DSi or 3DS?

I'm debating on which one to get. I'm not interested in any launch 3DS games and I'm really just interested in it for the Gameboy virtual console that they're advertising, so I do plan on getting it eventually but I'm thinking maybe I should wait until the next model comes out. What you guys think?

Also, a stupid question that I could find out but I'm on my phone right now, but what is the difference between the two Pokemon versions? Is it just different Pokemon?

I have a DSi, and won't be upgrading to the 3DS for a while. Not just because none of the 3DS launch games interest me, but because I have a working DSi right now, that's just now getting to be 3 months old. Another reason is because early adopters get screwed over in some way. It's not worth it to me.

I'd say if you can get a DSi for cheap, and you're not positive you want the 3DS now, you might as well go ahead and get the DSi.

As for the differences: aside from the different Pokemon, Black also gets a different city, while White gets an exclusive Forest. Black is for those looking to battle more, White is for those looking to catch more.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I think I'm gonna go with the Pokemon DSi bundle that comes out next week, especially with the K-Mart deal. This will be my first Pokemon game too.

I'm in the same boat as you I'm getting a 3ds thou I think the launch titles are stupid but I'm gonna get pokemon and just wait i don't see the point of getting a dsi unless u have one kinda stupid 3ds plays both and their gonna stop making games for that system eventually so own the future now plus the features are gonna be better of course

[quote name='ray2dee']I'm in the same boat as you I'm getting a 3ds thou I think the launch titles are stupid but I'm gonna get pokemon and just wait i don't see the point of getting a dsi unless u have one kinda stupid 3ds plays both and their gonna stop making games for that system eventually so own the future now plus the features are gonna be better of course[/QUOTE]

Well, my reasoning is that the DSi is $70 cheaper and comes with a game and I can wait until the inevitable new 3DS model comes out.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Well, my reasoning is that the DSi is $70 cheaper and comes with a game and I can wait until the inevitable new 3DS model comes out.[/QUOTE]
It's going to really depend on when you expect to pick up a 3DS I think.

If you're like me and are waiting till either Spring or Holiday 2012, you might as well pick up a DSi and enjoy it.

If you're planning on picking up a 3DS before the end of 2011... It's hard to justify getting both.

[quote name='Altanis']It's going to really depend on when you expect to pick up a 3DS I think.

If you're like me and are waiting till either Spring or Holiday 2012, you might as well pick up a DSi and enjoy it.

If you're planning on picking up a 3DS before the end of 2011... It's hard to justify getting both.[/QUOTE]

Well since I'm gonna get a DSi, I'll hold off on getting the 3DS for awhile unless they come out with some limited model that I just have to have. I'm really only interested in it for the legacy games.

I'll eventually get a 3DS when they release an XL version with bigger screens. I'm happy with my DSi XL and gonna stick with it for now.

I was debating the same thing recently, and finally caved in and got the Mario DSi XL. While I will eventually get a 3ds, I am waiting on more games and possibly a price drop before I bite. In the mean time, if any games come out for the 3ds that i want to play, I might get them and hold on to them until I get a 3ds. So that I don't miss out on any games that might not be reprinted after a while. (A la Phoenix Wright)

I am debating upgrading my dslite as I am noticing the case craking. I am debating between a dsi or a dsi XL. Does anyone have any opinions on either?

I currently have my DSi XL within my return period and I'm contemplating returning it and getting a 3DS on release. However, I don't think I can go to a smaller screen, 3D or not. The only game that interests me at this point is Ocarina of Time and that is still a ways off.

If the 3DS has the large screens it would be a no-brainer, as that is an important factor. As it is, I'm still have an internal debate as to what to do.

[quote name='The_Spaceman']I am debating upgrading my dslite as I am noticing the case craking. I am debating between a dsi or a dsi XL. Does anyone have any opinions on either?[/QUOTE]

If you're not needing to carry the thing around, I'd spring for the DSi XL.

But seriously, for not too much more you can just jump in and get the 3DS.

Unless you're going secondhand, then I would get the XL. It's just sooo sweet. Every time I see one, I wish I had one. I have the DSi and love it, but the XL is just niiiiice.

Well my thing is I most play DS games right now and the onyl 3ds game I am interested in is Street Fighter 4. I am also concerned with battery life. I can play my DS Lite for several days with out worrying about a charge. I have heard different reports about different battery life times from the 3ds and none of them are encouraging.

Between the battery life, smaller screens and cheap looking design of it I'm going to pass on the 3DS until the next revision.

Hopefully a price drop will occur during that time frame and games are a bit cheaper.

[quote name='king9x']Between the battery life, smaller screens and cheap looking design of it I'm going to pass on the 3DS until the next revision.

Hopefully a price drop will occur during that time frame and games are a bit cheaper.[/QUOTE]

The DS Lite never got a price drop, even after all those years

DSi XL dropped $20, so there's some hope.

I can't help to compare the 3DS to the Nintendo 64 and not in a good way. I remember paying top dollar for the N64 when it was released and have a small number of games to pick from. All the good ones were to be 'released later.'

The 3DS launch library is almost non-existent and certain features such as internet browsing and worthwhile games will be 'released later'.

I have plenty of gaming to keep me busy and watch how this system plays out over time. Again, I may pick one up later depending on certain factors.

I'm wondering if the 3DS's battery life improves substantially if you turn off the 3D. I think I wish they hadn't gone 3D at all. I'm sure it's cool, but I'm also sure it's the main reason the thing costs $250 and probably one of the main reasons it has crappy battery life. Plus I'm worried I'd be one of the people who'd get headaches, and thus I wouldn't be taking advantage of the 3D anyway.

I'm torn since my DS phat broke between getting the XL or the 3DS. I figure just chip in $20 more and get the 3ds. Only thing I'm worried about is image degradtion as the games stretch to the bigger screen. But since all I play is text heavy rpgs/srpgs it shouldnt matter, right?

You'll probably have MORE problems with text. Text zooming in resolution-free systems work well, but adjusting the text in a DS game will most likely net a fairly clunky result.

It sounds like you're a perfect case for an XL. 3DS will be awesome eventually but unless you're a die hard (like me) wait until the games really start to drop.

I'm having the same dilemma. I pretty much dislike 3D (makes my heard hurt!) and all the launch games look like crap. I'd love to get into Ocarina again though. Also, I'm getting to be an old fart (as gamers go) and I feel like the 3ds lower screen is going to be annoyingly small.

I'd get a DS lite if I didn't already own a DS phat. I'll take a GBA slot over craptastic digital downloads any day of the week.

You might not be interested in any launch 3DS games but it is Nintendo's new handheld and thus much more future-proof. Sure DS games aren't going to suddenly evaporate the day after the 3DS launch but you're not going to see any big pushes for the system anymore.

I' Just sold my DS lite, because i have the 3DS preordered...I already started the withdrawls from DS only 2 weeks to go:bouncy: Those who think we will see a revision soon are mistaken. it will be at least 2 years. The Ds was relesed in 2004 it was 2006 that we got the lite and 2008 that we got the DSi. I had personally had no problem updating to the DS lite, and was going to the DSi or XL, and when I gathered the money I heard rumors of a new handled which turned out to be 3DS so i decided to wait. I'm glad I did, with the games on the herizon i'm excited. Granted launch is weak. But Street Fighter looks like to launch saving grace and Zelda buy June, :D And Kid Icarus looks exciting and I hopefully Mario is before Christmas.

Although I'm easing up on gaming, I can count on one hand the number of times that I have not gotten a system at launch...and I have never not gotten any Nintendo system at launch...but I'm going to hold off on the 3DS. Love the concept, but the early games don't interest me. I'll wait for more colored systems and the like...if not Mario 3DS.

I currently own a DS Lite (which i keep for GBA playback), a DSi, and recently picked up a Mario LE DSi XL last week from AWD. Since then i decided to cancel my 3DS pre-order since there is no games i even want, and i still have about 45 DS games in my backlog. But i might change my mind once Zelda comes out and then sell my OG DSi to sup. the cost a bit.

bread's done
Back