell you that this game sucks, and it does if you don't have the right equipment. Get some twin-sticks, and it's amazing.)
Virtua Striker 2 (The only soccer game I have ever enjoyed. When you make a goal, the ball leaves behind a rainbow trail! Those crazy Japanese...)
Zombie Revenge (see: Dynamite Cop! + zombies.)

No love for Tech Romancer?

i also enjoyed Sega Bass fishing with the rod,

and some may not like it but i did was Evolution 1 and 2. dunno why i liked it..but i enjoyed them.

I second the Typing of the Dead recommendation.

It's a geeky kind of fun. Each time a zombie appears on the screen, there's a word or phrase on his chest. You have to type that with a few seconds to eliminate him.

Typing of the Dead seems like it would be incredibly fun (I played the demo on the PC), but it was impossible to find the game when it came out, at least around where I was at the time.

Sword of the Berserker was great as mentioned above.

Toy commander is a must especially for split screen multiplayer.

Games I played the most:
Armada (spaceship action rpg, played like subspace)
Zombie Revenge
Soul Calibur
Speed Devils
Rush 2049
MvC 2
Worms world party or armageddon
Sega bass fishing/marine fishing with fishing rod
GTA 2
San Francisco Runabout
Chu Chu Rocket
Bust a move 4
Spawn (got horrible reviews, but i enjoyed the senseless arcade violence)
Soul Reaver

Thats all I can think of now, i'll have to search my DC games when i get home

[quote name='zenintrude']I'm going to add a few more that I feel are worth owning:

Alien Front Online (Tank battles is small arenas... was great fun online, but is till pretty fun in campaign mode.)[/quote]
Opted not to list this one because, to be honest, it really doesn't stand on its own very well in offline. Online was where it was at.

Listed PSO though because one can still play it online, albeit through private servers.

Also didn't list Virtual-On because of the twin sticks being so damn expensive to get a hold of nowadays. Attempting to use the Dreamcast controller is a pain in the ass and one might be better off with the upcoming XBLA port, since the 360 controller has two sticks.

[quote name='integralsmatic']No love for Tech Romancer?

[/quote]

I love Tech Romancer. It's a weird, wild game. The tea party super move one character has is pure $$$$

Fighting Vipers 2 came out for the Dreamcast in Japan and Europe. Unfortunately the game aged poorly and not much of a sequel, more Fighting Vipers 1.5 with 2 new characters and cleaner graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just really browsed through the first comments and seen some dissing on this system...

To put it to you this way, if you want true to arcade perfection go with a dreamcast and it's 2D/3D fighting games since it is based off of the Naomi arcade system and they are pretty much DIRECT PORTS, as for the input lag in games like SF3 it's not the game itself its the damn controller. Get a aftermarket madcatz? or something issue solved!

bread's done
Back