Driver: San Francisco - In stores now!

There are trolleys in the game. I know this because I watched that long preview that was posted on page 1 or 2. They are just blocked off from the demo/early areas of the game.

[quote name='slickkill77']There are trolleys in the game. I know this because I watched that long preview that was posted on page 1 or 2. They are just blocked off from the demo/early areas of the game.[/QUOTE]

Someone on the Ubisoft forum is quoting a dev on this but I can't find the original source:
Are there trollies in the game?

"Sadly, no. We did have them early in development (you can still see the tram lines) but took the decision to remove them and spend the memory on an additional type of car driving around the streets to give that touch more variety in the choice of vehicles you see and can shift into, which I think most players will prefer."
It's not a huge issue for me, but still bites. I guess we'll know for sure in the final game.

Also, I can confirm the demo's working on 360 now. Will share thoughts later.

[quote name='dotCody']Tag is kind of fun, even with Shit, but Trailblazer sucks ass.[/QUOTE]

Trailblazer is my favorite out of the 2, I like it a lot.

Tag is fun but it seems a bit flawed. You don't slow down if you're the one that's "it." Also, if you have a fast car and you're driving on the wrong side of the road, especially on a sidewalk, for some reason no one can tag that driver. It's almost impossible to do. You just got to hope the driver runs out of road or crashes so you, or another person can make the tag.

I like the qualifying events, nice change of pace.

Haven't played the demo yet, but it's on my to-do list. The great thing is, as a Ubisoft title, it'll be $4.99 in three weeks.

[quote name='Guest Number 2']Trailblazer is my favorite out of the 2, I like it a lot.

Tag is fun but it seems a bit flawed. You don't slow down if you're the one that's "it." Also, if you have a fast car and you're driving on the wrong side of the road, especially on a sidewalk, for some reason no one can tag that driver. It's almost impossible to do. You just got to hope the driver runs out of road or crashes so you, or another person can make the tag.

I like the qualifying events, nice change of pace.[/QUOTE]

Shift into oncoming traffic a couple blocks ahead of the person in the lead, grab a large truck and block traffic in their path or shift into a car going the same direction a block or so ahead and sideswipe. It's not impossible but takes some getting used to.

The Driver team's got some nice new screenshots on their Facebook page, most depicting an iconic movie chase scene: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150243115052644.311590.330415142643&type=1

This article's worth reading about the game's story and premise: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/ubisoft-reflections-driver-san-francisco’s-narrative-design

As for my thoughts on the MP demo, it's a lot of fun. I'm mostly excited to free roam around and have some realistic chases, but the Shift modes are an enjoyable and quick change of pace.

I'm hoping the grainy filter can be switched on or off, as in the MP demo particularly it obscures the graphics a bit too much IMO. The car selection in the MP demo is fresh, and awesome. This is still a day one purchase for me.

[quote name='slickkill77']http://nintendoeverything.com/72241/

Driver got an 8/10 from Edge[/QUOTE]

Awesome to hear!

Check out that neogaf thread it links to. I just don't understand why there's so much hate for this game. Is it leftover bitterness from Driv3r? No one's trying very hard to explain why they think SF sucks, or why it doesn't deserve a good review.

Maybe it just isn't their thing. I see nothing wrong with the driving physics and obviously I love the driver series so the fact that it wasn't completely crap is something to me. I had a feeling from the beginning that no matter how good this game is that it was bound to be a "I'll pick it up when it's $20" type of game. Obviously being a Ubisoft game it will drop quickly. I think Ubisoft should of started the game at $49.99 because I have a feeling this game won't sell well initially which is sad and could potentially mark the end of the driver series.

More reviews came in. These links are courtesy of the Driver Facebook page.

8.0 @ Gamespot: http://l.gamespot.com/qslhat
8.0 @ Eurogamer: http://$$$$$$$/p2W0hJ
9.3 @ Spong: http://$$$$$$$/qF9Uww
8.0 @ IGN: http://$$$$$$$/r8Kakz
8.5 @ CVG: http://$$$$$$$/npnR9F
8.0 @ Videogamer: http://$$$$$$$/nO8OgC
8.0 @ OXM UK: http://$$$$$$$/roywPS

Yeah, seeing all the reviews are coming in. It's very nice to know that it's getting some rather good scores. VideoGamer, GameSpot and EuroGamer all giving 8's thus far.

IGN has their review template up for it, but didn't have a score up the last time I checked it.

[quote name='slickkill77']The Uplay printing process got messed up so Ubisoft released the Uplay codes for free...

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15282[/QUOTE]

Pretty awesome of Ubisoft to address the issue by giving the access pass away for free to all! That combined with them loosening the DRM requirements in the PC version makes Ubisoft not so bad in my book.

As for the game, I picked up my pre-order from BB this morning and squeezed in a little bit of playing on my lunch break. So far it's great! More thoughts later.

I'm 16+ hours in and the game is outstanding. Highly recommended, especially for car buffs. Full review coming soon.

I'll put it on my wish list, but since I rarely finish racing games of any kind (I liked Blur, but never even came close to finishing it), and because I thought the demo was kind of weird (fun, but I wasn't quite convinced of the concept), I'll wait for it to hit $20... unless the accolades pile on....

I'm a big multiplayer guy, and I personally wasn't really digging the D:SF multiplayer demo. Definitely unique and different, but I couldn't get into it.

I figure I might grab this when it's on sale, the singleplayer seems like it could be very solid.

I rented the game last night and beat it earlier this morning. I'm loving how almost all of the vehicles in the game sound the same and how awesome the AI is. /sarcasm

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm 16+ hours in and the game is outstanding. Highly recommended, especially for car buffs. Full review coming soon.[/QUOTE]

It definitely was well done. The story is very cool, and the twist on the driving genre is pretty unique. The number of cars and the various details about each of them was a very nice touch.

I'm loving the game so far. I do wish the cops were a bit more aggressive in free roam or there was a throw back mode where you could go against the cop ai from Driver 1. Also they should have brought back modes like survival from Driver 1. Those were incredibly fun and made for some great film director moments.

The movie chase scenes are cool. I love how everything goes old school from the cops to the overall look.

Overall I love the game. I think Driver 3 had a little better variety because of bikes but its nothing to fret over. The lack of parking garages is disappointing as well. If there are any please let me know. Maybe you get to go in one for the Driver 1 throw back challenge. Has anyone tried that yet?

im really enjoying this game. the story is silly and voice acting is bad, but the events are tons of fun, the racing physics are good like Grid, and the shifting mechanic brings freshness to the genre. Definitely worth at least a rental.

Game is great.. Ive finished it though now. only need 1 more achievement and im gonna probably put it on ebay.

Great game.. would give it a 8.8

MP is addicting as fuck! Story was short, but its makes up for that in various challenges and dares.. i did them all. only thing i have left is to find the remaining movie tokens and ill have my 1K

Shift really did it for this game.. really set it apart from other games in the genre. glad some developers are still innovating things. Thank you for a solid game reflections.. Hopefully there is more DRIVER in the future.. atleast DLC for this one.

After playing some more single player, and checking out the online game types, i've decided that I need to buy this instead of renting it multiple days at redbox.

Hoping CAG comes through and posts a source for a price drop soon.

First off, is anyone down to get a free roam group going? I would LOVE to find some guys willing to do '70s style chases. I'm sick of high level randoms swapping in their Gallardos, Murcielagos, etc. and spoiling the atmosphere. My 360 name is "nah dew", shoot me a FR and say you're from CAG if you're in!

Now for my review... I've got to say, this game is awesome. The reviews are on point this time. Good variety, fresh innovation, fun gameplay, great graphics, excellent car list, solid inspiration, etc.

I do have a few big-ish gripes though, which I assume could be addressed in a patch without too much work.

• Public free roam option in multiplayer! I don't have many friends who play this game, so it would be nice to jump into an existing non-competitive room of drivers.
  • Classic free roam! This would be an awesome option--I mostly like driving '70s cars, but running from a group of brand-new Corvettes and SUV cops doesn't really gel with that style. If this classic environment is available in the movie challenges, why not code it in as a classic free roam mode as well?
  • Why can't I drive the Monaco police car? It chases me in the movie challenges, and the regular Monaco's in my garage, but dagnabbit I want to drive that thing myself. And what about the non-Tanner classic Challenger, driveable only in one of the movie challenges?
  • What's up with the limited group of cars on the road after beating the game? If there are 130 licensed cars, and the ability to shift into any one of them on the road, why is there only about 20 different vehicles on the road? And why doesn't that assortment ever change? If I have to pick between shifting into a Fiat, GMC Sierra, ramp truck, Solstice, or that stinkin' Lambo Jalpa again...
All that aside, the game is sweet and I'm enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.

Well I finally got around to playing with the film director. I pushed the Bullitt chase into overdrive for this one and pulled off a solid chunk of stunts in 30 seconds and cut it together decently using the camera tools. You'll have to scroll down a bit and click on the thumbnail under "Replays," unless I can figure out a way to upload this stuff to YouTube:

http://driver-club.us.ubi.com/xbox/player/nah+dew

The thing I have noticed is that different parts of the town have different cars in free roam. Also I think that when you get in a car such as the Shelby GT 500, the game will automatically spawn cars of that type. You can also buy cars in the garage and just spawn in those as well...

I've been using a few of the movie challenges to emulate a classic free-roam mode. Smokey & the Bandit, Dukes of Hazzard, Blues Brothers and a few others all allow you to free roam either the entire city, or a large area.

As long as you don't follow the checkpoints you should be able to run from the cops for a long time, lose them and drive around, etc. with no time limit. If you wreck your car up you can drive through a garage to repair. You can't shift, but the classic cars in this are what it's all about anyway ;)

Blues Bros director clips coming soon :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any reason not to buy this used? I know their on line codes got buggered up or whatever so does that mean a used copy will have the same content as a new one?

[quote name='Captain Wrong']Is there any reason not to buy this used? I know their on line codes got buggered up or whatever so does that mean a used copy will have the same content as a new one?[/QUOTE]

Yep, though the code that is in the game unlocks a couple of bonus cars, but that's about it. You'd just go to purchase the OnLive service for the game and when it comes up it should be 0 MS points.

Can anyone comment on how realistic of a depiction of the Bay Area is in this game? Is it as accurate as say, Test Drive Unlimited?

Oh and i saw this was on sale for $30 at Target right now.

[quote name='JStryke']Might pick this up soon. Was wondering how it was compared to the first two drivers[/QUOTE]

I didn't play the first 2 drivers, but I think this game is excellent and worth the money. Shift is really cool. If you are too far behind in a race, just shift and run another vehicle into the leader. Brilliant!!

I love this game. Best $8 I ever spent on a video game, I think. Really really fun. I don't think I'll get any off the online achievements but unlocking everything was great - and it took a while.

So I "finished" this up the other night. I got all 700 SP achievements which was fun but I think I'm done. Online is kind of dead and getting the other 300 achievements would be a huge chore (probably take as long as the SP game did and I easily put 20+ hours into that). Awesome game though and I highly recommend it if you can get it for under $15.

bread's done
Back