DS headset?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
What's the little headset jack on the DS for? Can you actually use head sets to talk between games that support voice chat (ie, Metroid Prime Hunters since it's the only one)?

I assume it can be used. I don't have a headset, but why would it be there if it doesn't work? I guess it just isn't use very much. And it should be able to work with games that have voice recognition too, like Brain Age, and also games that at least use the mic, like Mario Kart. Not just voice chat.

On a kind of side note, apparently it was intended to be used for making the DS act as a phone handset to make free phone calls before its release. But I don't think that has ever happened, has it?http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/31/news_6106106.html

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Well, there is a little image of a headset + microphone next to the headphone port.[/QUOTE]

This got me thinking that perhaps nintendo wasn't planning on releasing a headset peripheral, and were dropping it from the Lite (like that Sony jack that no one used on the original PS2 model)... quick look at the closeups on Lik-Sang shows the same port next to the headphone jack on the DS Lite.

So the question is when are they going to get around to this? I thought there was a Nyko one but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

EDIT: but I did find this in my travels... ridiculous! Naruto frog DS case

There must be some use for this plug if it's in the DSL... I never even thought about that. Maybe they've planned to use to for voice chat and decided to make all systems with the jack so that people can use headsets rather than speakers when talking?:whistle2:k

[quote name='Vinny']There must be some use for this plug if it's in the DSL... I never even thought about that. Maybe they've planned to use to for voice chat and decided to make all systems with the jack so that people can use headsets rather than speakers when talking?:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I've wondered about the damn slot since I picked up my DS a long while back... For hunters it makes perfect sense... I really don't know why Nintendo or a 3rd party company has stepped in to make this thing...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've wondered about the damn slot since I picked up my DS a long while back... For hunters it makes perfect sense... I really don't know why Nintendo or a 3rd party company has stepped in to make this thing...[/quote]

They need to make voice chat enabled in game to make it really useful, other wise you can just hold X and bring the mic closer to your mouth and it owrks out fine. Quality is pretty good at any rate. I think I saw a link somewhere to a 3rd party headset, I'll have to go find it.

[quote name='hone']They need to make voice chat enabled in game to make it really useful, other wise you can just hold X and bring the mic closer to your mouth and it owrks out fine. Quality is pretty good at any rate. I think I saw a link somewhere to a 3rd party headset, I'll have to go find it.[/QUOTE]

I can see this happening with any strategy based game since the action is alot less hectic and chat makes a nice plus.

bread's done
Back