DS Lite Rumble Pak import question

Brian234

CAGiversary!
I own the original DS and I haven't bought a DS Lite yet mainly due to not having a rumble pak that fits into the DS Lite.

Yesterday I read that such a device does exist in Japan and Play Asia sells it.

Does the Japanese rumble pak work in the US DS Lites?

[quote name='Brian234']I own the original DS and I haven't bought a DS Lite yet mainly due to not having a rumble pak that fits into the DS Lite.

Yesterday I read that such a device does exist in Japan and Play Asia sells it.

Does the Japanese rumble pak work in the US DS Lites?[/QUOTE]

Yes. No paks of any kind are region specific.

Yup, I've got it. I think it's actually a tad better than the bigger one.

It's awesome for Elite Beat Agents, and almost necessary if you want to play Clubhouse Games and watch TV or something at the same time. Other than that its execution is kinda limited.

Just so that you know, though, don't expect any improvement in tactile feel, or any improvement in noise level. The DS Lite Rumble Pak uses the exact same motor as the regular DS version. It just seems to be that the circuitry around the device is much more compact. (There's gotta be a way to mod in a regular motor, though, no? Like what came with Drill Dozer?)

That said, though, I'm glad I can finally have a bit of rumble without the cart jetting out out the slot, as it looked with the regular pak. As far as usage for a Rumble Pak in general goes, I agree that it's awesome for Elite Beat Agents -- and Star Fox Command also uses it pretty decently (though, it's kinda weird how it starts to sound like old PC Speaker sound effects).

[ What Nintendo should've done from the onset, though, was to make those emtpy GBA slot covers for the DS Lite into Rumble Paks. That way, maybe more developers would've incorporated its use into more games. ]

I hated the idea of using a big rumble pak in my DS Lite, but I found one for $0.01 at CC and bought it. It's actually no big deal. I wouldn't sweat it. You sort of get used to the akwardness after playing GBA games, anyway.

[quote name='ma']I hated the idea of using a big rumble pak in my DS Lite, but I found one for $0.01 at CC and bought it. It's actually no big deal. I wouldn't sweat it. You sort of get used to the akwardness after playing GBA games, anyway.[/quote]
Is the $0.01 price a YMMV?

I was interested in this but then i saw the price at Play-Asia, 24 bucks?! no thanks, i'll stick with the gba one that came with Metroid Prime Pinball

3rd party EWIN rumble packs are available for $10 at www.pdapuffin.com.

Shipping to the US is $3.50.

These fit the lite and come in all the lite colors.

I have ordered them for my white and pink Lites. (already imported the black one for my black lite months ago)

My EWIN paks have not arrived yet but I will report on them when they do! :bouncy:

[quote name='Puffa469']I had no idea the rumblepack worked with Clubhouse games.

Now where did I put that copy of MP Pinball?[/QUOTE]Whoa, I also didn't know that... and I didn't know it worked for EBA either. I need to pay more attention.

I too need to find out where my MP Pinball rumble pack is.

[quote name='jeffreagin']3rd party EWIN rumble packs are available for $10 at www.pdapuffin.com.

I have ordered them for my white and pink Lites. (already imported the black one for my black lite months ago)

My EWIN paks have not arrived yet but I will report on them when they do! :bouncy:[/quote]
I think I am going to spring for one on eBay, and give you my impressions, too, if I decide to get one. I love the rumble pak, but I hate how it sticks out of my Lite, I want one I can keep in at all times, even when I am not playing a Rumble-enabled game.

Sorry this is a side question but,

Is the rumble pak worth having? Does it really add enough to gameplay to make it worth the $?

[quote name='portland485']Sorry this is a side question but,

Is the rumble pak worth having? Does it really add enough to gameplay to make it worth the $?[/quote]You can get it free with Metroid Prime Pinball, so that's a non-issue as MPP is a really great game.

As far as the Lite pack is concerned, it is pricey, but I somehow sold my Phat rubmle pak from MPP for $18 on Amazon, so I only spent like $6 to get it. A worthy investment then.

[quote name='daroga']You can get it free with Metroid Prime Pinball, so that's a non-issue as MPP is a really great game.

As far as the Lite pack is concerned, it is pricey, but I somehow sold my Phat rubmle pak from MPP for $18 on Amazon, so I only spent like $6 to get it. A worthy investment then.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, unfortunately if you only own a DSL and no DS phat, then getting the free one with MPP is basically useless.

[quote name='jeffreagin']3rd party EWIN rumble packs are available for $10 at www.pdapuffin.com.

My EWIN paks have not arrived yet but I will report on them when they do! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Have you gotten them yet? I just ordered the white one. I gave my original RP to my brother along with my DS fat, figuring a Lite version would be released stateside before too long. I'm tired of waiting and I miss the rumble (buzz is more accurate) in a lot of games. I'm actually holding off from playing Clubhouse Games and Hotel Dusk until I get it.

[quote name='Warg']
[ What Nintendo should've done from the onset, though, was to make those emtpy GBA slot covers for the DS Lite into Rumble Paks. That way, maybe more developers would've incorporated its use into more games. ][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know why they didn't do that...

and they needed to make it as good as Drill Dozer's rumble. That worked really great, so I don't know why the DS pack, where that's all it is, is supposed to be so lousy.

[quote name='portland485']Sounds good, unfortunately if you only own a DSL and no DS phat, then getting the free one with MPP is basically useless.[/QUOTE]

How so?

bread's done
Back