DS lite Battery Life + charging?

Theenternal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
With everything at full how much battery life do you get out of your DS lite?

And for charging it, is it better to let it go to red before u recharge? or recharge when not in use for a decent amount of time?

Battery: Lithium ion battery delivering five to 19 hours of play on a four-hour charge, depending on use; power-saving sleep mode; AC adapter.

ahh, thanks that "memory effect" term is exactly what i wondered...In addition also thanks for the 4-19 answer...mine typically is around 4 i guess and I remember seeing a 19, I assume thats with a simple game, no sound and low brightness :(

interesting note in the wiki to 'charge early and often'. i always waited till it turned red. anyways, figured i'd post the nintendo link here.

[quote name='Theenternal']ahh, thanks that "memory effect" term is exactly what i wondered...In addition also thanks for the 4-19 answer...mine typically is around 4 i guess and I remember seeing a 19, I assume thats with a simple game, no sound and low brightness :([/quote]

I haven't measured, but I'd say I get close to 15-20 hours every time--definitely the lowest brightness setting, but I definitely use sound. Not sure what's meant by a "simple" game--I had the same experience playing AW:DS, for example, as I did playing some of the GBA games (which, I would assume, use less battery power due to having only one display enabled).

My daughter's DSL (which was my original launch unit) just died. It wasn't the battery, as I switched my battery in and it still wouldn't turn on (power light on, lower screen flashes white, shut down). She plays it a lot, and I often didn't recharge before the red light came on. It was usually 2-3 days between charges, with fairly heavy gameplay or long sleep modes.

Nintendo customer service is fantastic. They're sending me a refurb replacement unit, which will also have a one-year warranty. It's nice to have the new unit in hand before I have to send back the broken one, so I can transfer her decorative stickers.

I know wifi use kills the battery, because it uses so much more memory, or something like that. I played so much online w/ Star Fox Command that I just left the damned thing plugged in the whole time so it wouldn't deplete it.

And Geigerm, I'm pretty sure GBA games or something like Advance Wars DS use little battery, but a game like FF3 seems to use more power. I recall reading that the reason the top screen didn't display anything during battles was because of system resources (although even a logo or still image would have been nice!)

But anything that's heavy on 3D rendering, opposed to a 2D game, most likely uses more battery.

[quote name='johnnypark']And Geigerm, I'm pretty sure GBA games or something like Advance Wars DS use little battery, but a game like FF3 seems to use more power. I recall reading that the reason the top screen didn't display anything during battles was because of system resources (although even a logo or still image would have been nice!)

But anything that's heavy on 3D rendering, opposed to a 2D game, most likely uses more battery.[/quote]

You could very well be right--I just started playing FF3, so I'll see if I have the same experience and report back ... maybe. All I know is that thus far, I've been very impressed with the battery life.

GBA games definately have a lower battery drain than DS games, in my experience. Right off the bat, you only have one of the screens lighting up.

bread's done
Back