DS lite hands on impressions from Lik-sang

interesting stuff. i have to admit though, i think i might like original one better just because of the gba cartrige sticking out. i know i wont want one in there unless im playing a gba game, so ill have to take it in and out every time as opposed to always having puzzle fighter plugged in. i might rather just spend the money getting my hands on a graphite original.

"A few other minor fine-tuning steps have been taken with the new Nintendo DS Lite: the D-pad is smaller and sharper, the buttons are spring-loaded, thicker and with an improved shape, while, finally, the Stylus is now longer too."

Yes! Although I'm really surprised how far a GBA cart sticks out.

The screen looks good. They don't mention if it blurs or not. The buttons and the d-pad sound good. I don't like the GBA game sticking out either but it will probably be less annoying than it was on the SP (GB+GBC) due to the controls being spread out a bit more.

better buttons and d-pad, better screen brightness and quality. And smaller less heavy size. I'm going to try and sell mine to a friend and pick this one up when it comes out. And with New Super Mario Bros coming out the same month here. I smell a bundle possibility, which will most definetly seal the deal for me for a launch buy.

When is this supposed to come out in the US? I want one. I'm thinking of importing one, but I'm curious about service - I've heard things about dead pixels on DS's, and I don't think Nintendo of america would service a Japanese DS. Am I right about that? Is this something I should worry about?

Damn that sucks that it doesnt use the same charger as the Micro. I was hoping to get rid of one of them off my desktop. The GBA cart sticking out doesn't bother me too much, I usually prefer to bring my Micro if my intent is to play GBA games but if I only had a DS I would probably be pissed.

Remember how much the GB and GBC carts stick out of the original GBA. This is no where near that bad so I'll live.

heres a nice lil comparison of the screens on Metroid Pinball

mppcompare2el.jpg

top is regular, bottom is lite.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']heres a nice lil comparison of the screens on Metroid Pinball

mppcompare2el.jpg

top is regular, bottom is lite.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I can't wait to buy one.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']heres a nice lil comparison of the screens on Metroid Pinball

mppcompare2el.jpg

you have just convinced me again that I am not making a dumb choice in selling my regular DS for the Lite... :drool:

mppcompare2el.jpg

....that's a way bigger difference than I had hoped. Damn you Nintendo!

Nice! Too bad alot of people will be pissed when they can't get one. I have two pre-ordered (White and Navy Blue) and may pick up a White one at a local import shop.

When Nintendo comes out with a limited editon color or game bundle that I'm interested in I'll trade up.

For now... I'll deal with my Mario Kart DS.

The DS Lite looks sweet however, I'll wait to get one till there is a price drop or a decent deal for one. Hopefully Target will have another misprint!

[quote name='SpottedNigel']about 2 more weeks and it shall be MINE!!!

...I really just want to play Mario Kart again and play Phoenix Wright for the first time...[/QUOTE]

i think castlevania is worth going through again once i get a lite. although the animations were smooth i always thought the colors were washed out...

and for cags getting their ds lites soon, please post pics and impressions!

Impressions would be good. I might even hold off playing any more of a game until I can get my hands on one. Those pictures are scary different.

Man makes me wonder how nintendo was able to get away with the orignal GBA. I still have nightmares about trying to see the screen with some of my games.

Wow, the difference in screens is amazing. I was expecting that the 2nd or 3rd light setting would be similar to the regular DS, not the least bright setting. I like the overall look a lot better, and the buttons definitely look like they'll be an improvement. And the decrease in weight and size is a huge bonus. I'm sold.

The rumor for the U.S. release is May 7th, though nothing is official yet.

Man, I need a DS. Badly. Already bought Osu! Tatakae! Ouedan! and Trauma Center with Meteos and Phoenix Wright on the way.

Why do I buy games for a system I don't own and probably won't own until September? :bomb:I must secretely love tourturing myself or something...

my.php

my.php

my.php

some more comparison shots between dsl vs old. don't know how to post pics so here are the links. can't wait for a us release.

I'm starting to hate all these comparison pics. I understand the screen is brighter, but more apparent is that the current DS screen is not very photogenic. If it was as dark as all these images appear, I'd be blind from playing it by now.

Lik-Sang raised the price of my pre-order from $169 to $199 - with no guarantee of when it would ship at even the higher price.

I cancelled my order. I can just wait until the US release like everyone else.

mppcompare2el.jpg

top is regular, bottom is lite.[/quote]

Goddamn. Now I have to get one....but not right now =P

Damn that lite looks sweet. I'm going to have to get myself one of those after I win the lotto. :D

[quote name='botticus']I'm starting to hate all these comparison pics. I understand the screen is brighter, but more apparent is that the current DS screen is not very photogenic. If it was as dark as all these images appear, I'd be blind from playing it by now.[/quote]

Ive put my DS (i miss it so much...) by my Micro, and that difference is right on. The ds made it hard to play the SP, and the Micro/SP2/DS Lite does the same thing to the original DS. It's drastic. You'll wonder how you could be play it for so long before without having some sort of eye problem.

Thanks. I was thinking cameras might be a factor too. With that I'll have to get a light. And with a difference that notible. Everyone stateside will be getting one too and it will likely sell out here as well. That means launch buy for me.

bread's done
Back