DS Download Station Update? (UPDATED 3/22/07)

myxyplik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
They're usually updated by this time, but it's been quiet. Just wondered if anyone knows something.

UPDATE 3/22/07: Stopped at EB today, which had the new version. Among other things, there were playable demos of Hotel Dusk (tried this one; very brief, but interesting), Lost In Blue 2, the Disney version of Meteos, Diddy Kong Racing, and Elite Beat Agents for the three of you that still haven't tried it.;)

It says on the official site that V4 will be coming soon, I believe it mentioned having Tomb Raider and a couple other games.

nice, i've been wondering about that. ever since the ps3 and wii forced everyone to remodel their game sections, the ds download stations have been de-emphasized or removed. I'm glad to see they'll still be updated.

Now if only they'd work out a DS demo download channel for the wii...

[quote name='catapult37']
Now if only they'd work out a DS demo download channel for the wii...[/QUOTE]

I'm dying for this, the DS download stations around here never seem to be on when I actually lug my DS to the store. :(

There will be a demo for the DS version of Spider-Man 3. It looks good graphically and for a DS game but I hear you use the touch screen for combat. I hope that touch screen combat controls are optional and that you can use face buttons too. Guess we'll find out once the new volume hits stores.

i dont have a ds yet but am planning to get one soon. how do these DLs work. is it there until you restart? or can you actually save them?

Nah, they stay on until you shut off the system unless otherwise stated (some third pary demos when you complete them or exit somethin they just shut off). You can even close the DS and leave it on sleep mode and open it back up and resume gameplay.

Heh, that Tomb Raider Legend demo was horrible. I ended up shutting my DS off like a minute or two after I downloaded it. I then proceeded to play Castlevania: DOS.

[quote name='AndrewCP']There will be a demo for the DS version of Spider-Man 3. It looks good graphically and for a DS game but I hear you use the touch screen for combat. I hope that touch screen combat controls are optional and that you can use face buttons too. Guess we'll find out once the new volume hits stores.[/QUOTE]

There's a good article on IGN about how the devs will put almost the entire city in the game using streaming techniques. I may almost buy it just to see it in action!

I been wondering why they haven't updated the DS download stations. Cooking mama was the last game I played that was good on it. I would prefer any of the new final fantasy games as a demo.

Yeah Spidey 3 for DS looks and sounds like it may be good, it's just the touch screen controls that worry me. I guess it could be fun, we'll see.

Well, as to why the DS Download Stations aren't updated, they will be soon but it will take a while. As I said before, Spider-Man 3 will be in the next volume and the movie and game comes out on May 4th, so expect it sometime before to around that day. I don't think they're gonna change it now and then change it again a month later, just don't see that happening.

If you don't want to bring your DS to the store, you can use a demo unit DS Lite at the store. Some guy showed me how to do it at Best Buy last summer.

Turn the DS off, turn it back on, but while it turns on hold down L, R, Start and Select. This will make it go to the main menu instead of straight to the game. Then go to Download Play, and you're in!

[quote name='briansraregames']So, is Volume 5 out yet? I have Vols 1-4 already...might be time to cash in some favors and get v5![/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly are you talking about? Volumes 1-4... of what?

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly are you talking about? Volumes 1-4... of what?[/quote]
Nintendo releases these download station carts periodically to major retailers with downloadable game demos. They are put into DS systems at the stores and the gimmick is to make you come in with your DS and download the demos. Each demo cart has about 5 game demos on it and 2 or 3 promo movies. These carts make your ds act as a server of sorts, you canot play any games directly off the carts, you must DL them to a second DS. They're not for resale, but I have some pull with the local game stores and have been able to get a hold of a few carts. They look like this:

689a_1.JPG

So far there are 4 volumes, and the op mentioned that volume 5 may be out to stores now.

These are the demos on the three that I have:

• Volume 2: w/ playable downloadable demos of Big Brain Academy, Metroid Prime Hunters, Magnetica, Tetris DS, and Brain Age. Also includes downloadable movies of X Men 3 and Over the Hedge
  • Volume 3: w/ playable downloadable demos of Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2, Elite Beat Agents, Clubhouse Games, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy and Danny Phantom. Also includes downloadable movies of Star Fox Command, Spectrobes, and Star Trek Tactical Assault.
  • Volume 4: w/ playable downloadable demos of Elite Beat Agents, Cooking Mama, Tomb Raider Legend, Eragon, Charlottes Web, Brain Age, and Big Brain Academy. Also Includes downloadable movies of Castlevania Portrait of Ruin and WinX Club.

I had no idea it was actually a DS serving up those games.

Why the heck doesn't Nintendo let you download this stuff directly over the net? (And/or the Wii as someone mentioned). I felt pretty stupid just hanging out at a Toy's R Us this summer waiting 5 minutes while some puzzle game downloaded :D

The gamestop at the mall doesn't have a download station anymore i'm not sure about the other GS and EB, but the mall one used to in the DS section i'm wondering are some taking them away or something like that?

There's download stations at the toysRus and target so I still have places to check things out i'm just curious anyways thanks for the info on the update i'll probably check it out for meteos disney, and EBA.

[quote name='redsox6391']If you don't want to bring your DS to the store, you can use a demo unit DS Lite at the store. Some guy showed me how to do it at Best Buy last summer.

Turn the DS off, turn it back on, but while it turns on hold down L, R, Start and Select. This will make it go to the main menu instead of straight to the game. Then go to Download Play, and you're in![/quote]

Good info! I'm going to give that a try next time.

bread's done
Back