DS Max Media Dock clearance $15 at Wal-Mart

You use it to watch videos, listen to music, look at pictures, etc. from an SD card (supports up to 8GB cards). It can run emulators, too. I wouldn't mind snagging one, just for that.

are you sure becuase I went to their website and it says clearance but the price is at 34.82 and the normal price was 37.82

Walmart deals are a diamond in the rough; most of them are shit, but sometimes someone finds a jewel that's worth posting. I'd personally classify this one as such. ^_^

Also, Walmart clearances are YMMV (your mileage may vary), which means that, just because someone else found it at a certain price, doesn't mean that the Walmart you go to will have it at that price too.

For instance, I saw this very same device at two Walmarts, one it was clearanced to $30, the other $35. I'd definitely get it at $15 though for the emulator capabilities.

But anyway, it does appear that DS Max Media Dock is being clearanced, the price though depends on the store.

wow, sounds good for $10 or $15.

Love My R4, paid $35 or $40 shipped for it. not sure if this media max thing is in the same league though.

EDIT: Looking at ebay descriptions, this thing is bulkier than R4s or supercards, but does about the same thing. Allows you to play homebrew games and apps, some of which are rather awesome...like DSOrganize (makes your DS like a Palm Pilot) Warcraft Tower Defense, and there's a new ebook reader out that lets you hold your DS like a book and read txt files. Oh, and Doom, Hexen, many of the lucas arts adventure games (including sam and max) have been ported successfully to the DS, but you need one of these kind of devices. Opens up new worlds....

Not to mention you can run emulators on it... for instance, playing backups of your games you own. Personally, I run all my DS software (only that which I own!!) off a single cart with a device like this. But the really awesome stuff is the homebrew.

Nemo, you make me want to get it right now :bouncy: if its that good. But what are the downsides besides being kinda bulky?

The Max Media Dock doesn't come with any flash storage initially, so you'll end up having to buy a CompactFlash card.

I used to have one of these, they're pretty big, especially on a Lite, but if you have an old phat DS, then it blends in with the case better. It'll run homebrew pretty well, the highligh probably being the ScummVM and NES emulators. I'd say it's worth the $15 if you're willing to use the large GBA pack.

My Wal-Mart had 2 of these also for $15, both my and my buddy bought them. They had just about every DS case you could imagine on clearance for $3.50 too. Wii start up kit with 512 SD cards are $12. However, unlike the earlier post said, you don't use an SD card on this, it is Compact Flash. I thought it used SD and was mistaken.

Check fatwallet for memory prices.

There are 1 or 2 lengthy threads there also about homebrew et al, do a search for "R4". FWIW, the R4s use mircoSD cards, and only use the DS slot, not the GBA slot. It soulnds like stuff otherwise works similar. There may be DLDI patching steps that are different (don't ask me what that means, I just use the tools to do it)

I picked one up last week on clearance and a 2G Ativa CF for $24 at OD last week and set it up for my son for his BDAY. After playing with it for a day this thing is great. Movies are great and easy to convert, music is easy, and the best is the games. You can use homebrew or download the demos from wiki.
Great price and addon for the DS.

I don't know, I would pay a bit more and get an R4.

With this, you have to buy a CF card and then a USB reader for it. Or you can get the superior R4, 1GB MicroSD, and SD reader for $43.95 shipped.

id get it for under 15.00. Found one that was at 7.00 but it looked open boxed return type shit so I passed.

Thanks OP!

Found one (and only one) at Wal-Mart today for $20. I almost did a happy dance. You have to understand that I never find any deals or anything on clearance at this Wal-Mart ever, so I was surprised and happy.

Since I already have a 1GB CompactFlash and a USB reader, this makes a lot of sense for me.

I want one of these but the Walmarts around me say they have never heard of it. Well one said that Best Buy carries it but Walmart does not.

Oh well. Maybe next time...

I've checked around, and everyone recommends either the R4DS or the DS-X, which are slot 1 devices with strong support bases, over this largely unsupported Datel Max Media Dock. I like a cheapass deal as much as the next guy, and I was excited to find out about the Dock going on clearance because I was interested in using homebrew apps ... but I was excited enough to do some research and learn that I'd be much better off saving my money and putting it toward one of these other solutions.

Damn! Hit two Wallyworlds tonight, found nuthin'.

These things are generally pretty looked down upon in the GBA/DS dev scene. Among DS dev devices, they're the least compatible with homebrew software, not to mention they're much bigger and bulkier than the newest DS-cart-sized devices.

But under $15 is the kind of cheap that I can live with (if I could only find one). I've had a GBA flash cart for a couple years and it's one of the best investments I ever made. I've been looking at upgrading to something for DS homebrew, but the kind of thing I'd really want runs about $100. This Max Media thingy would be a nice way to get my feet wet, and includes the "Pass" cartridge that I would need to buy seperately anyway if I sprung for a G6 Lite.

If you've never tried homebrew for your favorite portable system, I can't recommend it enough. $15 bucks seems a cheap enough risk to get your foot in the door.

I picked this up for $16 a few days ago (there was still one left at the Carrollton, GA Wal-Mart).

AFAIK, backup games must be patched to run on this. Anyone have a link to that information? It may only be possible with the original model (not the Max Media Dock for DS light as this one claims to be).

I actually picked this up thinking it used SD cards, I confused compact flash with it, I guess. I have extra SD but not compact flash, already opened, so I guess I should hunt for a compact flash card. All in all I'll spend about $30 after the compact flash is purchased, which is about the amount I'd spend on an R4 anyways.

Edit: Hehe actually, it's way cheaper to go with the Max Media, since I realized the R4 goes with MICRO SD, and not normal SD cards, so I'd have to get another card anyways, and their hardly cheaper. So all in all, good media playback with homebrew for $30. Not bad at all!

[quote name='Masume']I actually picked this up thinking it used SD cards, I confused compact flash with it, I guess. I have extra SD but not compact flash, already opened, so I guess I should hunt for a compact flash card. All in all I'll spend about $30 after the compact flash is purchased, which is about the amount I'd spend on an R4 anyways.

Edit: Hehe actually, it's way cheaper to go with the Max Media, since I realized the R4 goes with MICRO SD, and not normal SD cards, so I'd have to get another card anyways, and their hardly cheaper. So all in all, good media playback with homebrew for $30. Not bad at all![/quote]

microSD cards can be had for around $12.00, you can buy the microSD card and the R4 bundled together for $43.95, or just the R4 itself for $31.95.

If you're interested, or anyone else is give me a PM and I'll provide a link.

Hmm. If I found one of these I would pick it up.

However, I did just pick up the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi adapter for $9.00 on clearance at my Wal-Mart.

Bought it earlier this week, was going to try it tonight since I had to remove the extra battery thing I got at Best Buy awhile back -- the two wouldn't fit together.

I can't get the Max Media chip out of Slot 1. Anyone else have this problem? Mind sharing your advice in this thread I created before I go into Ouendan withdrawal?

Thanks.

[quote name='yukine']microSD cards can be had for around $12.00, you can buy the microSD card and the R4 bundled together for $43.95, or just the R4 itself for $31.95.

If you're interested, or anyone else is give me a PM and I'll provide a link.[/quote]
Yeah, just checked too. But considering I already opened the Max I'll have to stick with it and just nab a compact flash. No biggie, it's not a large device anyways.

[quote name='pun123']I had to push down first, then pull it out, had to show my son that too, he had same problem.[/quote]

That wasn't it.

I finally had to force it, after figuring out how the DS keeps the chips in place. I don't know why this chip has more of a problem, other than it's a really tight fit.

It appears my dock doesn't work. I connect the USB cable and nothing happens, and I just get white screens when I run the whole thing on the DS.

Guess I'll have to brave their tech support.

[quote name='Masume']Yeah, just checked too. But considering I already opened the Max I'll have to stick with it and just nab a compact flash. No biggie, it's not a large device anyways.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure it's fine for video and music. I'm just not sure how well homebrew runs on it.

Anyone know if Datel's Games n' Music does the same thing as media dock. Or how it is in compariosn to media dock? Games n music takes micro sd cards. It's at about $30.

[quote name='kube00']Anyone know if Datel's Games n' Music does the same thing as media dock. Or how it is in compariosn to media dock? Games n music takes micro sd cards. It's at about $30.[/quote]

I don't know, but microSD is the way to go.

Max Media Docks cannot compare to Supercard, R4, or M3 devices. They can run some homebrew, thanks to DLDI, but you would probably be much better off with a Supercard, R4, or M3.

[quote name='quadomatic']Max Media Docks cannot compare to Supercard, R4, or M3 devices. They can run some homebrew, thanks to DLDI, but you would probably be much better off with a Supercard, R4, or M3.[/quote]

I agree, but these are only $15.00 and you can pick them up at a B&M store. R4 FTW though.

bread's done
Back