DS Lite and Flash Cards

JBlade00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
I may have to take this to an EMU forum, but I figured I'd try here first.

I have a DS Lite... and it has a stuck pixel. I am wanting to try a few methods to get rid of it, one of them is using a program found online that flashes colors. I need to get a Flash Cart/ Card to load it and am wondering my best option. I looked at the M3, but it seems like in order to flash it I wouldn't get the 4 settings of brightness anymore... which I DON'T WANT. I want to make this as painless as possible. I do like the idea of homebrew as well and will probably load up some NES/ SNES games when I'm done w/ the pixel thing.

Any recommendations? Information? Thanks!
~Jon

Wait a second, I had always assumed that theoretically it was possible to run emulators through a flash card for a DS like the PSp runs them through a Memory Stick. So the point o fthis post is that the DS can no, without the shadow of a doubt, run emulators through flash cards? If so I'm going out tomorrow and buring two gig sticks, and hopefully maybe somebody will post a link to a site....

[quote name='JBlade00']I may have to take this to an EMU forum, but I figured I'd try here first.

I have a DS Lite... and it has a stuck pixel. I am wanting to try a few methods to get rid of it, one of them is using a program found online that flashes colors. I need to get a Flash Cart/ Card to load it and am wondering my best option. I looked at the M3, but it seems like in order to flash it I wouldn't get the 4 settings of brightness anymore... which I DON'T WANT. I want to make this as painless as possible. I do like the idea of homebrew as well and will probably load up some NES/ SNES games when I'm done w/ the pixel thing.

Any recommendations? Information? Thanks!
~Jon[/quote]
In order to run the M3 (or any flash cart kinda thing) you will need a thing called a Passme 2 which redirects the DS to the GBA slot to load data. The thing about flashing and losing the brightness settings has NOTHING to do with what you want to do (you are talking about unofficial firmware you can load onto the DS to negate the need for a Passme 2, however in order to put new firmware on you need a Passme 2 anyways ~ It's useful but not necessary! Besides there's now a new version of the unofficial firmware which supports the brightness settings). Anywho M3 + Passme 2 and you're set. Oh and pixel software isn't gauranteed to get rid of the stuck pixels but it has worked for a load of people.

Homebrew on the DS is pretty weak... SNES isn't too bad, runs well but low compatibility don't expect to play games like Chrono Trigger for example. There's a NES emu for the DS but it's still in it's early stages... just use the GBA one instead (the M3 can run in GBA mode too) as it's nigh on perfect; so good infact several companies took the source and used it in their commercial games.

Oh and next time you have a question ask an emulation forum or something... this isn't the place for these sorts of discussions!

:whistle2:#

[quote name='animefanakito']In order to run the M3 (or any flash cart kinda thing) you will need a thing called a Passme 2 which redirects the DS to the GBA slot to load data. The thing about flashing and losing the brightness settings has NOTHING to do with what you want to do (you are talking about unofficial firmware you can load onto the DS to negate the need for a Passme 2, however in order to put new firmware on you need a Passme 2 anyways ~ It's useful but not necessary! Besides there's now a new version of the unofficial firmware which supports the brightness settings). Anywho M3 + Passme 2 and you're set. Oh and pixel software isn't gauranteed to get rid of the stuck pixels but it has worked for a load of people.

Homebrew on the DS is pretty weak... SNES isn't too bad, runs well but low compatibility don't expect to play games like Chrono Trigger for example. There's a NES emu for the DS but it's still in it's early stages... just use the GBA one instead (the M3 can run in GBA mode too) as it's nigh on perfect; so good infact several companies took the source and used it in their commercial games.

Oh and next time you have a question ask an emulation forum or something... this isn't the place for these sorts of discussions!

:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Ya, good call... Figured I'd ask here first though, I don't like joining a million forums (even though I already belong to that many)

Anyways... thanks for that, I guess I have to think about whether it's worth it or not... I actually have 2 DS lite's and the gf's has the bright green stuck pixel. I've been trying for the life of me to fix it, but I can't really find anything. And of course Nintendo doesn't like import stuff so there is absolutely no warranty. I'm tempted to sell it now and pick up a US one when it come out, or just sell it when it comes out in the US... It's just a pain! :\

Thanks for the info though,
~Jon

The DS Lite FlashMe firmware has actually been released, so you can flash it and still have your brightness options. If you want more info, troa11 on this board is into the homebrew scene pretty heavily. Contact him

bread's done
Back