DS in the Sun: Glare Solutions?

danchilders

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I have been playing my DS out on the lake a lot recently, but have not come up with a decent solution for the sun glare. I have tried some "glare proof" sunglasses with no luck and was thinking about one of those screen protectors that advertise "glare proofing." However, I am very skeptical that they would work any better. So has anyone had this problem and come up with a good solution? The glare is so bad I can't even see the screen most of the time, and that is when playing very bright colorful games like Mario 64. Darker games are impossible. Since this is a portable system, I would really love to take advantage of being able to enjoy it OUTSIDE. Any suggestions?

Dan

Outside...

Anyway, the answer is no, unless you put one of those antiglare filters on the screen.

The only god system for outside play is the GBA, because it's LCD is not back lit (it's front lit).

Antiglare filters... any idea where I can find them? Has anyone personally tried them? When I look at vendor's sites (even import ones) all I come up with is screen protectors that have "anti-glare" as one of there little blurb featuers, but not as a primary function. Price is not really an issue, as long as it is under say $50, and, if it worked well, I would even consider paying more. It does me no good to have a DS with some great games that I can't really see.

Dan

I've been having the same problem. anti-glare screen protectors should fix it right? if so my local radio shack might carry them.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Outside...

Anyway, the answer is no, unless you put one of those antiglare filters on the screen.

The only god system for outside play is the GBA, because it's LCD is not back lit (it's front lit).[/QUOTE]

The GBA SP is front lit, and it has a glare anyways.

The GBA is the only true system that works outside because its no lit.

If it depended on the front/back/non light issue, then the DS would be fine if you turned off the backlight, however, I have found this not to be the case. Today, I also tried my old GBA and had the same problem. Seems to be more of a screen issue than a lighting issue. Which filters have people had the best luck with?

Thanks for the link, Tall Guy, that one is definately under consideration.

Dan

[quote name='David85']The GBA SP is front lit, and it has a glare anyways.

The GBA is the only true system that works outside because its no lit.[/QUOTE]

They are exactly the same screen, and you can't even tell if the SP lightguide is on when you are outside in the sun (and you can turn it off).

I can't imagine someone going outside, but if they did a GBA or SP would be the best option.

Have fun getting skin cancer, stupid outside people.

[quote name='Quackzilla']They are exactly the same screen, and you can't even tell if the SP lightguide is on when you are outside in the sun (and you can turn it off).

I can't imagine someone going outside, but if they did a GBA or SP would be the best option.

Have fun getting skin cancer, stupid outside people.[/QUOTE]

Actually new reports such as those featured on NPR last week are suggesting that more sun exposure may prevent more kinds of cancer than it potentially creates. As stated in the report, for every 1 person that dies of skin cancer 30 die from cancers that may be a result of vitamin D defficiency, and 20 minutes of sun exposure provides as much vitamin D as 50 QUARTS of milk (20,000 IU for sun, 400 for 1 quart of milk). Sunlight is your friend . . . but apparently not the DS's.

http://www.imakenews.com/vitalchoiceseafood/e_article000412181.cfm?x=b53jlSr,b1WDbhNQ,w

[quote name='evilmax17']You can turn off the DS's backlight in the options, if that helps.[/QUOTE]

I was about to say that , however the light has nothing to do with the glare you get from the sun on the screen, the reflective shine of the screen does , try a screen protector who claims to solve this problem , i won't be silly and tell you to take out the glass like inner screen protector !

I am a software engineer who has to deal with this problem all the time. There is no real one quick fix for this problem. It is just the way the current hardware is. It will happen with your cell phone, PDA and game systems. Usually I tend to use a backlite and sun glasses at the same time. But that drains the battery rather quickly.

I am a framer and know that the problem is the screen itself. Its a clear plastic so any light is reflected as it is. A glare control screen is basically a slightly fogged glass or plastic, like the scratch protectors are. This diffuses the reflections and makes them softer and easier to see through. It doesnt eliminate them but it helps. The only dowside is a light foggy effect.

[quote name='danchilders']Actually new reports such as those featured on NPR last week are suggesting that more sun exposure may prevent more kinds of cancer than it potentially creates. As stated in the report, for every 1 person that dies of skin cancer 30 die from cancers that may be a result of vitamin D defficiency, and 20 minutes of sun exposure provides as much vitamin D as 50 QUARTS of milk (20,000 IU for sun, 400 for 1 quart of milk). Sunlight is your friend . . . but apparently not the DS's.

http://www.imakenews.com/vitalchoiceseafood/e_article000412181.cfm?x=b53jlSr,b1WDbhNQ,w[/QUOTE]
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Get one of these
house-front.jpg

bread's done
Back