DS Lite Screen Protector

Yep, Hori protectors are great. Didn't really believe it til I tried, but now, it's probably the only covers I will use on any system screen.

If you've got a local Fry's in your area, the (US) Hori Screen Protectors are $6.99. Just call in advance to make sure they have some in stock.

Where else can you get them? I'm using whatever normal brand they have at Best Buy or wherever-Pelican maybe?

I only use the protector for the bottom screen, as the top one is pointless, it's already got a protector over it.

I'd advise against the Hori protectors. I just tried to put on the Hori protector today and it was an utter and complete piece of shit. The top protector left tons of bubbles that I couldn't smooth out, so I took it off to reapply it and get the bubbles out when I re-applied it some dust particles had stuck to it and created more bubbles, not only that but the sides I had gently pried up to remove it were bent and wouldn't stick anymore. So the top protector was now useless.

The bottom went better...until I pulled it up to remove 1 little bubble, it had left a film all over my touch screen. So I removed that for good and was able to clean the film off the screen eventually.

So yeah those Hori protectors are pieces of crap. Can anyone recomend one that doesn't suck ass...leave bubbles...or leave a film on my screen?

[quote name='jimbodan']I'd advise against the Hori protectors. I just tried to put on the Hori protector today and it was an utter and complete piece of shit. The top protector left tons of bubbles that I couldn't smooth out, so I took it off to reapply it and get the bubbles out when I re-applied it some dust particles had stuck to it and created more bubbles, not only that but the sides I had gently pried up to remove it were bent and wouldn't stick anymore. So the top protector was now useless.

The bottom went better...until I pulled it up to remove 1 little bubble, it had left a film all over my touch screen. So I removed that for good and was able to clean the film off the screen eventually.

So yeah those Hori protectors are pieces of crap. Can anyone recomend one that doesn't suck ass...leave bubbles...or leave a film on my screen?[/quote]
Fakes?

I can't comment on the film left behind, but bubbles are a potential problem with any screen protector... and it's not really a fault of the screen protector, it's all in how you apply them.

[quote name='62t']um you are suppose to use like a credit card to smooth it out.[/quote]QFT. Also, it depends on how you apply the protector as well. If you're really anal, I suggest getting an air duster to clear any dust specks you have on screen, and apply it outdoors.

it would seem that those who can't properly apply a screen protector would be the ones who need it the most, since they probably wouldn't be able to use their ds properly without scratching it up. what a conundrum.

A little OT, and somewhat noobish question: Are the DS and DS Lite screens identical size, i.e. can use the same protectors?

Are they bigger or smaller on the Lite? I own both, and didn't even know they're a different size.

I've been fine with Pelican's screen protector-but only use the bottom one, not the top (the top screen already has a protector on it, and you can get a replacement from Nintendo for a few dollars.

[quote name='Puppy']Are they bigger or smaller on the Lite? I own both, and didn't even know they're a different size.

I've been fine with Pelican's screen protector-but only use the bottom one, not the top (the top screen already has a protector on it, and you can get a replacement from Nintendo for a few dollars.[/quote]

Well the screens themselves are the same size, but the plastic over the top screen is a different size. I believe it's smaller on the lite. You could still use one for the both, but the top one would look funny. The bottom should be the same though.

Okay, thanks! Guess I don't need to worry about finding ones for the particular model then. IMO it doesn't make sense to use a protector on the top screen since Nintendo already ships it with a protector (that's user replaceable).

[quote name='slvrdrgn123']Fakes?[/QUOTE]

Not Unless Play-Asia is selling fakes. Bottom line is they left a film and the bubbles wouldn't come out, you can use your fingers, a credit card, a piece of cardboard, or a fucking squeegee to try and smooth them out but it did no good.

Definitely Hori's. They are thick and you can tell they are high quality. I have had them on since the DS Lite first came out and it still look like it did when i first put them on. They do leave some residue when you finally do take them off but its nothing a little spit and shine won't take out.

You just have to be careful applying them in order to not get dust and air bubbles. Bubbles are actually pretty easy to get out if you just use the scotch tape procedure to lift part of the screen protector off and reapply. If there are specks of dust on the screen protector, this can also be taken out with scotch tape.

Once you get them on, it looks very immaculate. No one that plays with my DS even notices them; many people actually suggest that i get screen protectors only to find out that i already have them applied. I put the Hori on my friends old beatup phat DS with scratches on the touch screen and now it looks almost as good as new with the protector on. It actually hides alot of the microscratches that build up over time on the touch screen.

FYI, i got mine from Decalgirl.com, which was $6.50 at the time with good shipping prices. Also the Lite and nonLite versions are different sizes. Even the bottom ones are different. The Lite actually has a bigger screen than DS Phat beleive it or not. The VIEWABLE size is the same on both DS's, but the DSLite has a slightly bigger border around the viewable area. So definitely get the correct ones for your DS

bread's done
Back