DS vs. PSP: Which one does IGN say is better?

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://gear.ign.com/articles/599/599454p1.html

Check out the link to see their specific reasons as to why each system one each category.

Processing Power--->PSP
Screen(s)--->Tie
Battery Life--->DS
Controls--->PSP
Load Times--->DS
Portability--->DS
Media--->PSP
Wireless--->Tie

Final Word
If you add up the tallies, it comes out to Nintendo DS: 3, PSP: 3, Tie: 2, or an overall tie. But that doesn't really tell the whole story. If you look at the category winners, the PSP takes the system power, control and media categories while the Nintendo DS takes battery life, portability and load times.

So in theory, the Nintendo DS is a better portable system but the PSP is the better all-around system. This seems like a fair enough assessment and the final word we'll stick with.
--------------------------------
What do you think about how this ended up? Are they right?

I think it's pretty much right. Having a tie shows that neither one is clearly better and that they have their own advantages that appeal to different people for different reasons.

Well... the DS wants to think its hot stuff being the first portable with decent 3d capabilities... but its running 10 year old games. The PSP is visually on par with the PS2. If you look closely, you can see a lacking of detail, but with a screen this size, it doesn't matter much. The illusion of quality is there, where as the DS looks blocky... So, as far as I'm concerned, the PSP wins with presentation.

However, since Nintendo is still using cartridges for the DS, small load times a a given, but so are low quality visuals. That is the trade off that has to be made. Speed or beauty.

[quote name='Kayden']Well... the DS wants to think its hot stuff being the first portable with decent 3d capabilities... but its running 10 year old games.[/QUOTE]

haha i hope this is a joke, both systems have their share of older titles (wipeout, twisted metal, and darkstalkers do come to mind ^^)

[quote name='Kayden']Well... the DS wants to think its hot stuff being the first portable with decent 3d capabilities... but its running 10 year old games. The PSP is visually on par with the PS2. If you look closely, you can see a lacking of detail, but with a screen this size, it doesn't matter much. The illusion of quality is there, where as the DS looks blocky... So, as far as I'm concerned, the PSP wins with presentation.

However, since Nintendo is still using cartridges for the DS, small load times a a given, but so are low quality visuals. That is the trade off that has to be made. Speed or beauty.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Nintendo has never ONCE made mention of the DS's graphics. If anything, they're completely trying to downplay graphics, and focus more on gameplay.

Have you not been following gaming news? They're trying to put much less emphasis on graphics in the gaming world today, both with the DS and the Revolution.

[quote name='evilmax17']Actually, Nintendo has never ONCE made mention of the DS's graphics. If anything, they're completely trying to downplay graphics, and focus more on gameplay.

Have you not been following gaming news? They're trying to put much less emphasis on graphics in the gaming world today, both with the DS and the Revolution.[/QUOTE]

Plus we've already seen that Nintendo can be successful using amazing 2d graphics instead of above average 3d ones.

Damn... great article. It may seem like a cop out in the end... but their reasoning for all category results makes sense. Dare I say... good job IGN!

[quote name='Kayden']Well... the DS wants to think its hot stuff being the first portable with decent 3d capabilities... but its running 10 year old games. The PSP is visually on par with the PS2. If you look closely, you can see a lacking of detail, but with a screen this size, it doesn't matter much. The illusion of quality is there, where as the DS looks blocky... So, as far as I'm concerned, the PSP wins with presentation.

However, since Nintendo is still using cartridges for the DS, small load times a a given, but so are low quality visuals. That is the trade off that has to be made. Speed or beauty.[/QUOTE]

Since when is visuals relevent to great games!?

Chris

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Plus we've already seen that Nintendo can be successful using amazing 2d graphics instead of above average 3d ones.[/QUOTE]

Compare the best looking (regardless of perspective) PSP games and DS games and see what you come up with. I'd say the most amazing looking DS game yet is still a launch game. Feel the Magic is a simply stylish game that looks great. Obviously I wouldn't compare it to the PSP... but making great graphics on the DS isn't going to mean pushing polygons... its going to be more creative than that.

FTM wouldn't look any batter on a PSP... and that was developers are going to have to strive for with the DS. Designing stylishly good graphics that take advantage of what the DS has to offer. They have a lot mote graphical freedom with the PSP since its basically a Dreamcast level system.

[quote name='Kayden']However, since Nintendo is still using cartridges for the DS, small load times a a given, but so are low quality visuals. That is the trade off that has to be made. Speed or beauty.[/QUOTE]

Cartridges have nothing to do with visual power, they're just another means of data storage.

-------------------------------

I think IGN did a good job overall. I'm a little iffy on their decision for control. They admit it depends on what game you're playing and then they give it to the PSP nub just because it's more compatible with games already on the market. They could just have easily said the DS can do things the PSP can't, or it's fresher, etc. Sure, using the touch screen as an analog stick is kinda weird but it does work. The PSP has nothing to emulate a touch screen. It should have been a tie at the very least, if not given to the DS.

How does the PSP have better media? It can store more, that's the only pro. UMD's are FAR more fragile than DS cards, and they're not as portable. Also, you can't save on a UMD! You need an extra memory stick!

How does the PSP win this category?

Also, the DS should've gotten controls. The PSP's analog nub sucks for what it does, and the touch screen has too much potential (FPS/RTS anyone)?

DS should've won both of those categories.

[quote name='evilmax17']How does the PSP have better media? It can store more, that's the only pro. UMD's are FAR more fragile than DS cards, and they're not as portable. Also, you can't save on a UMD! You need an extra memory stick!

How does the PSP win this category?

Also, the DS should've gotten controls. The PSP's analog nub sucks for what it does, and the touch screen has too much potential (FPS/RTS anyone)?

DS should've won both of those categories.[/QUOTE]

The Memory Stick Duo also allows gamers to experience all the PSP has to offer with pictures, videos, and mp3s. It's not just the media that's used for games, but the means that you can experience what else the systems offer and the PSP wins in that sense.

As for control, it's pretty much potential versus generalization. "Really, it's a matter of the select game at hand that decides which system has the better controls, and though the PSP will win for most mass-market games, the Nintendo DS has plenty of room for innovative control methods. But when it comes down to it, the PSP is much better suited for 99% of the games on the market."

I agree, the analog 'nub' sucks. UMD is a better media format just for the fact that it holds more data; the PSP can have bigger, more involved games because it can store larger, more involved games.

David- Saying the PSP is like the PS2 says more than the DS being like the N64

drumbandit- I know they're just a form of storage, but with the carts you generally have less room than with optical media. Less room = less detail = poor looking textures.

b3b0p- Great visuals don't make great games. Thats not what I was saying. I was just saying the PSP has better visual capabilities. However, for the most part, it also has the better games.

punq- I know they both have older titles, but I was refering to the presentation. The DS games show their age (in my eyes)... Lots of jaggies and bland textures. The PSP presents the older titles with more flair, IE particle effects and other such eyecandy. Again, graphics don't make the game, but great graphics make great games greater.

I agree with the article, although I havent et seena psp in person. I would imagine it would get the cake for controls because the DS lacks a "nub" which is pretty important in 3D games.... However there is only one out at the moment, and the touch screen is awesome for 3D games... wait two if you count Metroid.

[quote name='Kayden']drumbandit- I know they're just a form of storage, but with the carts you generally have less room than with optical media. Less room = less detail = poor looking textures.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but I don't think it's a factor on the DS, at least not right now. The DS cards can hold up to 256 MB currently. Mario 64 DS was only about 9-12 MB. There's plenty of room for higher quality textures, it's the hardware that'll buckle first.

The controls for both systems should have been better. I'm not sure which system deserves to win that category. Mario 64 was problematic (but was the DS really designed for Mario 64?), but the PSP's controls would seem to hinder most of it's games a little bit. Overall, I suppose the PSP would deserve to win, but it seems iffy to me.

As for everything else, i'd have to agree. I wish everything was on a cart or card because you don't have load times and they are easier to keep, but a disc carries a lot more data and that opens up oppurtunities for full motion video and audio. You can have videos on the DS (even on the GBA), but it will take up way too much room on the card.

I thought that I would love my PSP more than my DS, but the truth is...they are entirely different systems, just as Nintendo told us. Although it is still too early to speculate about their respective game library, and keeping that element in check, I see my DS as being a favorite portable gaming system...and my PSP as my favorite portable media player. The DS is what it is, and I love it for that and their games. The PSP, while fun as a game player, lacks anything entirely unique or special beyond my PSone and PSone LCD screen. I prefer playing around on the PSP technologically....going online, dl'ing stuff onto it, and watching movies. I'm not a big fan of the UMD format, because I cannot imagine having a movie library with DVDs, Blu-Ray DVD, and UMDs. The UMDs won't survive in my movie library selection.

[quote name='whoknows']I personally like the nub, it works very well for Wipeout IMO.[/QUOTE]

i think the nub works great too, i have no problems with it

While I enjoy both my DS and PSP, I prefer my DS a bit more due to its originality. There are games that have/will appear on the DS that can't possibly be made for anything other current system. A PSP game can be ported to another console/handheld for the most part.

[quote name='gizmogc']While I enjoy both my DS and PSP, I prefer my DS a bit more due to its originality. There are games that have/will appear on the DS that can't possibly be made for anything other current system. A PSP game can be ported to another console/handheld for the most part.[/QUOTE]

totally agree... Even from the PS3 photos (they may be fake... which is highly likely) it seems the PSP may be totally useless, as the PS3 may support both PS3 games and PSP UMDs as well as the Memro stick duo...

In the long run, DS is more innovative and more open ended, where as the PSP is a home console on the go.

I own both and can say I am equally happy with both, but in the long run, DS wins...

i hope you are all right about ds staying power, i'm just nervous nintendo (or game developers) will abandon it when they release their next handheld.

I know I've mentioned this before, but am I the only one that thinks 1st person shooters on the PSP will be a disaster in terms of controls???

DS gets the edge in controls IMO. The touchscreen is analog, providing "look" functions, plus you can put as many buttons as you can fit on the damn thing. I can't imagine playing Metroid Prime DS on the the PSP with as much ease as the DS provides. The PSP is way limited in how we're able to play certain games....IMO...it's not much better than a GameBoy Advance is for FPSs.

The PSP gets the nod for media IMO. UMDs were a great idea.

[quote name='Borat']I know I've mentioned this before, but am I the only one that thinks 1st person shooters on the PSP will be a disaster in terms of controls???

DS gets the edge in controls IMO. The touchscreen is analog, providing "look" functions, plus you can put as many buttons as you can fit on the damn thing. I can't imagine playing Metroid Prime DS on the the PSP with as much ease as the DS provides. The PSP is way limited in how we're able to play certain games....IMO...it's not much better than a GameBoy Advance is for FPSs.

The PSP gets the nod for media IMO. UMDs were a great idea.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't want Metroid Prime DS on the PSP because it plays like shit, much, much worse than the GC's version controls and it's too cluttered. One of the big PSP games coming out over the summer is a FPS, Coded Arms, though I'm not sure what has been said of the controls.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']I wouldn't want Metroid Prime DS on the PSP because it plays like shit, much, much worse than the GC's version controls and it's too cluttered. One of the big PSP games coming out over the summer is a FPS, Coded Arms, though I'm not sure what has been said of the controls.[/QUOTE]

Well, you're entitled to your opinion about how MP DS plays, but here's fact. You will be limited in what you're able to do in a FPS on the PSP....much more so than on the DS. It's a fact that the DS can have many more buttons simply because of the touchscreen.....good luck switching weapons, or jumping, or ducking, etc without having to move your hand off of one or more of your movement controls on the PSP.

[quote name='IGN']Final Word

So in theory, the Nintendo DS is a better portable system but the PSP is the better all-around system.[/QUOTE]

That sentence alone may seem like IGN favors the PSP, but if you think about it, it really gives the edge to the DS. IGN may have declared a tie between the two systems, but what about one key factor - price? (I use the term "price" instead of "value" since it is objective, not subjective.) Even with the extra accessories, $250 vs. $150 is no contest. That gives the DS 4 points to the PSP's 3, making the DS the winner.

Honestly, what is the real question in the DS vs. PSP debate - which is the better all-around system, or which is the better portable system? If you're like me and think it's which is the better portable system, then obviously the DS wins. Consider two kids on a 6-hour road trip, one with a DS and the other with a PSP. The kid with a PSP may enjoy better graphics, but he'll also have to deal with load times, and before the trip is over, his battery will be dead. On the other hand, the kid with the DS will be able to play for the whole trip, never dealing with load times and having DS and GBA games to keep him busy.

I understand the two systems target different audiences, but when you look at them as portable systems, the DS has the edge. Plus, don't forget the DS's innovation - the PSP really hasn't contributed anything new. The way I see it, Nintendo is contributing to the evolution of portable gaming while Sony is just slapping technology together to create a flashy new gadget that succeeds at being a PlayStation but ultimately fails as a portable.

What kind of a person plays video games for 6 hours straight? What they consider innovative really isn't that much. Touch screen for gaming is nice, but they should have included a analog pad so you didn't have to use that crappy thumb strap. Two screens was just a stupid all round idea that should have ben cut earlier on. Here is my idea of what the DS should have looked like. Or gameboy evolution, renamed GameMAN, since everyone seems to think Game"boy" sounds like something a child would play.

Price: DS wins obviously since its lower in price..

Value: PSP wins due to the all round ability to play music, view images, watch movies, and play games.

End score: DS 4, PSP 4, making it a tie.

The average person doesn't get the chance to play more than the 3-6 hours of play time every day. If you consider it a portable system you must also go with the fact that most people play them in short instances of around 15 minutes each. The only thing I see it failing at is not having a Sony form fitting hard case like the Logitech one in the box instead of that crappy soft case to protect the system itself.

That gameplay > graphics debate is just crap as well. Gameplay + Graphics > Gameplay. That's a fact. You could have the ugliest, fattest woman who was great under the sheets, but nobody would want to be with her. Here is that drawing I made anyways..

nintendogameboyevolution20pp.jpg

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']totally agree... Even from the PS3 photos (they may be fake... which is highly likely) it seems the PSP may be totally useless, as the PS3 may support both PS3 games and PSP UMDs as well as the Memro stick duo...
[/QUOTE]

They're totally fake dude, fake fake fake.

Simply by the virtue of being two different systems marketed towards two different markets, you can't really compare them on equal grounds at all, As long as they're able to produce enjoyable games they both will have their place.

As for FPS games, I dont like em but I still think it best to wait untill they get a few of them out to play seriously and experience full scale gameplay.(yeah I know DS has the Metroid demo but it's hard to be fully objective towards a deathmatch demo)

I've got both and although the DS has it's positives, so far the PSP is the winner. Ridge Racer on the PSP is clearly superior to the DS version (the DS version has a seemingly higher frame rate though).

The analog control of the PSP also is a major advantage. Ridge Racer is tough to control with the directional pad and Mario has its control issues as well.

The PSP's screen is unbelievable. But you have to wonder about it's sturdiness. For a all-around media player, the PSP seems prone to scratches without a screen protector, collects dust and smudges, and I think I may have already bent the nub a little.

The DS does not appear to be the replacement for the GBA since its still being sold, so I'm a little confused as to where the DS fits in.

The DS was never meant to be a replacement to the GBA, I find it hilarious how no matter how iften it's said people still manage not to know.

It was announced as a third tier of gaming, where the GC was their main console and the GBA their main portable the DS was intended to land somewhere in between, capable of 3d yet focusing on drawing developers in with new ideas for user input and interaction by way of the touchscreen, dual screen nature and Wifi and also to help their profits untill their next major console release. If you have a table with two legs (I know I know, just go with it!) and one is weak you put a third one in to take some of the weight off. That's what the DS is.

Think of it as how the PSP is kind of a reputational boosting product for sony, With the PS2 reaching it's saturation point the PSP has the role of keeping them relevent and incresing in profitablity with new product untill the PS3 releases and they can consider letting the PSTwo console steadily die off. Once the Revolution and DS are strong sellers the GBA the GC can be retired and the next GBA put into full press.

bread's done
Back