DS Lite Hinge Cracked and Broke - Advice?

WormFOODx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Well, my DS Lite finally cracked and broke through. Short of buying a whole new DS, what are my options? Nintendo wants just about as much to fix it as I could buy a used one.

What has everyone else that has had this done?

I sent him a PM, but he hasn't been around in a couple of weeks so we will see. Thanks!

I thought about just buying a kit from China and fixing it myself. Anyone have any experience on how hard that is?

My hinge cracked so bad that the lid of the DS just flapped around in the breeze and wouldn't lock into any position.

Amazingly I was able to fix it with a few drops of super glue.

I did a couple of the original DS, and it wasn't that bad, but there are definitely two things to keep in mind:

1) Make sure that you keep each type of screw separated, and do not lose any. They are small so you will need to make sure you put them in something so they don't roll around while you're working.

2) When taking it apart and putting it back together, be careful with the cables that connect the bottom and top sections of the DS. They will be inside the hinge in the middle, and they can become damaged if you aren't careful.

Keeping these things in mind you should be okay. I would imagine that the DS Lite has lees room to work with when replacing the case, but if you take your time and take care not to damage the parts, you should be fine.

A quick google search for "replace ds lite case" (without quotes), provides a great variety of instructions on the first page, take your pick for whichever is the most understandable for you. Whatever you choose, I wish the best of luck to you.

This happened to me and I put a clear play through case on it and it is not too bad. The case kinda holds it in place.

If you know what you are doing you could take it apart and fix it yourself. The DS isn't super complicated inside, just be careful when handling the electronics. You could probably find a replacement part on eBay.

I have two broken DS systems that need the cases replaced because of the broken hinges, I may turn to Dealextreme for the "limited edition" cases they've got. Always wanted that Gold Zelda DS, so this will satisfy that need. $10 solution. I've got a DSi now anyway, so no big deal, plus, I'll probably jump on a 3DS at launch.

bread's done
Back