DS lite - The first session

I got a normal ds around september and I got rid of it today to get my lite. All I can say is wow. The brightness blows me away, the lite looks great, it is more comfortable, the buttons are better, and I love the new stylus. I also got no dead pixels on my system.

I'm having trouble getting used to the new stylus position. I keep reaching behind the top screen to grab the stylus. It always takes me a couple seconds to remember that it is on the side.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']You're supposed to fully charge it before the first power up...FYI[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's not true. There was an articel on this and the Nintendo DS battery is not a memory battery the way other electronics are (camcorders, laptops, etc)

I forgot what type (Ni-CD? Ni-MH?) but it's safe to say, the DS Lite battery is charge anywhere/any time. You don't have to charge it to its fullest potential or let it completely run out

[quote name='Requiem']I'm pretty sure that's not true. There was an articel on this and the Nintendo DS battery is not a memory battery the way other electronics are (camcorders, laptops, etc)

I forgot what type (Ni-CD? Ni-MH?) but it's safe to say, the DS Lite battery is charge anywhere/any time. You don't have to charge it to its fullest potential or let it completely run out[/QUOTE]

The reason its advised in the manual is because the battery technology is most optimally stored for long periods of time at 40%-ish...meaning most units on store shelves are about at that point...its better to fill it than to use it for a couple hours and then turn it off for the night with not much left.

The thing uses Lithium Ion batteries. It can take quite a lot of punishment, although you should avoid running it down all the way, if possible (unless it's a "smart" battery [unclear], in which case it should be run down then fully recharged every 30 days to recalibrate its internal system which indicates when it's low). It really won't matter how much you use it before recharging. Nintendo probably recommends charging before use simply because it likely won't be fully charged from the factory.

My girlfriend's lasted about 50 minutes out of the box (at whatever the brightness defaults to) before it said the battery was low. I used mine for a bit, charged for an hour or so, and got a few hours in before it said it was low. Recharged full overnight, and it didn't go low all day.

Will probably plug it in tonight to top it off for the next day.

Some reference material:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

-HM

[quote name='Foolman']I'm having trouble getting used to the new stylus position. I keep reaching behind the top screen to grab the stylus. It always takes me a couple seconds to remember that it is on the side.[/QUOTE]

same here... same goes for the power buttons and start and select, but i'm getting use to it.

Could someone with a lite do me a favor and press with the stylus around the edges of the touch screen? Not hard or anything, but arstechnica reported that the screen had some vertical movement, like it wasn't fixed tightly in place...it WAS a navy import, and the only other person in the forums who reported the issue had a navy import, so maybe its an isolated thing. I don't think the idea that the lite is not as well made as the DS phat and im hoping that was a random isolated thing.

Thanks!

Where/how did you guys get rid of your originial DS's? I stupidly held off on selling mine on ebay, but I really want a Lite. If you traded it in, how much were you/do you get for it?

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Could someone with a lite do me a favor and press with the stylus around the edges of the touch screen? Not hard or anything, but arstechnica reported that the screen had some vertical movement, like it wasn't fixed tightly in place...it WAS a navy import, and the only other person in the forums who reported the issue had a navy import, so maybe its an isolated thing. I don't think the idea that the lite is not as well made as the DS phat and im hoping that was a random isolated thing.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

A few of us over at the dead pixel forum noticed this as well. When I press down on the lower right corner of my white DS I can hear a light clicking sound and feel it press down a bit. At first it bothered me, but once I realized that others had this problem, and that I can't hear/feel it when playing makes it an easy thing to ignore. The touch screen still registers perfectly though, and it's much better than having a dead pixel.

[quote name='Rig']Where/how did you guys get rid of your originial DS's? I stupidly held off on selling mine on ebay, but I really want a Lite. If you traded it in, how much were you/do you get for it?[/QUOTE]

Theres a possibility some EB/GSes will offer 70 through today...people were posting that that's what the automatic message they got from them...

But the reports said it was through 6/13 so I would hurry.

bread's done
Back