DS Shortage?

jza1218

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Has anyone heard of a DS lite shortage? I notice that none of the GS in my area have any, and BB doesnt even let you search for in store pick(and both websites have it back ordered).

I was at Target last weekend and whilst there I overheard another customer talking to an employee about how there were no DS'es in stock. The employee said that Nintendo had switched a lot of DS Production to Wii production, in order to try and keep up with high Wii demand. As a result, DS availability is a little lower right now.

This was just overheard from a regular employee, take it as it is..

Ruahrc

[quote name='jza1218']Has anyone heard of a DS lite shortage? I notice that none of the GS in my area have any, and BB doesnt even let you search for in store pick(and both websites have it back ordered).[/quote]
Yes. There's a shortage. Any stores that have them, seem to have the pink left over from Christmas. There's a thread on the Gamestop forums about it and the Escapist has a post here. Normally, you would blame it on people buying them all similar to the Wii shortage, but this appears a bit different. All of my local stores say they haven't received any since before Christmas. That's almost a months time. The DS trackers show a few in stock moments, but nothing significant. I've tried calling random stores around the country and haven't found any. I would say that Nintendo's numbers for January may be extremely low.

EDIT: Just saw Ruahrc's post above. That would explain the situation, but, if true, why did Nintendo pull all Wii ads in December and replace them with DS ads? I don't know. Seems like it would be awful tough to make a switch like that.

I haven't seen any where I work at for like 2 weeks now. I get more questions about DS lites than Wiis. From what I read on our newsletter, it said something like "Nintendo DS Lite (all colors): On Allocation"

[quote name='chex20']I haven't seen any where I work at for like 2 weeks now. I get more questions about DS lites than Wiis. From what I read on our newsletter, it said something like "Nintendo DS Lite (all colors): On Allocation"[/quote]

Yeah. In my search for a DS for my son, I've stumble upon Wii's a couple times.

[quote name='Cindaddy']Yeah. In my search for a DS for my son, I've stumble upon Wii's a couple times.[/QUOTE]

Well now there's a switch. At this point, I may just have to settle for pink, if its all I can find.

[quote name='jza1218']Well now there's a switch. At this point, I may just have to settle for pink, if its all I can find.[/quote]

I would love to do that as well, but my son would feel otherwise. :lol:

The kmart across the street from me at work has about 7 or 8 DS's. I can't recall the distribution as I only just noticed in passing and didn't know of a shortage, but they had onyx, white and pink, if I recall correctly. This was as of an hour ago or so. Possibly only one white. In any case one of the colors (at least) was only of quantity one. One of the colors they had 4 or 5 of, but I don't know which color it was.

It wouldn't surprise me, honestly. There was a shortage around Christmas '06. I bought my DS Lite in early December (last one at Gamestop), was trying to find one for a friend at the same time, and couldn't get one for him until February.

[quote name='crunchewy']The kmart across the street from me at work has about 7 or 8 DS's. I can't recall the distribution as I only just noticed in passing and didn't know of a shortage, but they had onyx, white and pink, if I recall correctly. This was as of an hour ago or so. Possibly only one white. In any case one of the colors (at least) was only of quantity one. One of the colors they had 4 or 5 of, but I don't know which color it was.[/quote]
I want to thank cruchewy. I had completely forgotten about Kmart. I checked all of the Walmart, BB, CC, GameCrazy, Target and Gamestop stores in the area and found nothing. I started calling Kmarts after reading that post and low and behold there was one lone store that had 4 black DS systems. Just picked one up. Good Luck to those still looking.

My friend finally decided on Christmas that he wants a DS and he hasn't been able to find them at all at Toys R Us. He really wants the black and red one (Can't blame him), but can't even find the normal onyx one either.

I work at Target and we got 60 Black DS Lites in 2 days ago. When I left this afternoon there were less than 20 left...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I work at Target and we got 60 Black DS Lites in 2 days ago. When I left this afternoon there were less than 20 left...[/quote]

It appears that shipments are starting to arrive. I saw 2 additional black DS Lites at Walmart tonight.

I actually have always seen DS Lites in stock no matter where I went. Usually pink and the crimson black versions. I really don't see many white or blacks, though.. :whistle2:k

[quote name='lokizz']maybe those rumors of a new ds model coming out arent too far off?[/QUOTE]
Given that the DS is selling well enough to have shortages, there's close to zero financial incentive for Nintendo to roll out a new model right now.

that's not good..

i need to replace mine from best buy by march to take advantage of the warranty plan I bought with my DS

It's not that there's a shortage, it's just that they're selling so fuckin' fast.

I had a shipment come in of 6 black lites, 2 crimsons and 8 pinks.. all but one pink were gone within 2 hours.. it's insane.

still none in my area which is rare .. normally we're literally swamped with these things. Not only that but the walmarts in my area look like the DS / Wii games were all ransacked leaving only crap behind.

And can someone tell me why BB has not had Tiger Woods 08 for the wii in a months time now?!? Seriously, 4 BB ... no Woods every week

[quote name='Scorch']It's not that there's a shortage, it's just that they're selling so fuckin' fast.

I had a shipment come in of 6 black lites, 2 crimsons and 8 pinks.. all but one pink were gone within 2 hours.. it's insane.[/quote]
That is true, but in my area the stores are claiming they haven't received any shipments since Christmas. Until yesterday, that is.

[quote name='lilboo']I actually have always seen DS Lites in stock no matter where I went. Usually pink and the crimson black versions. I really don't see many white or blacks, though.. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Lucky you. I have GS and BB credit, and was thinking about using it towards one, but its become impossible to find there. I may bite the bullet and buy it somewhere else.

Exact same situation as last year...my girlfriend and I got a DS for each other for Valentine's (laugh all you want..it is funny) but we seriously hunted for 3 weeks hard. Got her pink one within about a week and Finally found a shipment of 5 black DS's at a Target an hour and a half away.

For those looking, Targets online inventory checker helped like no other, and you can call and if you get the right person, they'll hold one for you.

From what I understand, and what I noticed this year, retailers were flooded before Christmas, but after the season dies down, it takes about 2 months to restock from across the Pacific pond. Best you can hope for are these small intermittent shipments coming from company warehouses.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']

For those looking, Targets online inventory checker helped like no other, and you can call and if you get the right person, they'll hold one for you.

From what I understand, and what I noticed this year, retailers were flooded before Christmas, but after the season dies down, it takes about 2 months to restock from across the Pacific pond. Best you can hope for are these small intermittent shipments coming from company warehouses.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I used the Target inventory checker just now, and it showed in stock at the nearby store. But I went over and they had nothing.

Maybe you missed the second part of that sentence, where I said you can call.

Obviously, website inventories are not going to be 100% up to date. You ought to ask an employee to check their PDA to see if they had any additional stock in the back.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Maybe you missed the second part of that sentence, where I said you can call.

Obviously, website inventories are not going to be 100% up to date. You ought to ask an employee to check their PDA to see if they had any additional stock in the back.[/QUOTE]

I called before I went over, just to check. Its 5 minutes walking from my job anyway.

JZA, thats f-d up. If you called and used the inventory checker and they still didn't have any, then it sounds like some employees hoarding (ebay prices are up) or you missed it by a minute. That sucks, sorry.

I noticed on Gamestop's website that the price of a used one went up to 119. Also, I did track down a used black for 119, or a new pink one for 129. Not sure if I am man enough for a pink one. :)

[quote name='jza1218']Has anyone heard of a DS lite shortage? I notice that none of the GS in my area have any, and BB doesnt even let you search for in store pick(and both websites have it back ordered).[/quote]
my BB has like 20 in various colors (2 or 3)

Of course there is a new model coming out soon. Nintendo's gameboy advance sp with the frontlight still pisses me off. I am very upset that that is what I bought. The first gameboy advance with no light was just pathetic.
They could milk a 90 year old tit for a gallon.

Been looking for one for myself for almost a month now. When I have asked at stores, I've gotten responses like above "Haven't received any since Christmas." At one Gamestop near the house, I was told last night that they finally have Wiis in stock, but haven't had a DS in 3 weeks and no word on when they will get more. I considered buying the Wii to ebay so I could afford a DS off ebay, but didn't do it.

Oddly, the employee told me that if people stopped buying Wiis to ebay like I was considering, everyone who wanted one could get one and the shortage would have already cleared up...

RagManX

[quote name='jza1218']I wound up buying a pink one. I'm gonna add a racing stripe and cool flames to it, to make it manly :)[/quote]

you could always buy a new case for it. they dont seem like they cost that much.

[quote name='jza1218']I wound up buying a pink one. I'm gonna add a racing stripe and cool flames to it, to make it manly :)[/quote]

Change it into a kirby DS. Add a couple large/cute eyes, a mouth, and some rosy cheeks. BAM! Exlcusive.

bread's done
Back