DS or PSP?

confoosious

CAGiversary!
Feedback
79 (99%)
Well folks, I've never ventured over here before, hope I'm in the right place.

Anyway, after spending a few months in the Video Game Deals forum, I find myself with WAYYYYY too much credit at Blockbuster and Gamestop and nothing to buy. I basically have every game I want.

Anyway... was thinking about buying a Nintendo DS or a PSP. I'm partial to the DS because i'm not much of a hardcore gamer (I mostly do sports games and not FPS) and I do dig those puzzle games. One of my favorite games in the past year was Puzzle Quest on the 360.

Any thoughts on which I should get? If you had enough credit for, say, 5 games, which 5 DS or PSP games would you get?

Sports games will be much better on the PSP. I prefer the DS myself, as I like the puzzle games and 2d games available.

If I was going to get 5 DS games I'd probably get:

New Super Mario Bros
Castlevania (either Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of Ruin)
Planet Puzzle League (or meteos--or puzzle quest)
Mario Kart DS
Kirby's Canvas Curse

If you mostly play sports games, yes, go with PSP. It's satisfying to play Madden/NCAA Football on the go. Also, the MLB The Show series is probably the best baseball game around now, and it's quite addicting when playing Road To The Show.

There are some good puzzle games on PSPs as well (Lumines, Exit, Puzzle Quest, etc.) I prefer Puzzle Quest on PSP over DS just because it looks better and sharper. However, there is a glitch where your henchmen doesn't affect the game play at all, which is quite annoying since I'm not good at the game).

I own both handhelds, and don't have a preference for one another. They both have their good and bad points.

Are there 5 PSP games worth playing? I kid, I kid. ;)
sorta... :whistle2:/

5 Great DS games:
New Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Mario Kart DS
Tetris DS
Meteos

Top 5 PSP games:
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man X Maverick Hunter
Loco Roco
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles
Lumines...? (I never got the attraction to this game, but a lot of people seem to like it)

thanks for the replies guys.

While i mostly play sports games on consoles, I'm not sure how I'd feel about them on a PSP. Plus there's the price difference.

There's a ton of clearance PSP games at target so I feel like I'm missing out on spending some money. :)

More great DS games:

1) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
2) Bleach: The Blade of Fate (seriously, this game is actually really good)
3) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (get the others, too, but start with this)
4) The World Ends With You
5) Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

The only PSP games I'd even consider playing are Crisis Core and the Metal Gear games.

[quote name='tianxia']More great DS games:

1) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
2) Bleach: The Blade of Fate (seriously, this game is actually really good)
3) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (get the others, too, but start with this)
4) The World Ends With You
5) Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

The only PSP games I'd even consider playing are Crisis Core and the Metal Gear games.[/quote]

God of War? Jeanne D'Arc? Valkyrie Profile Lenneth? Disgaea? Capcom Puzzle World? All of them are top notch titles on the PSP.

I've had both, and I enjoy the PSP a lot more than I ever did my DS.

I really can't decide for you as both systems have great games.

Take a look into the highest rated games in genres you like and go from there.

As for what I like, this is my handheld game collection:
DS
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Contra 4
Front Mission
Lunar Knights
Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time
New Super Mario Bros.
Scurge: Hive
Yoshi's Island DS

PSP
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
Jeanne D'Arc
LocoRoco
Patapon
Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins

Do old units hold their resale value pretty well?

I'm thinking if I buy one of them and I hate it (or more likely never have time to play) can i sell it back on amazon and get a fair return?

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']God of War? Jeanne D'Arc? Valkyrie Profile Lenneth? Disgaea? Capcom Puzzle World? All of them are top notch titles on the PSP.

I've had both, and I enjoy the PSP a lot more than I ever did my DS.[/quote]

I forgot about Lenneth, but other than that, there isn't much. I wouldn't play GoW, and Jeanne D'Arc doesn't really seem that great to me. Disgaea is just a remake of Disgaea 1 for the PS2. And isn't Capcom Puzzle World just a compilation of old games?

Definitely PSP, but don't just pirate games with it. Why PSP? It can do so much more: games, movies, internet videos, music, internet, phone calling, GPS, etc. Also, I find its top games more fun than the DS top games. Sony will probably support it longer than Nintendo does DS (Nintendo will move on to a new portable before Sony). Even when both are dead, PSP will still be useful.

Remember with the PSP its region free like the PSP. so you can import titles. such as Bleach,

PSP has a very good roster of RPGs. PSP does give RSS feeds, internet browser, basic PMP features. The PSP also has Puzzle Quest. But if you really want sports games on the go then try the PSP. But check metacritic, and gamerankings, and look at the ratings of PSP games to get an idea of it its what you really want.

Good luck,

[quote name='tianxia']I forgot about Lenneth, but other than that, there isn't much. I wouldn't play GoW, and Jeanne D'Arc doesn't really seem that great to me. Disgaea is just a remake of Disgaea 1 for the PS2. And isn't Capcom Puzzle World just a compilation of old games?[/QUOTE]

oh and isn't air just someone's fart wind recycled again by a tree or two. there's enough variety of games on PSP to make everyone happy.

The DS will soon be getting some better sports games like:

Tecmo Bowl Kickoff and Power Pro Baseball.

If your looking for a more console like experience the PSP will match that more closely.

If I had to pick one though I'd go DS.

Plenty of good Action, Sports, Strategy, RPG, and puzzle games on the PSP. You can even play Phantasy Star 2 - 4 on it, to say nothing of its potential with homebrew. Why do you think it costs more than the DS?

[quote name='jkam']
If your looking for a more console like experience the PSP will match that more closely.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely true.

And another reason why the DS was better for my purposes. I don't want a console like experience on my portable. I use it 99% of the time at home, if I want a console like experience I'm going to go sit in front of my 50" HDTV and play my 360, not sit and look at a tiny screen on a portable.

So I went with the DS for the 2D games and other stuff I can get much of on consoles.

But again, if the OP mainly wants sports games, go with the PSP. Any sports games on the DS will pale in comparison in terms of graphics, sound, lack of analog control etc.

I am not going to try to convincer you one way or the other. Do a little research, see what games you want to play on both consoles, and make your decision based on that.

I have both and enjoy both. The DS is better for puzzle games, and using a stylus is pretty cool for some games.

I also like a lot of the games on the PSP because of its great graphics, analog stick and compared side to side, you will like it a lot better.

I would get a PSP, not based on games, quite frankly both devices are mature enough to find something you like with each, but I choose the PSP because its a media player as well. Sometimes I don't want to actually play anything, just watch a movie and the PSP wins that battle.

I really don't understand the folks who dump on the PSP for "being like a console system and I can sit in front of my huge LCD and play if thats what I want"

Isn't the point of a PORTABLE system not to sit at home and play it but have it on you for a long ride on a train or a bus. Or to kill time while waiting at the doctor's office or the DMV?

The PSP has a shit load of over looked puzzle games and 2D platformers, I'd do some research into those. Reading threads like this makes me wonder if half the people here have even played an actual PSP, many have no knowledge about any of the games on it.

A couple of years ago I'd have said the DS, but these days I rarely use it and use my PSP way more.

It really depends on what you're looking for, the DS really has it's own style and what it does it does very well. Puzzle games and Nintendo's first party stuff is particularly good on DS.

The thing about the PSP I like is it feels more like a handheld console, racing games work well on the PSP (I don't think I've played a decent racing game on the DS that wasn't Mario Kart) you get games like GOW, Silent Hill, Afterburner, Crisis Core etc etc on the PSP and they all look fantastic.

The new slim PSP is great and the quality of the screen is fantastic.

You may want to consider the PSP/PS3 and DS/Wii connectability as well, if you have one of them already that might be something to think about.

I'm not going to make any long comparison.

I'll say right now, I definitely prefer PSP; however, it's upcoming lineup is pretty weak due to pathetic game sales (mostly due to very high piracy). However, due to its sales increasing in Japan, it's being heavily discussed PSP will be getting many new games in the future, but it will not be for a while (like in 2009). I have a list of the great games on it IMO.

But I will admit, DS definitely has the edge in future game lineups, and it's looking very good. The DS especially looks to be THE platform for RPGs, and if you like them, do not hesitate in buying one.

Basically, I'll just say, if you want a console experience on the go, PSP is the better option. If you want something different and refreshing (or a flood of RPGs coming), get a DS. I enjoy both, but that's how I feel.

[quote name='Thomas96']Remember with the PSP its region free like the PSP. so you can import titles.[/quote]

The ds is region free also......

But as stated above OP, it's really best (and smarter) to do some research yourself. Look at what both have to offer and see what more fits your needs between the two. That's really the best decision you can make.

[quote name='TimPV3']The PSP has a shit load of over looked puzzle games and 2D platformers, I'd do some research into those. Reading threads like this makes me wonder if half the people here have even played an actual PSP, many have no knowledge about any of the games on it.[/QUOTE]

To clarify, it does. Just not as many or as good of ones IMO. I borrow my brothers PSP from time to time to play through a game that interests.

It's a good system, it's just not for me as I don't really want a console experience on a portable since I just play it home where I could be playing my 360. I want something different, and the DS offers more of that.

But they're both excellent portable systems. Just depends on what type of gaming you want from your portable.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
But they're both excellent portable systems. Just depends on what type of gaming you want from your portable.[/quote]

Truth.
You can't really go wrong with either, just decide what games you're looking for.

it's just amazing how far ahead psp technology is. the psp can do things that the ds isn't even capable of.. people just haven't caught up to it yet.

Got both and PSP by far, i've really enjoyed a lot of the imports along with the regular NA releases. Ds is alright sometimes i'm just not feeling the control scheme on the games though.

[quote name='traininvain']it's just amazing how far ahead psp technology is. the psp can do things that the ds isn't even capable of.. people just haven't caught up to it yet.[/QUOTE]

Lol!

[quote name='traininvain']it's just amazing how far ahead psp technology is. the psp can do things that the ds isn't even capable of.. people just haven't caught up to it yet.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's more that a lot of people just don't care and just want a portable game machine soley for gaming.

If someone wants a multi-media machine, web browser, homebrew and all that jazz, then the PSP is clearly vastly the better choice for them.

And I think people have "caught up" to that. Some don't care. All I want out of my portable is some 2D games, puzzle games and other simple games that I can play for 15-30 minutes at night before going to sleep, in a waiting room etc. as that's how I use my portable. I travel a decent amount, but I usually prefer to catch up on work on flights vs. gaming. Or just catch up on some reading.

So the DS is the better choice for me based on games that fit that bill and interest me on both systems.

[quote name='traininvain']the psp can do things that the ds isn't even capable of.[/QUOTE]

And vice versa ... so ... what's your point?

PSP. For all the hate it gets, I have twice as many PSP to DS games. I've never, ever been as dissapointed in a console/handheld as I have been with the DS.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']PSP. For all the hate it gets, I have twice as many PSP to DS games. I've never, ever been as dissapointed in a console/handheld as I have been with the DS.[/quote]

Agreed.

Got a ds day of release, bought all launch games, played mario 64 for 2 minutes gave it to my brother, got psp for my birthday play it non stop on the road and in school, got a ds lite recently, traded it two weeks later, i may just get a gb micro and some decent games.

I have both.

And DS wins by so much more.

I think the psp's novelty wears off a bit too easily. At first it seems really cool to play pint sized versions of ps2 games, but as time passes you just realize as a whole psp games are only watered down home console games.

The DS on the other hand has great games you simply can't get on the other systems, sometimes due to the touchscreen. It also has a lot of great unique 2D games that can't be found on any other system. You can only play Phoenix Wright on the DS, Kirby Canvas Curse on the DS, and then some.

With the psp, you can play better versions of the games on the home consoles for the most part. Hell, it seems there's a new psp game ported to the ps2 each day....

[quote name='leveskikesko']I have both.

And DS wins by so much more.

I think the psp's novelty wears off a bit too easily. At first it seems really cool to play pint sized versions of ps2 games, but as time passes you just realize as a whole psp games are only watered down home console games.

With the psp, you can play better versions of the games on the home consoles for the most part. Hell, it seems there's a new psp game ported to the ps2 each day....[/quote]

Wow, have you ever owned a PSP before? Doesn't sound like it. Would you like to list all the PSP games that have been ported to the PS2 besides the GTA series and a couple of others? I must be missing something if there's been PSP to PS2 port every day. :roll:

I've owned both and ended up selling my DS after about a year. The whole stylus novelty wears off easily - kinda like the Wii.

[quote name='Setzer']Wow, have you ever owned a PSP before? Doesn't sound like it. Would you like to list all the PSP games that have been ported to the PS2 besides the GTA series and a couple of others? I must be missing something if there's been PSP to PS2 port every day. :roll:

I've owned both and ended up selling my DS after about a year. The whole stylus novelty wears off easily - kinda like the Wii.[/quote]

Actually I do. And I enjoy it from time to time, I do, but I'm mostly using my DS for my handheld gaming.

I don't need to list all the ported games. The fact of the matter is that a lot of PSP games are nothing more then experiences that you can get on the home consoles. That's great, but I'd personally like more than the same old.

Phoenix Wright. This game could be done on the homeconsoles, but it hasn't been done yet. Further more giving the DS more value than the PSP gamewise.

Kirby Canvas Curse. That game simply can't be done on any other console, and its truly a great use of the touchscreen. I will admit the touchscreen isn't used enough by developers, but that doesn't change the fact that the DS has a lot of quality to it.

The World Ends With You. Another game that can only be done on the DS. The touch controls are a joy to use.

The DS has a healthy collection of other really unique games you don't see anywhere else. And it's guilty of doing watered down versions of console games itself like M64DS, but it has other stuff to back it up too.

I find it really ironic that so called gamers use innovation as an excuse to call a console and all it has to offer a gimmick. Why not actually check out the games for what their worth?

[quote name='tianxia']I forgot about Lenneth, but other than that, there isn't much. I wouldn't play GoW, and Jeanne D'Arc doesn't really seem that great to me. Disgaea is just a remake of Disgaea 1 for the PS2. And isn't Capcom Puzzle World just a compilation of old games?[/quote]

Capcom Puzzle World is worth it for Puzzle Fighter, Disgaea is good for people who don't want to pay out the ass for it on the PS2, Jeanne D'Arc is actually a very good game, and you're missing out on a great game in Chains of Olympus. There's also Daxter, The new Clank game, Syphon Filter, and also the amazing homebrew that you can do.

[quote name='leveskikesko']The fact of the matter is that a lot of PSP games are nothing more then experiences that you can get on the home consoles. That's great, but I'd personally like more than the same old.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, like I said that's the reason i don't own one and just borrow my brothers every once in a while when there's a game I want to play.

I don't want a console like experience on my portable since I just use them at home and I might as well just play my consoles on my 50" tv instead of a portable if I'm wanting to play something like God of War.

If you play portables more than I do, or play them outside the home a lot, then I see the appeal.

But for me personally, I have no need for that. I only have a DS to play 2D games, puzzle games etc. I don't need a portable system for portability purposes at all. I just picked one up as it totally offers types of games I can't get on the consoles. The PSP has some neat, quirky games as well--but has many more console style games.

PSP games aren't watered down verions of anything. All the PSP GTAs have custom soundtrakcs, and have the same graphics as their PS2 counterparts. The Syphon Filter series on PSP is superb. Mega man powered up and Mavrick Hunter X. They're both remakes, but they're both very good and very well done on the PSP. PSP have luminies, which to this day is an excellent game. Its probably about 5-10 dollars now. The PSP power is its strenght, and it in the past it was its weakness. Developers were just porting PS2 games to the PSP. But now there's enough PSP specific library. Hell what's wrong with a Portable PS2. As long as the games play well, why make it negative just becuase the PSP can produce graphics along PS2 lines.

I'd agree with that. They're not watered down, they are very damn good console-style games.

I just don't want that type of gaming in my portable--it's not a negative, it's just not what I want. Again I don't need a portable system. I don't like playing games in public, when traveling etc. generally. I pretty much only play at home--so why do I need a tiny little portable to play pretty much the same type of games I could be playing on my consoles on a 50" TV?

Now if someone travels a lot, has one TV and a wife/kids hogging it, uses public transit and games daily etc. etc. the PSP is a kick ass system as I can see the desire for those types of games and all the multimedia functions there.

Point being, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me. I have a DS solely for 2D games, puzzle games and weird random shit I can't get on consoles--it has a lot more of those than the PSP and has been a cheaper console so it was right for my very limited need/interest in portables.

The only real, true problems I have with the PSP are: the controls suck--I hate both the d-pad and especially the nub, and the battery life is kind of sucky (at least on the original model which my brother has--I've not used the Slim).

I think the biggest problem with the PSP is the screen. It's big and bright (especially with custom firmware enabling the 4 brightness levels) but it ghosts like a mad-man. I had hoped they were going to fix that with the slim, but alas. When you play a 2.5D game (where the PSP shines in my estimation) and you've not played it recently, you've really gotta focus on the character you're controlling in the center of the screen because the background just kinda streak past.

I'm sure the DS screens are great for that either, but their smaller size and lower resolution makes it less pronounced. Spinning a camera around in a 3D game on the PS3 almost makes me want to throw up.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd agree with that. They're not watered down, they are very damn good console-style games.

I just don't want that type of gaming in my portable--it's not a negative, it's just not what I want. Again I don't need a portable system. I don't like playing games in public, when traveling etc. generally. I pretty much only play at home--so why do I need a tiny little portable to play pretty much the same type of games I could be playing on my consoles on a 50" TV?

Now if someone travels a lot, has one TV and a wife/kids hogging it, uses public transit and games daily etc. etc. the PSP is a kick ass system as I can see the desire for those types of games and all the multimedia functions there.

Point being, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me. I have a DS solely for 2D games, puzzle games and weird random shit I can't get on consoles--it has a lot more of those than the PSP and has been a cheaper console so it was right for my very limited need/interest in portables.

The only real, true problems I have with the PSP are: the controls suck--I hate both the d-pad and especially the nub, and the battery life is kind of sucky (at least on the original model which my brother has--I've not used the Slim).[/QUOTE]

The PSP needs to be (In my opinion) a PS2 controller with a big, bright and beautiful screen. The PSP as it is today, is basically a dreamcast controller. The PSP has PS2 like graphics, but not a PS2 controller and I think that's what was so frustrating about the PSP overall.
Even if the PSP is touted as a portable PS2, that's not a bad thing... at least if you're going to play PS2 like games, then offer a controller (via PSP) that's comprable.

[quote name='Thomas96']The PSP needs to be (In my opinion) a PS2 controller with a big, bright and beautiful screen. The PSP as it is today, is basically a dreamcast controller. The PSP has PS2 like graphics, but not a PS2 controller and I think that's what was so frustrating about the PSP overall.
Even if the PSP is touted as a portable PS2, that's not a bad thing... at least if you're going to play PS2 like games, then offer a controller (via PSP) that's comprable.[/QUOTE]

This. They need to have dual analog nubs or something, that's about the only annoying thing about it.

[quote name='docvinh']This. They need to have dual analog nubs or something, that's about the only annoying thing about it.[/QUOTE]

I find the placement of the analog nub to be the most annoying thing. I find myself hating games that force me to use the analog nub. Good thing the PSP (at least the slim) has a great d-pad.

Well, i decided to use up some of my credit and bought a DS.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in and giving their opinion. I also picked up Cooking Mama. If there are any other MUST HAVE games, lemme know. I plan on picking up New Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart DS, and Bust a Move whenever GS gets a DS coupon.

[quote name='confoosious']Well folks, I've never ventured over here before, hope I'm in the right place.

Anyway, after spending a few months in the Video Game Deals forum, I find myself with WAYYYYY too much credit at Blockbuster and Gamestop and nothing to buy. I basically have every game I want.

Anyway... was thinking about buying a Nintendo DS or a PSP. I'm partial to the DS because i'm not much of a hardcore gamer (I mostly do sports games and not FPS) and I do dig those puzzle games. One of my favorite games in the past year was Puzzle Quest on the 360.

Any thoughts on which I should get? If you had enough credit for, say, 5 games, which 5 DS or PSP games would you get?[/QUOTE]

DS is good if you want to play games

PSP is good if you want to put video you transcoded for it to watch on a train/plane/etc..

PSP does have some games, but imo, the library of worth playing games is much smaller.

bread's done
Back