DSI out of memory - what happens?

basketb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Probably stupid question but what can I do if the DSI's built-in memory approaches 0 blocks and I still want to download DSIware titles?
Obviously, I could delete other titles but will I be able to download them again without paying?

[quote name='basketb']Probably stupid question but what can I do if the DSI's built-in memory approaches 0 blocks and I still want to download DSIware titles?
Obviously, I could delete other titles but will I be able to download them again without paying?[/QUOTE]

You could always pay a few bucks for a SD memory card and back them up on there. Also, you can redownload games.

[quote name='SiK99']You could always pay a few bucks for a SD memory card and back them up on there. Also, you can redownload games.[/QUOTE]

you cannot copy games to SD card

Thanks for the quick responses.
As I just found out, you actually can copy the DSIware games to an SD card. You just can't start them from the SD card. Need to copy them back to the system memory to play.

[quote name='basketb']Thanks for the quick responses.
As I just found out, you actually can copy the DSIware games to an SD card. You just can't start them from the SD card. Need to copy them back to the system memory to play.[/QUOTE]

I can understand this from an anti-piracy standpoint, but wouldn't this hurt their revenue from the market? I can see a lot of situations where someone doesn't purchase something from the marketplace simply due to space.:roll:

[quote name='62t']you cannot copy games to SD card[/QUOTE]
I back-up my games to my SD card when I run out of space and need to swap them out. (with 34 DSiWare games, I have to do this often) Its easier than re-downloading them. As the OP stated though, you can't play them off the SD card. You need to download them back to the system first.

[quote name='swayz0r']I can understand this from an anti-piracy standpoint, but wouldn't this hurt their revenue from the market? I can see a lot of situations where someone doesn't purchase something from the marketplace simply due to space.:roll:[/QUOTE]
It is possible...but an SD card can be had for cheap. A 2-4 GB is all that is needed for DSiWare and that should be enough to handle some pictures/music as well.

I dont have a DSI so please forgive me for asking a noob question.

How does not allowing you to play backed-up DSIware off the SD card "anti-piracy"? Once you backed-up to SD card, can you not then transfer the content to someone else so they can copy from their SD card back to their internal memory to play?

Just curious.

Thanks!

[quote name='Asgardian']I dont have a DSI so please forgive me for asking a noob question.

How does not allowing you to play backed-up DSIware off the SD card "anti-piracy"? Once you backed-up to SD card, can you not then transfer the content to someone else so they can copy from their SD card back to their internal memory to play?

Just curious.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The SD card back-up is tied to your system so you wouldn't be able to share games with another DSi. This is also a current gripe with Nintendo's digital download service. If your system breaks, you won't be able to transfer all your downloaded games to a new system. (you'd have to have Nintendo do it for you by sending it in)

bread's done
Back