DS size - too big?

sandwiches99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm thinking about getting a Nintendo handheld

DS is tempting but it looks like its too damn big to really be portable. DS owners care to give their thoughts?

I had the same problem a few days ago. I bought a SP two days ago and took it back to the store yesterday. Today I picked up a DS and couldn't be happier. It isn't very portable compaired to a SP or Micro, but it is the best bang for your buck.

Have no fear, get the DS!

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, its definitely the best bang for the buck in my opinion too. Im not too good with portables though. I didn't like the standard iPod because I thought it was too big to really be usable (I like the microdrive mp3 players like the Rio Carbon much better). But a gaming unit is a little different, so its hard to tell without test driving one for a little while. So I'm still split on the DS/SP/Micro

[quote name='sandwiches99']I didn't like the standard iPod because I thought it was too big to really be usable...[/QUOTE]

How small do you need it to be? You must have really small pockets.

DS Fits in my pockets, except in my jeans.

Besides I just carry it around in its case anyway. Not an urban dweller here. I play mine at work and occasionally at school.

I oringinally thought it was large prior to purchasing it. Then, I realized it fit in my back pocket when closed and it wasn't really that large when open either. However...if you think the ipod was large then yes, the DS will be large in relation to how you might see it.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']How small do you need it to be? You must have really small pockets.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I just have an intense hatred for carrying stuff around.

The way I see it, the size depends on what the device provides and how I use it. For example, the standard iPod in the end just plays music. There aren't 20 gigs of songs I enjoy listening to, so all that extra heft is effectively wasted. So for a device you actually have to carry on you, an iPod is too big. On the other hand, I remember having a Gameboy Color back in the day and not giving a second thought to its size. I used to just throw it in my backpack.

I was really excited about the Micro when I first saw it, but a $100 price tag puts it in DS territory.

The DS is kind of clunky I have to agree. Plus it feels kind of 'cheap'. IMO a lot of that has to do with the added GBA functionality. If there wasn't a huge GBA port in the front and the associated internal hardware, the system could be smaller. Of course that was a necessary evil, since having GBA support was a big deal in getting the DS off the ground when it launched.

I think a future gen slightly smaller DS made with higher quality materials (read: not cheap plastic) without GBA game support that retails 130-150 will be a good seller. Better than the Micro (which I personally think will be modestly successful).

Honestly I was glad the DS was a bit bigger. I played my buddies SP an my hands were just to big to use it really, I had problems with the shoulder buttons. The DS fits in my cargo pockets without problems, and I really dont even notice its there. Plus you gotta remember with the DS's price tag isn't THAT fair away from the SP's and you are getting the dual setup being able to play both platforms (GBA and DS games) which in the end will be better because the DS's life span is going to be longer than the GBA at this point, so its the better investment.

Well if they follow the Gameboy trend, Nintendo will remake the DS and smaller...which I will buy as well...as I bought all the other incarnations of the Gameboy. Woohoo, go Nintendo...make me spend more money...again. Anyone want to spend $120 more dollars? Yes please! :drool:

[quote name='Masterkyo']Thought! Nintendo is working on NEWEST DS version :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed!

its big, i dont put it in my pockets, not because it wont fit, because it wont with my keys, wallet, and cell phone, but it goes really nice in my backpack (which i take with me if im going anywhere for a long time) and as for the size, it fits really nicely in my big american hands

The DS isn't that big. The only major problem is that the buttons are too small and close together, but it's worth it to buy one.

[quote name='sandwiches99']Haha, I just have an intense hatred for carrying stuff around.

The way I see it, the size depends on what the device provides and how I use it. For example, the standard iPod in the end just plays music. There aren't 20 gigs of songs I enjoy listening to, so all that extra heft is effectively wasted. So for a device you actually have to carry on you, an iPod is too big. On the other hand, I remember having a Gameboy Color back in the day and not giving a second thought to its size. I used to just throw it in my backpack.

I was really excited about the Micro when I first saw it, but a $100 price tag puts it in DS territory.[/QUOTE]

Slightly off topic, you should get an iPod nano. They're *wonderful.*

bread's done
Back