Drive "Clunking" sound normal during gameplay?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
I just wanted to check if this was normal or not. When I play Super Mario Galaxy, my Wii (I think the drive) sometimes makes a sort of clunking sound, maybe sort of like it's detecting the disc or something...or maybe that's just what it sounds like when it's loading hard?

It only seems to happen when it's loading between stages. It might be totally normal, but I'm not sure...

mine does too, probably normal, that game i'm sure has maxed out the wii's power, reminds me of my dreamcast

Mine did it a lot during Metroid, and it does it less after I made sure that there was no dust on the disc. It still makes some sound, especially when it's loading a lot of data.

Mine does it on Crash of the Titans, scared the hell out of me the first time I played. I took the disc out and tried a couple of other games to make sure my Wii wasn't dying.

I first noticed mine in Metroid.

It seems to have gotten more "noisy" than when I first got it. Either I didn't notice it then, or it has always been the case. It's probably not a problem until you actually see some sort of disc reading error.

Well, that's reassuring that everyone's seems to do it. I listened specifically again last night, and it really is a "CLUNK" or click sound that's different from the normal load sounds you can hear (though it might also be a loading sound). Hopefully it doesn't mean the drive is cheap and the "clunk" is it resetting or something from a failed read. I *REALLY* hope that's not what it is :(
(Got to be a bit paranoid after the 360 fiasco...)

I suppose games like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid might be pushing the system in terms of how it loads, which might explain why it's more noticeable in them...unless it is just a junky drive, but I think the Gamecube used a well built Matsushitsu (SP?) drive that seemed to be the best of the three system's drives for reliability (though I did hear of some dying).

I don't get that clunk-ing noise while playing, but sometimes loading like with SMG can be a bit loud-ish (nothing like the 360 though). HOWEVER, heh, the 2nd game I ever popped into my Wii this week crashed the system: RE4.

I put the disk in, it spins making that loud clunk-clunk noise...does it for like 30 seconds, black screen. Finally a message comes up telling me the disk is dirty or something and I need to take it out and restart the system. Of course it's locked, so I have to pull the power out. Nice.

IS that normal?? Seems it has to do with disk insertion.

Last night I tried launching Super Mario Galaxy and it switched to a black screen for maybe 10 seconds, and then dumped an error message on the screen about ejecting the disc and powering down the system (I'm guessing it's the same or similar message you got meesterjojo).

The system wouldn't restart-I could eject the disc, and then had to hold down the power button for quite a while. It eventually splashed a weird...something on the screen for a split second and then shut off. I stuck the disc in a few seconds later, it accepted it and started back up.

Since then it's run okay, and I *HAVEN'T* heard those clunking sounds except just when the disc is first being accessed by the system-I assume it's somehow positioning it or whatever.

So...I wonder if there's something wrong with my Wii, or if this is a design flaw in general that's going to start showing up, or if this is just a random thing that can happen and will never get worse?

Happening with my new Wii as well - usually can get one game loaded correctly - but the next one I get the "clunking" disc error. Even with a brand new pristine Wii Play disc I got it. :( Have to remove disc & shut down - try again - and then it typically works. Kind of a hassle and I plan to give a call into Nintendo to get things fixed up.

I've had my Wii since November of last year, and I have never heard the clunking/clicking sound you guys are talking about. Or maybe I just haven't cared enough to notice.

[quote name='jojoschump2000']Happening with my new Wii as well - usually can get one game loaded correctly - but the next one I get the "clunking" disc error. Even with a brand new pristine Wii Play disc I got it. :( Have to remove disc & shut down - try again - and then it typically works. Kind of a hassle and I plan to give a call into Nintendo to get things fixed up.[/QUOTE]

I suppose I should too :(

That first play session after I ejected the disc worked fine, but every time since then it's clunked again at different points-though I've only actually gotten an error once.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']I've had my Wii since November of last year, and I have never heard the clunking/clicking sound you guys are talking about. Or maybe I just haven't cared enough to notice.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the newer models use a different drive or are built cheaper?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Last night I tried launching Super Mario Galaxy and it switched to a black screen for maybe 10 seconds, and then dumped an error message on the screen about ejecting the disc and powering down the system (I'm guessing it's the same or similar message you got meesterjojo).

The system wouldn't restart-I could eject the disc, and then had to hold down the power button for quite a while. It eventually splashed a weird...something on the screen for a split second and then shut off. I stuck the disc in a few seconds later, it accepted it and started back up.

Since then it's run okay, and I *HAVEN'T* heard those clunking sounds except just when the disc is first being accessed by the system-I assume it's somehow positioning it or whatever.

So...I wonder if there's something wrong with my Wii, or if this is a design flaw in general that's going to start showing up, or if this is just a random thing that can happen and will never get worse?[/QUOTE]

You are on your way to needing a repair. This is NOT normal, the disk drive will need to be replaced sooner or later. Make sure you send it in before your warranty expires. I did.

My Wii makes alot of clunking sounds too, especially nopticable when i play MOH2 with the sound off. I've never had a DRE or a loading error yet though. Is the clunking part suppost to be normal or bad?

Darn, well maybe I'll hold off for a while. I registered my Wii at least so I should have an extra 90 days. At least until I'm done playing it...

Sorry to dig up a old thread but i guess its better than just creating another one. The noise from my Wii is starting to worry me a bit, as its been louder now with ssbb out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=135vAIDNnIk

This is the exact sound my Wii is making(This is not my video). Now i know there are a few comments saying its ok, but granted it is youtube comments and i wanted to get some other feedback from fellow CAGs about this problem.

Edit:
Actually, there is a slight difference, as mine doesnt make those random high pitch beeps, but other than that, it sounds exactly the same. And yes currently i am able to load games, but if its a problem i would like to get it fixed before my warranty is dead.

Hey, no this is great to post it here! I'm still not sure if my Wii is okay or not either (haven't really used it much since I finished Galaxy).

I *think* that sounds pretty similar to what mine was doing. Most of that noise sounds like normal, busy seek noise, but then mine had this obvious "clunk" sort of that's like it's having to redetect the disc or something (might actually have been worse/different than that video, I'm not sure). I think I did get one disc error, or it ejected the disc, or something weird like that. I carefully reinserted it, and it seemed to work okay for that play session, and then clunked a bit after being started up later. I only noticed it between levels on SMG.

What games are giving that to you? I suppose I should have tried to tape my Wii while it did it.

I notice mine making the noise in the video when I start it up for the first time (that day). I think everything is cold and not really warmed up yet. Most of the time I'll turn on my Wii, let it load up, play some VC for a couple minutes and then everything works fine.

I live in NY so it's cold winters too and my apartment drops below 60 every night, probably closer to 50 at times.

Mine does it if the disc sits for too long between play sessions. Most notably on MP3 and galaxy, but I've had it happen on other games too. Ejecting and re-inserting has always solved the problem for me.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hey, no this is great to post it here! I'm still not sure if my Wii is okay or not either (haven't really used it much since I finished Galaxy).

I *think* that sounds pretty similar to what mine was doing. Most of that noise sounds like normal, busy seek noise, but then mine had this obvious "clunk" sort of that's like it's having to redetect the disc or something (might actually have been worse/different than that video, I'm not sure). I think I did get one disc error, or it ejected the disc, or something weird like that. I carefully reinserted it, and it seemed to work okay for that play session, and then clunked a bit after being started up later. I only noticed it between levels on SMG.

What games are giving that to you? I suppose I should have tried to tape my Wii while it did it.[/quote]

Every game gives me that sound, mostly when its loading. I play in a quiet room with no sound so i can hear it clearly.

Regarding the temperature, i dont think its the temperature because yesterday i was playing brawl for over 5 hours with a bunch of friends (so i didnt hear it as much over the chatter). Once everyone left and i fired it up again, it made the same sounds.

bread's done
Back