DS Diagnostic Cart

jonlubbe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Ok, short story first.

Bought the Mario Kart DS bundle in December, came with a Stuck white pixel on the top screen.

so I decide to get it repaired through nintendo.com
Sent it out Last Wednesday, (stripped, no stylus, no games, no straps, etc)

Got it back today, with a stylus in it.

Tried to turn it on, and got a strange flickering screen, no main menu or anything like that. A small amount of panic set in, and then I realized there was a game cart in the ds,

green label,
called itself Flicker-NTR with some japanese text on it.

Very interesting

http://www.jonlubbe.com/flicker.jpg for a terrible picture of it

My DS is set to boot to the main menu, but with this cart, it goes from the warning screen to a ... dithered black and white screen.. (pictures later)

no main menu.

Experimenting with it, if I hold up on the dpad, and one of the buttons, I can make the screen flicker.. good times.

What should I do with this cart, the google, it does nothing.

e-mail nintendo and tell them the disc holds top secret revolution information and the actual release date of twighlight princess and you'll only give it back if you recieve a free ds lite. hahaha.

i'd say just contact nintendo and see why the hell it was in your system.

They were tring to fix your DS and it seemed to work. There was a program you can Download for the PSP since it had Dead/Stuck pixels with it also. The flickering alternated color very fast to try and get the Stuck pixel unstuck. I'd keep it. Great Collecting item.

your lucky. That cart maybe worth something some day. I think the Diagnostic cart from the NES gets decent money these days.

They were tring to fix your DS and it seemed to work. There was a program you can Download for the PSP since it had Dead/Stuck pixels with it also. The flickering alternated color very fast to try and get the Stuck pixel unstuck. I'd keep it. Great Collecting item.

I guess this means that I need to become a crusader for justice, and unstick as many pixels as I can.

I can't read the Kanji, but the Katakana reads:

"Flicker-?"
CartNTR"

Basically the same as the English at the top. :)

Pretty cool though. PM me if you ever want to sell it or put it up on eBay. My friend has some stuck pixels on his DS, and I wouldn't mind having something like that around for my collection. :)

From what I can see, the cart says:

フリッカー調撃
カードNTR

Which, literally, means:

Flicker Pitch Beat
Card NTR

Wow I guess flickering dead pixels unstuck isnt just a consumer solution to the problem. Makes me less inclined to send my system in to Nintendo tho...I'd rather just buy at a store with a good return policy...

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Wow I guess flickering dead pixels unstuck isnt just a consumer solution to the problem. Makes me less inclined to send my system in to Nintendo tho...I'd rather just buy at a store with a good return policy...[/QUOTE]

I am sure they have other solutions also. On top of that they were for a time replacing systems and then sending you a box to send your old system back in. Therefore having no downtime.

That's awesome! Keep it man, that is a great item. And don't contact Nintendo about it, they'll most likely want it back, as that will uncover their secrets...

Some technical at Nintendo is going to be fired soon enough here. Looks like they used that cart an awful lot as it looks kind of beat up. I wonder if that's seriously what they do instead of actually replacing the DS, they just put that in and away they go.

[quote name='.JPG']I wonder if that's seriously what they do instead of actually replacing the DS, they just put that in and away they go.[/QUOTE]

that cart does not fix the dead pixels.

dead pixels are a result of the actual screen. the unit (or screen at least) has to be replaced. this flicker cart is probably just a quick way of lighting the screen up so a repair person can see if the unit has a dead pixel or not.

the cart isn't a magic cure for dead pixels. it's just a strobe light for the DS.

[quote name='DocRamon']that cart does not fix the dead pixels.

dead pixels are a result of the actual screen. the unit (or screen at least) has to be replaced. this flicker cart is probably just a quick way of lighting the screen up so a repair person can see if the unit has a dead pixel or not.

the cart isn't a magic cure for dead pixels. it's just a strobe light for the DS.[/QUOTE]

Ah I see, I was kind of confused about it, but if it was something that simple it wouldn't seem right that it would be that big of a deal.

sounds like this little stuck pixel fixer for the psp

http://www.psp-vault.com/Article168.psp

seems I've seen these for lcd monitors also

Another thing that has been known to fix stuck pixels on lcd monitors is gently rubbing or massaging the spot with the stuck pixel.

I could definately go for a little cart like this - my ds has 2 sometimes three stuck pixels - one red one likes to come up after I've been playing for 30 mins or so. I'll be sending my ds back when we get our third ds (a pink one for the gf) - that way no down time!

wow, bordjon... that PSP thing is cool...

never had any idea that flashing lights like that would actually fix anything. i was always told that dead pixels were just bad screens. perhaps i'm wrong then, and this cart DOES fix pixels...?

which makes me wonder, if dead pixels are such a problem, why doesn't nintendo just release these flicker carts to retail for a few bucks, just like they did with cartridge cleaning kits years ago, and make some cash off of it? at least make them available through the online store. these could be useful little puppies.

Now we will know what "Flicker ? - Preowned" will mean on the EB update.

What I really think? I think Nintendo is product testing a new type of game. The first one to win the game gets an email address to respond to, winning them literally tens of dollars. Get cracking, yo.

P.S. It says it's JimmieMac's birthday today. Do or don't do what Donny Don't doesn't do, depending on what side of the fence you're on.

I am going to keep it, if I ever decide to get rid of it, I will let you all know. but Its kinda cool to have a 1 of a kind thing like this.

[quote name='DT778']thats not one of a kind.[/QUOTE]

I think he means to the general public, since I don't think I know another person with such a cart.....maybe you do, but I sure as hell don't.

[quote name='DocRamon']that cart does not fix the dead pixels.

the cart isn't a magic cure for dead pixels. it's just a strobe light for the DS.[/QUOTE]

Not true. There is a huge difference between a stuck pixel and a dead pixel. Stuck pixels can be fixed easily by cycling colors for an extended period of time.

Wow. That's exactly the sort of collectable I would kill for. I want one!!

PS:
That photo is just blurry enough to where the "LI" in the word "FLICKER" kind of looks like a "U," if you know what I mean. ' ;)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Wow. That's exactly the sort of collectable I would kill for. I want one!!

PS:
That photo is just blurry enough to where the "LI" in the word "FLICKER" kind of looks like a "U," if you know what I mean. ' ;)[/QUOTE]

no i dont know...

bread's done
Back