DS & PSP: Game counts for each system, games on the way, etc...

So?

I could hate all 206 DS games and like only one PSP game, what difference does games that still can be canceled mean?

[quote name='rodeojones903']DS is not doomed by any means. But it is suprising that Sony's list for their first handheld could catch up to nintendos that fast.[/quote]

Not really. Developers have had emulation kits for the PSP for a long time. The spec and the minimal performance was almost final three years ago. Nintendo did a much more rapid development cycle for the DS and a lot of the details weren't nailed down until fairly late in the process, giving developers less time to start projects on a system that present more difficulty in using properly, especially on the conceptual side.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Thanks for the list OP. There are a lot of people on the boards claiming the DS is doomed, this list just proves the opposite.[/quote]

In the US, there are hardly any games out, sure you can make this great big list of upcoming games with no release dates or info..... that doesn't mean jack. Not to mention look at the high volume of third party games, I'm willing to bet that more than half of those games are what IGN calls "GBA plus" games. Those games that are usually based on the newest Disney movie that are made for the GBA, and then ported over to the DS with the absolute most generic touch screen capability.

Then there's many other reasons people will say the DS will fail that have nothing to do with the games. The whole fact that many people see having two screens as total gimmick with no real depth or gaming value to it. Some people think the DS is poorly made with low brightness on the backlit screens, and the fact that the screens are hardly an improvment in size from the GBA screens. The lack of GB/GBC support, and the lack of GBA multi-player support turned some GBA fans away.

Point being, a shitty early game list, means nothing. Not to mention it's far from the only problem the DS has, and why people say it's "doomed."

[quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='scdoanintendo']Thanks for the list OP. There are a lot of people on the boards claiming the DS is doomed, this list just proves the opposite.[/quote]

In the US, there are hardly any games out, sure you can make this great big list of upcoming games with no release dates or info..... that doesn't mean jack. Not to mention look at the high volume of third party games, I'm willing to bet that more than half of those games are what IGN calls "GBA plus" games. Those games that are usually based on the newest Disney movie that are made for the GBA, and then ported over to the DS with the absolute most generic touch screen capability.

Then there's many other reasons people will say the DS will fail that have nothing to do with the games. The whole fact that many people see having two screens as total gimmick with no real depth or gaming value to it. Some people think the DS is poorly made with low brightness on the backlit screens, and the fact that the screens are hardly an improvment in size from the GBA screens. The lack of GB/GBC support, and the lack of GBA multi-player support turned some GBA fans away.

Point being, a shitty early game list, means nothing. Not to mention it's far from the only problem the DS has, and why people say it's "doomed."[/quote]

Why can't their just be two viable portable platforms targeting different types of gamers? Obviously the DS isn't for you... and thats fine. That in no way means that the DS is doomed or that other people aren't enjoying it right now.

I know its hard to think outside of your own experience, but I know plenty of casual gamers (oddly enough mostly girls) either own a DS or are getting one soon. Just because some CAGs think that the DS sucks... doesn't mean that its doomed at all, all the points you listed above are subjectively negative. I think what people fail to realize is that the DS has already established itself as a viable platform because of its worldwide sales and its ease of development. The DS may be "doomed" in your house Chris... buts its not doomed in the rest of the world.

You should also click the link and look at the damn games. A lot of them are surprisingly mature titles... and as far as I skimmed... there weren't many "GBA plus" games that you speak of.

If the new Gameboy really is coming out this year like so many rumors suggest, then I truly think the DS will be history once the new Gameboy comes out.

bread's done
Back