DS Displays At Starbucks (another rumor)

Quigoni

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Another rumor I heard was that they're going to have display units at Starbucks. So now you can have that mocha and kick some ass. :)

Not that you couldn't before but maybe this will give more exposure to people in the mainstream. Who knows.

[quote name='Quigoni']Another rumor I heard was that they're going to have display units at Starbucks. So now you can have that mocha and kick some ass. :)

Not that you couldn't before but maybe this will give more exposure to people in the mainstream. Who knows.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about?

[quote name='Strell']Tell them selling the USB adapter online only IS A REALLY STUPID IDEA.

Emphasis on REALLY STUPID IDEA.[/QUOTE]

What? Why on earth would you say that?

[quote name='Strell']Tell them selling the USB adapter online only IS A REALLY STUPID IDEA.

Emphasis on REALLY STUPID IDEA.[/QUOTE]
Online only? Are you sure? I thought it was being bundled with MK?

I'd so much rather chill in a Starbucks than a McDs. Sweet victory. I'm not worried about the adapter. Here's to hoping it's available for preorder.

[quote name='Quigoni']It's going to be online for now because the adapters are in limited numbers.[/QUOTE]

Wt...limited? Doesn't Buffalo handle the manufacturing? Or is Nintendo actually shouldering that?

I'm sorry but I don't buy that. This sort of thing is exactly in line with previous Nintendo arguments of the past. I don't know what they are so scared of or worried about, but if you want people to support Wifi and they don't think their connection can handle it, you step in and give them the adapter as cheaply as possible and make it easy to obtain. If it's online only, guess who knows about it - the online community of Nintendo. And we might represent 2-3% of the entire demographic.

People are dumb enough that they will buy multiple copies of games like Nintendogs, EVEN without the intention to share, because they don't know they can get all the breeds in one cart. Furthermore they are gullible enough to buy the GBA in 3-4 different iterations (something I am very guilty of).

So just put the damn adapter out there, say "it's for wireless gaming, hooray!" and have Mario giving a peace sign. Instant sell.

Maybe I'm not privy to some information Nintendo knows, but this seems like a spectacularly bad move.

[quote name='Strell']Wt...limited? Doesn't Buffalo handle the manufacturing? Or is Nintendo actually shouldering that?

I'm sorry but I don't buy that. This sort of thing is exactly in line with previous Nintendo arguments of the past. I don't know what they are so scared of or worried about, but if you want people to support Wifi and they don't think their connection can handle it, you step in and give them the adapter as cheaply as possible and make it easy to obtain. If it's online only, guess who knows about it - the online community of Nintendo. And we might represent 2-3% of the entire demographic.

People are dumb enough that they will buy multiple copies of games like Nintendogs, EVEN without the intention to share, because they don't know they can get all the breeds in one cart. Furthermore they are gullible enough to buy the GBA in 3-4 different iterations (something I am very guilty of).

So just put the damn adapter out there, say "it's for wireless gaming, hooray!" and have Mario giving a peace sign. Instant sell.

Maybe I'm not privy to some information Nintendo knows, but this seems like a spectacularly bad move.[/QUOTE]

You may not buy it, but that's the reason I heard. They're also still testing it and trying to get it to work at this point (drivers I'd assume).

I'm not necessarily saying that I think this online only release pattern is the best idea, but I don't think it's a BAD idea. I can at least see where Nintendo might be coming from...

[quote name='Strell']I don't know what they are so scared of or worried about, but if you want people to support Wifi and they don't think their connection can handle it, you step in and give them the adapter as cheaply as possible and make it easy to obtain.[/QUOTE]

I think the adapter would be seen as a necessity in the eyes of casual gamers and computer illiterate people. And this gets away from the "free" part of their online gaming strategy. It's not really free if it requires extra hardware. Plus, adding this adapter adds a sense of additional computer skills that take away from the "easy" part of their online gaming strategy for those same users. Hiding this adapter from the general public gets across the simplicity of NWC even more.

[quote name='Strell']If it's online only, guess who knows about it - the online community of Nintendo. And we might represent 2-3% of the entire demographic.[/QUOTE]

Well, in the connection settings for NWC, it has an option to locate the USB plug, so anybody playing the game and trying to set it up for online play will know that something like that exists. If they're more curious about the device, they can ask a store employee or email Nintendo themselves and get pointed in the right direction. Also, you don't know what the manuals for MKDS or ACWW will say. Perhaps they'll mention that a special USB adapter is available online for those who need it.

[quote name='Strell']So just put the damn adapter out there, say "it's for wireless gaming, hooray!" and have Mario giving a peace sign. Instant sell.[/QUOTE]

Again, if you do that, then people who might not even need the adapter could wind up buying it thinking that it's a requirement for online gaming. Then they'll be upset about NWC not really being free as promised. Or, if they find out they didn't need the adapter in the first place because they're already working on a wireless network at home, they'll get pissed at Nintendo for putting this thing in stores and advertising it as "it's for wireless gaming, hooray!"

First off, the adapter is simplicity in and of itself. You plug it in, turn on the computer, a program runs, you turn on your DS, and you're online. I don't think it gets much simpler than that. All anyone needs prior is to have a DSL/cable connection. WEP and security are handled with ease. I've worked in tech support and I know how amazingly stupid people are, but Nintendo has removed as many hurdles short of them putting it into the usb drive themselves.

Secondly, "free" applies to service charges (Xbox Live). I realize what you are getting at - that an adapter looks like it eliminates the "free" mentality - but this is a situation where semantics get in the way and people suddenly start thinking "free" also means they'll get a lot more than is being offered. Nintendo can't be blamed for that.

Third, the problem with an online only release is as I've pointed out already - about 2-3% of us might know about it. Of that, I'm sure the majority have wireless networks in place already, meaning they won't buy it UNLESS they feel the need to support Nintendo (something I intend to do, for example). And the problem with that is that Nintendo is going to come back in six months and say "Oh well the adapter didn't sell well so we're dropping it, obviously less than 1% of DS users go online and don't want wifi," and retreat back into their shells where they refuse to adapt new technologies from fear that it is so "totally unprofitable, man."

(YES I KNOW THE REV IS NEW TECHNOLOGY, I am speaking in terms of CDs, online, etc. The same shit they've always pulled and only hurts them down the line.)

The same thing happened with the component cables for the Gamecube to the point where Nintendo took the damn ports off the Gamcube itself, a move that caused a huge backlash among the gaming community and still does to some extent. Granted it's not as huge as, say, 360's backwards compatability issues, but it is still enough to add to a growing list of concerns that Nintendo is harboring right now.

Here's the solution. You release Mario Kart. People go buy it. It is advertised as wifi capable. You put up a big sign that says ASK ME ABOUT WIRELESS at stores. Then you send out Nintendo reps to a wide range of stores who TELL CONSUMERS ABOUT WIFI, making SURE they understand that DS can work with all wireless networks now, and that the adapter is only needed if someone hasn't set theirs up yet. You do that for the first month or so of the big wifi push. THEN, you release the adapter in limited quantities to stores, and instruct those same stores of the same information the reps had. Additionally you make the adapter stocked in glass cases behind the counter instead of out in the open, so it minimizes the number of people picking it up because they think it is required.

You put this information all over the place - posters, commercials on tv/movies, billboards, signs, magazines, instruction manuals - EVERY CONCIEVABLE PLACE.

I realize that Nintendo can't monitor everything, but they have commercials, reps, and the ability to educate people as best they can. They can meet people 80% of the way through and hope that people understand the final twenty.

I understand the whole non-confusion thing, but I think there are ways around that, where you blitz the market with what could be your biggest and most profitable DS game yet, the one that's going to jumpstart your wireless online campaign and sell a LOT of units. I think the offset to that is you get your ass in gear and not cripple it at the beginning because you still want to sit back and see what happens. I hope they have 10K units on their site and get orders for 500K, showing them that they are vastly underrating the need for a USB adapter that takes all the guessing out of the picture.

But I guess their service hotline is going to get slammed. "I CAN'T CONNECT TO MY NETWORK TO PLAY MARIO KART!" and it's going to be because of security issues, beacuse of bridge setting problems, and a thousand and one other things that could all be easily remedied by a simple adapter that probably cost them $5 to manufacture.

[quote name='Quigoni']Or you just put it in the documentation that comes with the game that has the free 1-800 number for everyone to call. :)[/QUOTE]

Which you know will A) be lost or B) be ignored in the grand majority of the cases.

I don't know what you do at Nintendo but it's pretty obvious you aren't on phones fielding technical calls.

Let me put this into perspective as best I can. I worked for a laptop tech support. It had wireless access built-in. Everyday, of my 30-40 calls or so, at least 50-60% of them were "OMFG MY WIRELESS DOESN'T WORK" when it clearly said in the manual (and on the box....and in the .pdf user guide...and on the machine itself....) that you had to press the wireless on/off switch. Some models even clearly had it labeled as "wireless on/off."

People are stupid. Really fucking stupid. So you have to make every effort to make it as easy as possible. And now Nintendo needs to man up and realize they need a street team out around the clock telling people as much as possible as they can. That's the consequence of adding a new dimension to your shit.

I don't work at Nintendo but I know they're being trained to handle these types of calls.

And I'm saying they aren't going to do all of what you say because A. It would cost alot of money and they're not about spending tons of it if they dont' have to (or feel they don't have to B. They'll point to the 1-800 number as I did since it helps with point A.

[quote name='Quigoni']I don't work at Nintendo but I know they're being trained to handle these types of calls.

And I'm saying they aren't going to do all of what you say because A. It would cost alot of money and they're not about spending tons of it if they dont' have to [/QUOTE]

This is the problem I was getting at. This is the exact problem I was getting at.

If we assume that most people are clueless and they buy the adapter, only to go home and find their wireless system works (as proposed by the other poster, I apologize for not remembering your name), then they feel cheated. They need to be told up front before purchase. Don't ever rely on the printed materials you send. People are too lazy and stupid enough to think they know how to do everything already. They don't of course, but that doesn't stop them from being fucktards and bitching at people the first chance they get.

That's why tech support jobs suck. As I've said before, I weep for NIntendo's CSRs. Their call volume is about to double and get a lot angrier.

The point? You HAVE to spend money, ESPECIALLY with something this massive. If you've got the cash to make a weird 45 second commercial with a banana cart salesman, you've got a few million to spare towards rep blitzing too. And commercials. And prints. ETc etc etc.

Hell. You could probably get people to do it for free on their own if you offer prizes or something. If Adultswim can do it, Nintendo sure as hell can to. Make up another contest to see who can do the wackiest thing. Send out shirts if people do hours of campaigning. I don't know how to regulate it, but there are always ways around money, and always people willing to do it if they think the trinket they are going to get is rare and specialized.

Oh I weep for them too when I think about all the kids who are going to call up and whine that it's not working etc.

I understand that they need to spend money, I'm just saying they're probably not because they tend to be CAGers themselves.

yeah, i'm officially glad that nintendo decided to release the USB adapter online only... it's fun to watch people like Strell freak out about it...

"I've worked in tech support, therefore I'm an authority! Read my giant posts!"

Look, if you want to admit you haven't got anything else to argue left, you can do so in better ways. You don't have to confirm it in a post, but feel free.

[quote name='Amano']I'd so much rather chill in a Starbucks than a McDs. Sweet victory. I'm not worried about the adapter. Here's to hoping it's available for preorder.[/QUOTE]

Well I would rather play in a Starbucks as well, but Starbucks WiFi ain't free - at least not anywhere around me. McD's will be free (but I still won't go there to play).

[quote name='Strell']Look, if you want to admit you haven't got anything else to argue left, you can do so in better ways. You don't have to confirm it in a post, but feel free.[/QUOTE]

oh, i've got plenty of argument left because i think a lot of your points are ridiculous... but you seem to be one of those stubborn types who will just keep on thinking you're right and everyone else is wrong no matter what i say... so i'd rather not waste my time and energy on you since it's not going to go anywhere.

but really, i'd love for you to continue arguing with others... it's hilarious.

I guess it would be hilarious if I were arguing with the others, since the only other person to respond was Quigoni, and he seemed to agree with what I said.

If I was clueless and disagreed with someone, I guess I'd make smartass remarks and pretend I had a point too.

Kids, do you need an example of how to "cleverly" say you're out of ammo? There's some good examples in this thread.

No thanks, I think I'll wait until you bring up some of those so-called arguments. You know, the ones you don't have.

[quote name='Quigoni']It's going to be online for now because the adapters are in limited numbers.[/QUOTE]

BS they said they were doing it online for now and judging from the reponse they might ship it to retailers as well. Hmm now where have I heard that excuse before... ahh yes the GC component cable, a great accessory that never took off because no one outside of hardcore Nintendo fans knew it was even avaliable. This is a mistake on Nintendo's part, they're setting the device up to fail.

I'll be interested to see what happens with this. I;m pretty sure by the time Hunters comes out, or maybe even Animal Crossing this will be available retail. My guess is that they're waiting to see what the demand on it is before shipping a gazillion of them to stores who'll have to clearence them out at $3 in 2 years cause no one really wanted/needed them.

If the demand is there they'll ship them to stores. If not, why pay for that?

Just park out in front of McD's and play.
(of course I'm ordering an adapter though - I don't do wireless, WEP security is a joke... hell they all suck)

ok Strell...

i'm still not giving you your argument. i'm not being sucked into this. if you REALLY want to get into specifics, PM me and MAYBE we can talk. but, i do have a question for you, and for anyone else that's freaking out about the USB adapter only being sold online....

why do you care?

will you still be able to play games online? yes. even if that means purchasing the USB adapter online? yes. you know about it and where to get it. so what difference does it matter where it's sold? NOA could have easily not brought the thing stateside at all. quite frankly, if this prevents some of the less intelligent and less experienced gamers from interrupting my game, then so be it!

ultimately, nintendo has their reasons for every decision they make. agree with them or not, you can't change anything. bitching won't help. rather than ranting on a message board, just accept it and move on. if you want the thing available in stores, buy one, whether you need it or not. hell, buy a couple of them. show nintendo that there's a demand.

now, i tried to show you (what i thought were) logical POSSIBLE reasons why the adapter might be sold online only. you didn't like them and you fought back. that's cool, i guess. my amusement illustrated above comes from people like you (and others on other message boards... i don't mean to single you out) who act like nintendo is gonna go bankrupt over this one decision... like the online model will never work now, might as well quit before it starts. that's crazy. if you wanna play online, then play online. if that means ordering the USB adapter, order it then. stop worrying about nintendo's business decisions and how other people are going to get online. let nintendo worry about that, and just enjoy the games.

FYI, don't shoot me just because I'm the messenger. It's only what I heard. ~_~;

And for the record I'm a gal, not a guy. :p

[quote name='Quigoni']
And for the record I'm a gal, not a guy. :p[/QUOTE]

Lady, you are about to get a lot more attention at this website then.

[quote name='Strell']Lady, you are about to get a lot more attention at this website then.[/QUOTE]

What's so special about being female on this board? Just the announcement? I'm just curious, because I haven't seen any benefits.

I can see how it's silly that they're not making this as clear as it should be though. Nintendo isn't in a position to piss off the people that are still with them, IMO. Something tells me us gamestore employees are going to lose our voices trying to explain this multiple times in a day (at least I will with my store's traffic).

[quote name='Amano']What's so special about being female on this board? Just the announcement? I'm just curious, because I haven't seen any benefits.
[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, Amano, come now. That was mostly a joke. :p

bread's done
Back