DS Online info?!?

Snake2715

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
IGN Mailbag:

"I was wondering even though nintendo hasn't said anything about wifi hasn't someone cracked open the ds or searched on a wireless network for a wifi chip or signal?

Justin

Technical savvy Nintendo DS owners have indeed been poking around the DS hardware to see what sort of WiFi capabilities the system has, and in fact, just a few days after the system shipped several people with the necessary equipment noticed that PictoChat was actually sending the DS system's MAC address out wirelessly via 802.11. MAC addresses are, like an IP address, an identifier attached to pretty much any networking equipment, but unlike IP addresses, a MAC address is permanent/hardwired to the hardware. So it's just a matter of time until someone cracks the DS broadcast code and enables games to broadcast over the internet.

In the meantime, however, there's been rumblings at Nintendo that indicate that the company will finally unwrap its DS online plans very very soon. As it goes, Nintendo left the keys to the WiFi car in the hands of the third-party developers, but the third-party developers didn't want to drive it without Nintendo making the engine. So, as a result, if we've been hearing things correctly, Nintendo will finally and very, very soon, reveal its own "Xbox Live" like service for developers to adopt. And the first game out of Nintendo to use this service will be one of those massively killer Nintendo brands that people have been wanting to play online for years...

-- Craig"

Link other tidbits at the link:

http://ds.ign.com/mail/

And the first game out of Nintendo to use this service will be one of those massively killer Nintendo brands that people have been wanting to play online for years...

I'm with you, Max. If Animal Crossing or Smash Brothers is online, consider me selling my soul to play it. A "massively killer" nintendo brand that people have been wanting to play online for "years"?

Mario Kart? It's got to be either that or Smash Brothers. Animal Crossing was "online" from the getgo, with that brilliant trading feature, so I doubt that'd be it.

[quote name='evilmax17']SMASH BROTHERS! GOD DAMN LET IT BE SMASH BROTHERS!

OR ANIMAL CROSSING! GOD DAMN![/quote]

SMASH BROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. If the DS gets Smash Bros. I will plunk down the money for the console on the spot...

"Justin,

We haven't the slightest idea. Nintendo hasn't been willing to admit anything. It will take us several hundred words to convey this to you."

if it was smash hope they would add a few extra charaters and moves from melee. (or just marth and all his moves)

[quote name='arsenalgear']Dude.
Pokemon. Onliine. MMORPG. Need I say more?
If they do it, i'll drop the monthly fee gladly.[/quote]

That was the first thing in my mind, mainly becase Nintendo has done some light hinting on it.

[quote name='flizmo007']My money is on Mario Kart as well...[/quote]
id luv to drop cash on mario kart ds

did you repost your own post?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47883

Hey, what's this?

EXCLUSIVE: DS ONLINE - IT'S OFFICIAL!

Nintendo lining up online service for DS and possibly paving the way for Xbox Live-style service for Revolution

16:09 Rumours have been doing the rounds since the Nintendo DS became available last year that the handheld would be able to play games online via its wi-fi connection. While tech-heads have been working their digital socks off to crack the problem, Nintendo has remained silent on the possibility of online DS gaming.

Not any more. "The DS does have online capabilities that Nintendo is exploring," a spokesperson for Nintendo confirmed to us today, "but plans for these capabilities have not been announced yet."

With our juices flowing from this tasty - and official - morsel, we pressed our unofficial sources close to the Japanese games giant for more information. We were informed that an online service for DS is definitely on the way, and that you'll be able to download/upload information as well as play games online. In addition, apparently at least two US and Japanese third-party developers have been trialling the DS online, and have even managed to get more than 16 DSs linked wirelessly at one time.

The likelihood is - and this is only speculation at present - that DS online would work is a similar fashion to the rumoured plans for PSP's wi-fi networking we reported yesterday (catch up here). You'd need to be in range with a wireless access point to the internet (a PC, a public wireless hotspot like a café or airport, or even a Nintendo Revolution...?), which would then upload and download information from your DS and send it across the network. In this way you could play against DS owners around the world.

While no final plans have been detailed by Nintendo for DS online, it seems we're extremely close to an announcement - possibly at Nintendo's unveiling of the European pricepoint and release date for the handheld on Thursday, January 27 in Paris. We'll be there.

These revelations follow more speculation about Nintendo's online plans for DS aroused by a reader's letter to IGN's DS subsite. Responding to a query about the DS's wi-fi capabilities Craig Harris, the editor-in-chief of the site, made the following statement:

"There's been rumblings at Nintendo that indicate that the company will finally unwrap its DS online plans very, very soon. If we've been hearing things correctly, Nintendo will finally and very, very soon, reveal its own "Xbox Live"-like service for developers to adopt. "

From the speculation we've heard today, it seems that Mr. Harris may well be right on the money. But what about games to exploit this new online capability in DS? Harris offers, "And the first game out of Nintendo to use this service will be one of those massively killer Nintendo brands that people have been wanting to play online for years..."

Mario Kart DS? A new Pokemon game? Consider speculation season open.

So that's the exciting DS news, but where does this leave Nintendo's next-gen Revolution? Rumours stemming from an alleged inside source at Nintendo we reported on yesterday mentioned that Nintendo were working on an online gaming strategy that would debut on DS and carry over to Revolution. Now it looks like that claim is far more reliable since it would make perfect sense for Nintendo to debut an online gaming network on DS, and then refine it for the arrival of their next-gen home console.

Good news, or what? The reality of the situation is that Nintendo needs an online gaming strategy for both DS and Revolution. While the company has argued in the past that online gaming is not an immediate concern, the success of Xbox Live and PS2's online component, coupled with the imminent threat of a PSP that looks to be preparing an online gaming onslaught, networking is going to be an essential element of gaming in the future.

Unfortunately it seems that we'll just have to wait for Nintendo to make the full announcement about the DS's online capabilities. We're optimistic, though - we know the Japanese giant has some surprises up its sleeve for the European DS announcement on Thursday, and details about the innovative handheld's online future would be the perfect way to hammer home its status ahead of a launch on this continent...

We'll be at the press conference on Thursday and we'll bring you all the latest first.

[quote name='arsenalgear']Dude.
Pokemon. Onliine. MMORPG. Need I say more?
If they do it, i'll drop the monthly fee gladly.[/quote]

Nintendo isn't interested in monthly fees. That's one of the main reasons that no Nintendo system is currently online (although they have been in the past i.e. Famicom, SFC, Gameboy and N64).

[quote name='evilmax17']SMASH BROTHERS! GOD DAMN LET IT BE SMASH BROTHERS!

OR ANIMAL CROSSING! GOD DAMN![/quote]

I hope not ... I'd have to find the money to buy a DS. :lol:

/\

Wow I remember reading that thread when it started then it got out of hand and I didnt have time.

My tow posts have some crossover info but other info is new in each post. I think I made them a day or at least a few hours apart.

So no at this point my password "happypuppy" hasnt been used by anyone besides me.

[quote name='Snake2715']So no at this point my password "happypuppy" hasnt been used by anyone besides me.[/quote]

lets hope you aren't as nieve(sp) as it would seem. (leaving your password out in the open)

and cool news about online with the ds

[quote name='craven_fiend'][quote name='Snake2715']So no at this point my password "happypuppy" hasnt been used by anyone besides me.[/quote]

lets hope you aren't as nieve(sp) as it would seem. (leaving your password out in the open)

and cool news about online with the ds[/quote]

:wink:

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']Topic merged.[/quote]

hmmm... Sometimes, when topics merge, an otherwise blatantly obvious reply to the post directly above gets bumped down and things become confusing... Then you get to the end of the thread and see that a mod has merged the two...

I say its Smash Bros. with an Animal Crossing guy and a Mario Kart as fighters. You heard it here first folks.

bread's done
Back