DS questions

Cap'n_RDM

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I finally got the ok from the wife to get each of my boys (8 & 6) a DS this christmas. I'm hoping my fellow CAGs here can answer my questions.

1. DS lite vs. DSi vs. DSiXL: I've pretty much decided on the DSi at this point (although I was tempted to go with the lite for the GBA port) & I know the basic differences between the three units but have some questions regarding the screens/graphics. Which one looks the best? I've heard the larger DSiXL screens make the games actually a bit worse ("blockier"). Is this also true when comparing the DS lite vs DSi? Also I would appreciate any personal experiences/opinions between the three units.

2. Accessories - Screen protectors, DS cases, game cases, etc.: There seem to be a million cases and whatnot...what are the best of the best? Is there a particular bundle where I can purchase the best screen protectors, cases, etc together?

3. Bootlegs: If I want to purchase games from e-bay or via other means, how do I recognize a bootleg? Am I safe going with "new/sealed" games?

4. DSi Mario bundle (not the Mario & Luigi bundle): Are these still available anywhere for close to retail? I've done some searching online and haven't had any luck.

Thanks in advance for all the responses...even the inevitable smarta$$ ones.:D

1. I say go with DSi. You can buy DSi Ware mini games and you get the cameras.
If you want the DS slot to play GBA games ou could alwaysx buy one of each DS Lite/DSi. That is if yours boys don't mind sharing.
There are some really good GBA games, specially if you wanna get your boys Pokemon games.

2.Screen protectors I think are a most with extra stylii. Im 24 and seem to lose mine alot. If you get Stylii that have characters on them I find they are less likely to lose. DS cases are good if you travel a lot and just wanna keep the stuff all in one place. I suggest if the are you to get rubber skins for the outside. Check stores for accessory kits that come with extra stuff and cases.
If you want them cheap check your local stores, K-Mart, Wal-Mart Target and whatnots clearance sections. You can find the stuff cheap that way. Try local pawn shops too.

3. Bootlegs are tricky. New/Sealed you most likel will never get a bootleg.
Used is where you have the problems. Ill ask my friend to post something to help you out.
If you buy used before yo buy find out what their return policy is. That wa if you find you have a bootleg you can return it for a refund or new game. Be careful with used stuff or online. Sometimes if the deal is too good to be true is bootlegs. Most of the time.

4. Mario bundle. Try shopping around some more. Check your local stores as they may still have some that haven't sold. K-Mart might have some. They seem to have weird array of old and new stuff.
Heres a link to a few:
Amazon:
Kits:
Good luck and hope it helps

3. Unfortunately, buying New/Sealed when purchasing on eBay, might even give a bigger risk that the game is most likely bootleg.

When purchasing DS games, avoid descriptions that state the following,

"Only for DS/DSLite" "Works for DS/DSLite only" "Will not work for DSi" "Not compatible with DSi"

Or anything along those lines. Bootleg DS games will not work for the DSi, so if they state does not work for DSi, or if it doesn't state if it does or not, make sure to ask the seller ahead of time to make sure.

Any seller that sells outside of China for DS/GBA games, they are always, 100%, going to be a bootleg copy, regardless of what they say.

Steer clear of games that are in the clear DS cases and have the ESRB rating on them. Only DS games that come in clear cases are UK regioned games, however the UK does not use the same ESRB rating, so their cover will have a different rating system that looks completely different as well.

As far as Gameboy Advance games are concerned, the easiest way to spot a fake is if you look at the circuit board where it plugs in (so no need to open it up), and see if there is a Nintendo engraved anywhere. If it is not, it is a bootleg. Does not save, is normally an indication as well it's a possible bootleg, but it could also be because the battery is out, so not always. And one of the last things you can do to check it, (not always recommended), is to unscrew the cartridge, and when you open it up, instead of a clean circuit board, there will be a huge ass battery that's been badly saudered on, or it will look like a really tacky (normally yellow) toy battery. And a subtle way to check if the ratings are correct, but that's a toss up.

Anyways, best of luck with your shopping.

bread's done
Back