DS Lite hinge crack question.

ExplodingRat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Hurray!

I bought my fiance a DSiXL. Seeing as she just got an upgrade, she was so kind to offer me her old system. She took 100% great care of the thing, and there's not a scratch on it. She's the type to wrap it in 2 microfiber cleaning cloths before putting it inside the padded case. Excessive? Maybe. But we both worked at GameStop and HATE seeing how wrecked some of the systems would come in.

So she hands me her perfect DS. I excitedly unzip the case, take the DS out, unwrap the cloths from the outside, slowly open the cover and... *TICK!*. So now the DS has a crack on the hinge, and I look like a retard that broke a DS within seconds of holding it.

tl:dr : Does anyone know if Nintendo is still doing free repairs on the Lites? I went to Nintendo.com, which just prompted a $75+tax+shipping repair charge. Is there a workaround? Should I just call in?

[quote name='ExplodingRat']Hurray!

I bought my fiance a DSiXL. Seeing as she just got an upgrade, she was so kind to offer me her old system. She took 100% great care of the thing, and there's not a scratch on it. She's the type to wrap it in 2 microfiber cleaning cloths before putting it inside the padded case. Excessive? Maybe. But we both worked at GameStop and HATE seeing how wrecked some of the systems would come in.

So she hands me her perfect DS. I excitedly unzip the case, take the DS out, unwrap the cloths from the outside, slowly open the cover and... *TICK!*. So now the DS has a crack on the hinge, and I look like a retard that broke a DS within seconds of holding it.

tl:dr : Does anyone know if Nintendo is still doing free repairs on the Lites? I went to Nintendo.com, which just prompted a $75+tax+shipping repair charge. Is there a workaround? Should I just call in?[/QUOTE]

u can go on ebay and buy a replacement case. There are many youtube videos on replacing the ds lite casing. dont waste $75

I started to watch a video and thought about doing it myself. Is it fairly easy? Only part I worry about is disconnecting the cables/ribbon cables, as sometimes things don't want to just disconnect nicely.

[quote name='ExplodingRat']I started to watch a video and thought about doing it myself. Is it fairly easy? Only part I worry about is disconnecting the cables/ribbon cables, as sometimes things don't want to just disconnect nicely.[/QUOTE]

It's not hard. Jujst follow the video and don't pull so hard on the ribbon.
If u are a zelda fan, there is Zelda case on ebay....(the one that was limited edition)

Yeah, as soon as I got onto eBay, there's a few sellers that just have every Limited case design you can think of, and then some.

Like you said, I'm reading the ribbon is the absolute worst part. But then I see replacements for that for $9, so that's not too bad...

bread's done
Back