DS or GBA???

whataboutbob?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
got a slight dilemma here....im trying to decide whether or not to get a GBA micro/SP or a ds lite. The main use of the system would be to just play from time to time like when im sitting on the couch (or on the can), and would mainly be used to play the zelda games and other classics that have either been made for the GBA or have been rereleased for it.

Ive got a Wii and that is definitely gonna be my main console so thats why im not sure if i need a DS cause i probably will never use it enough to validate spending the extra ~$80 for the DS. Also, the lower price tag will definitely go over better with my wife who already complains about my money and time spent w/ gaming.

another question....if i just decide on the GBA should i get the micro or the SP? They seem to running about the same price on ebay. Thanks in advance for the input.

---also....does the GBA version of A Link to the Past that has 4 Swords w/ it actually come w/ the full version of 4 swords or is it just to enable the multiplayer for the GC game?

The GBA SP retails for $79 (although better deals can certainly be found, especially on the micro), the DS Lite for $129. Since the DS can play both GBA games and DS games, I think it's worth the extra money. I considered the SP but ultimately chose the DS Lite and I haven't regretted it in the least.

I would get the DS, because the SP has virtually no good games coming out for it anymore, and the future of the DS is very very bright.

If you do decide to get a GBA, get the SP. The micro has been discontinued, and is much smaller and more likely to cramp your hands.

And the Four Swords included with the GBA LttP is an entirely seperate entity from the Gamecube version, so you don't need the GBA version for the Gamecube game at all.

[quote name='Iskander']I would get the DS, because the SP has virtually no good games coming out for it anymore, and the future of the DS is very very bright.

If you do decide to get a GBA, get the SP. The micro has been discontinued, and is much smaller and more likely to cramp your hands.

And the Four Swords included with the GBA LttP is an entirely seperate entity from the Gamecube version, so you don't need the GBA version for the Gamecube game at all.[/quote]

so it actually comes w/ 2 complete games: A link to the Past and 4 Swords?

I, too, am on a 'wife' gaming budget. The GBA is a good system, and can keep you going for many many hours. Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG, Ultimate Card Games, ect ect. Even tho a DS is a much more capable system, you can get into a GBA for considerably less. The games are also much less.

Go with a GBA SP.

Go with the ds.The new Zelda game is coming plus you can play online games like mario kart and metroid prime hunters.

I was not a big fan of the GBA, mainly I prefeered PS2 games, however...

IMHO, the DS is the best game platform available today. The DS touch screen, wireless ability and on-line capablity separates it far above all others.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']so it actually comes w/ 2 complete games: A link to the Past and 4 Swords?[/quote]

Yeah, though I don't know how much use you'll get out of four swords unless you have friends that still play it.

The extra $50 and loss of multiplayer is well worth the price of the DS library (does a Micro even have a multiplayer port?). Anywho, a Lite is your best option. Tons of great games and all of the GBA games too.

DS. As many have said, the benefits of GBA (minus multiplayer) plus DS stuff (with ONLINE multiplayer, if multiplayer is your bag), all for just a bit more.

Even though the GBA has a great library, I'd definately spend the extra money for a DS. The DS has a ton of excellent games. Even if you mainly play GBA games, you'll want some DS games too. Better screen. It is well worth it.

GBA Doesn't Have Ouendan or EBA so i would go with DS FTW, if you are that worrid about price just search on craigslist and get a DS Phat for around the price of a new SP, If you aren't playing alot on it you don't need the Lite.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']im not sure if i need a DS cause i probably will never use it enough to validate spending the extra ~$80 for the DS.[/quote]

You only think that now. Trust me.

hah! well i guess the vote is pretty overwhelming! i guess if i can find one anywhere around the jackson, ms area i'll snag it. ive been looking though since christmas and have had no luck.

so are there that many good classic type games for the DS? if so, gimme a few examples please

when you buy a DSlite, as a bonus, it comes with a free gba built right inside it. So if you can only get one system, why not get both? ;)

[quote name='Puffa469']when you buy a DSlite, as a bonus, it comes with a free gba built right inside it. So if you can only get one system, why not get both? ;)[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. You can't play GB or GBC games, which was more than enough reason for me to keep my GBA SP.

You might as well just buy an SP right now. You'll break down and get a DS Lite soon enough, and that way you'll be able to play all the Zelda handhelds--the GBC versions are just as good as Minish Cap.

The DS Lite is incredible, and well worth the $50. The only downside of the DSL I can see for you is that you wouldn't be able to play Link's Awakening DX & Oracle of Ages/Seasons. But you can still play LTTP, Minish Cap, and the DSL has the forthcoming Phantom Hourglass.

As for game recommendations: consider the GBA and DS Castlevania games. They are exceptional.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']got a slight dilemma here....im trying to decide whether or not to get a GBA micro/SP or a ds lite. The main use of the system would be to just play from time to time like when im sitting on the couch (or on the can), and would mainly be used to play the zelda games and other classics that have either been made for the GBA or have been rereleased for it. [/QUOTE]

Just go with a SP.

The backcatalog is massive and it's insanely cheap right now (got mine for 40 with 4 games)

Unless you want to play GB or GBC games get a DS Lite since it plays GBA games and DS games thus you have more great games to chose from.

[quote name='62t']the ds lite is horrible to carry around playing gba games.[/quote]

The SP isn't so hot to carry around, either. And the Micro is just too small a screen.

Go with the Lite. I find it's easier to carry than an SP because it's slimmer. It fits nicely in front or rear pockets. My wife has had a SP for a couple of years to play her puzzle games. I picked her up a phat DS and she protested saying she was happy with the GBA games. After a day she was stoked to play Meteos and Cooking Mama. Options are nice.

RC

bread's done
Back