DS Question/Advise please.

simpsonps121

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Just a question. FYE has the DS, but they say you have to buy 2 games with it. Is that legit? Should I just wait to buy it? Also, which 2 games should I buy?
Thanks,
Matthew

I called twice today, and they said the only way they could sell you the system, is if you bought 2 games with it. This is not a pre-bundled set. This is a choose any 2 and buy it deal. Oh, forgot that they give you a $10 rebate....

Hmm... Maybe I can talk to a manager tomorrow...

Matthew

The employee you're dealing with a dumbass. Go down there and you'll get a DS alone if that's what you want.

I tried today. They would not let me buy one. After an hour of fussing and calling various people, I just gave up. (FYE Customer Service wants you to leave a message, and supposedly I talked to the regional manager....)

GRRR BBB and Nintendo each got a call also. Nintendo was VERY interested in this practice.

I doubt anything will come of it, but I would love Nintendo to question FYE a bit.

Matthew

I'm no lawyer, but this definately sounds illegal. I'd be interested to see what comes from your reports.

Also as a side note perhaps you could just buy the system with the 2 games and just return the games? That way you end up only paying for the system. You might want to ask for everything on separate reciepts, say they are all gifts for different people or something.

[quote name='jimbodan']I'm no lawyer, but this definately sounds illegal. I'd be interested to see what comes from your reports.

Also as a side note perhaps you could just buy the system with the 2 games and just return the games? That way you end up only paying for the system. You might want to ask for everything on separate reciepts, say they are all gifts for different people or something.[/quote]

Yeah I'm curious to see what Nintendo will say about this.

The lady from Nintendo was very helpful. She said it is legal, but that the admin's would love to hear about this. She took FYE's name, Phone #, address, the manager I talked to, the corporate guy I talked to, what time I talked to them, what the phone numbers I was given were, and what time Nintendo could reach those people.

The most telling question was when she restated my complaint.
"So, they would not let you buy the DS without 2 games? Right?"
Me: Yes, you are correct.
Lady: So let me get this right, there is no way that they would have sold you a DS without 2 other games.
Me: Yes, you are correct.

We will see. But I doubt I will ever hear anything about it. :)

Matthew

This happened to me at EB when the GBA first launched. It really pissed me off because outside of Castlevania I had no interest in any games. I ended up getting Mario 2 even though I already had it for the NES. It's an unfair practice.

This has been practiced by mant chains but it never turns out well. I was working at Gamestop when they tried this with the GBA, but I still sold them to customers who simply wanted the system.

THey'll probably wait untill they get a certain number of complaints. Untill this appens it's just a cosumer annoyance but when they see it start to cut into their profits THAT's when they'l put a boot in their ass over it... 50,000 complaints should just about do it.

[quote name='Alpha2']THey'll probably wait untill they get a certain number of complaints. Untill this appens it's just a cosumer annoyance but when they see it start to cut into their profits THAT's when they'l put a boot in their ass over it... 50,000 complaints should just about do it.[/quote]

You made me laugh. Good job. :)
Matthew

i wouldn't think it is illegal unless they made you buy certain games (think microsoft forcing IE on everybody)

however nintendo should be livid, that is a very dangerous way to handle an important relationship

It's not illegal. They can sell whatever they want - well OK probably not drugs... or sex... or beer... stupid laws - it's your choice whether to buy it on their terms or not.

[quote name='simpsonps121'][quote name='Alpha2']They'll probably wait untill they get a certain number of complaints. Untill this happens it's just a cosumer annoyance, but when they see it start to cut into their profits THAT's when they'll put a boot in their ass over it... 50,000 complaints should just about do it.[/quote]

You made me laugh. Good job. :)
Matthew[/quote]

Not my intention of course, just a hypothesis. If enough people call nintendo saying "such and such kept me from buying your system because of X" they'll feel like they're loosing money. Each complaint will seem like a lost sale. An unprofitable store isn't likely to get any special deals or incentives in the future.

There's also the possbility that some stores where forced to order certain games in order to secure their DS shipment, similar to the Xbox launch where many stores tried hard to push combo sets because they had to get all these games to get systems, and in order to move all these games they require you to buy them.

bread's done
Back