dsi xl or 3ds?

melokeith

CAGiversary!
I've been trying to decide which would be the better gift for my 7 yr old son this Christmas, and figured CAGs would have the most informed opinions :)

He's a gamer - been playing PS3 and Wii since he could hold the controllers pretty much, and he has a DS Lite which he enjoys.

I'm a little concerned about the 3ds due to the potential for eye strain/damage. I'm not too sure how real of a concern that is - and I do realize that you can turn 3d off.

It would seem, then that the dsi xl would be a good choice - however, many games are now coming out for 3ds (only I believe) - so I'm not sure if a dsi would be too limiting moving forward.

Thanks for any suggestions.

That's a tough one.

On the one hand DS development is all but finished but there is a huge library out there for it. Even if he's already got a lot of games there are a ton more out there he probably hasn't played.

I'm a dyed in the wool Nintendo fan and I am a bit hesitant to recommend the 3DS at the moment. The software situation is starting to turn itself around finally so that's a plus. However the source of all the rumours surrounding the slide pad and the price drop also had information about an upcoming redesign. I'm inclined to believe that redesign will be coming next year.

Unless you're inclined to buy him another 3DS next year I'd say wait it out and give him one next year. That's just my personal opinion.

Just based on the fact that you mentioned he currently has a DS Lite, it sounds like he (or you) isn't completely concerned about having the latest and greatest hardware out there. Otherwise he'd have a DSi already.

That being said, it doesn't seem like the DS Lite/DSi has much time left before everyone completely shifts toward the 3DS, and I'm sure the huge price drop will help the 3DS this Christmas. To me, it doesn't make sense buying anything but the 3DS, even with rumors of a price drop/redesign. You are already willing to spend a great deal on the DSi XL, and the 3DS plays all those games and 3DS games and does much more.

And since he doesn't appear to be concerned with having the latest and greatest hardware, you can buy the 3DS knowing that he won't cry and complain when a redesign comes out. There are some great games coming out for the system, and a whole backlog of DS and DSi games.

Get the 3DS.

It is a pretty tough decision, but I would lean more towards the 3DS. The DSi XL would be basically the same as the DS Lite, but the 3DS would offer something totally new and refreshing. Plus, he will be able to play new 3DS games as well as his old DS games on it.

I wouldn't worry too much about eye damage from the 3D either. You do feel a little eye strain at first when you're not really used to focusing on a 3D screen, but I think all the warnings about eye damage are just so that the one person out of 100,000 doesn't have grounds to file a lawsuit because his eyes hurt.

3DS, for sure. DSi XL is just a bigger Lite with shoddy internet. The 3DS is a brand new system with exclusive games and more features....including shoddy internet.

Plus, Target has the 3DS on sale next week for $145? K-Mart has it with a $35 gift card? That's like getting a game for free. Also, if you're that worried about the 3D, you can set the Parental Controls in the 3DS to make sure your child can never turn on the 3D.

I would get the 3DS. Nintendo's support and most developers are going to drop the DS and the DSi this year and concentrate on the 3DS. Your son would probably really want a 3DS just for the games that will be exclusive to it within the next year. Better to plan ahead, imo, than to get him an XL and then have him longing for Pokemon whatever they release exclusively for the 3DS next year.

My nephew has one and it's cute, but I don't really like the 3D on it really. Though I've only seen Ocarina of Time. But it's a cute gimmick that in future games could really be something neat. But my nephew, who is 10, doesn't use the 3D aspect of it anyway, he too prefers games in 2D. But again, I just think right now the 3D is not there yet in its games but it will be eventually.

I will say the 3D did kind of give me a headache after a while unless I viewed it at the perfect angle, but that's just me. My nephew didn't complain about it when he used it. I wouldn't worry about the eye strain. Your child may not even want to use the 3D and I think you can lock it so it can't be turned on. Not sure, though.

Snatch up one of the holiday bundles, like the one with Super Mario 3D Land or Zelda and you're good to go.

i know parents who have kids that have multiple gaming systems and it ends up being which ever game they gravitate towards most will the one that most if not all the games will be played on. I think without the 3D effect the 3DS for even a gamer kid is just another DS with a few extras. most of the new titles are shinier versions of older ones...even if you parental lock out the internet and the 3D feature, you're basically cutting out a lot of the 3DS's new functionality making it a poor investment just to be able to play a few new games.

XL is probably a better choice, it's larger, your kid won't every have 3D eye strain, since the screen is larger it's easier to view, and they're likely going to go on sale again or found at radio shack for $99 (if that deal is still going).

...but if your kid has to have the 3DS (with limited to no 3D functionality due to potential eye strain in developing children) just so he can play a handful of titles that haven't even come out yet or are already available for the Wii before he goes back to PS3 and Wii. Go for it!

I would go with the 3DS as the 3DS plays both 3DS and DS games. The eye strain really only lasts for the first 1-2 weeks, at least for me. I just played with the 3D slider to about half-way for that time and my eyes became used to it. The hurt is very minimal anyways. Just be wary that a redesign with a second control pad is somewhere on the horizon, but Nintendo has announced a second circle pad attachment for people who get it now. Oh, and sure to put some sort of cloth between the screen, or get a screen protector because the sides of the touch screen jut up and when you go to close it, it can cause scratches, and since this counts as user error, Nintendo won't fix it. The scratches aren't too noticeable however. Overall, I am very satisfied with my 3DS and look forward to the great games coming out in the near future. I hope your kid enjoys his shiny new system.

He's seven years old, so by the time he actually cares about gaming, some new system will be out by then. If you really are worried about the child leaving the 3D on and causing his eyestrain, don't get the 3DS. If you want to save money, try to get a DSi XL for cheap, or even better a DS Lite.

Also, just an FYI, if you are really concerned about the 3D display having an effect on your child, the system does have some pretty robust Parental Controls, one of which includes the option for you to completely disable 3D images on the screen.

Does the 3DS have parental controls? You could just turn off the 3D for good to ease your worries of him getting eye strain etc

I would get a DSi XL myself. DS games look horrific on the 3DS, 3DS Games are for the most part 40 dollar remakes of n64 games or just terrible iphone ports for 40 bucks. There isnt a solid library of games and wont be for a long time if ever. The XL makes DS games look amazing, killer battery life (3DS is a joke on battery life), and the screen size is excellent. Thats how i see it anyway. I was choosing between the 2 and bought a DSi XL myself, 3DS has no games worth buying and the DS back catalog is amazing and plentiful, good enough for years.

Or just get him a ipod touch. Much better investment.

This thread has turned in to people bashing one system or the other depending on which they bought, so they can make themselves feel better about their purchase.

3DS. However, a redesign is likely to come soon to incorporate the slide pad accessory into the system's new design. I wouldn't buy a 3DS at this point because of that, but if you definitely want to get him a new system I'd recommend the 3DS over the DSi XL.

I do appreciate the bigger screens of the XL, but a 3DS+Mario+Mario Kart+Zelda OoT=best holiday ever.

Wait for the 3DS redesign, but if you just want to jump in the fun getting a 3DS is a good choice still.

This is the only reason I would consider picking up a 3DS before the revision.
3f70ab68b54a1435a63bf9ba83b4888b.jpg

Like others have said, currently there aren't too many titles that are deemed MUST HAVE for the portable and for a more affordable investment you get a longer lasting, larger screened, sexy piece of hardware that will last for at least 3-5 years. I recently picked up an XL for next to nothing and I must say, DS titles have NEVER looked better. Touch screen games are even easier to play now (read: EBA/Ouendan, TWEWY) and the extended battery life is all kinds of excellent. However if you must have the 3DS I do recommend picking up that beautiful piece of art above.

Why not just stay with the DS Lite for now and buy new games instead? There's a massive library of good DS games so it's not like there's a hurry to move on to the 3DS. Then a year from now if a revision of the 3DS has come out you could get that when there should be a more impressive software library.

I'd go with the 3ds personally. The XL and 3DS are so close price-wise it doesn't make sense to go with the older hardware, especially since you won't be able to play newer games, since they'll probably be 3DS.

Kinda in the same boat as the op. My 5yr old Nephew says he wants a DS. So that really leaves me buying either the 3DS or the XL. I'd rather buy him the newer tech being the 3DS but I hear the DS games look reallly bad on it. I also thought about a PSP 3000 since they are only $99 now but I think he may tear it and the game disc up faster than the DS. I have a huge library of games for the DS and PSP which he can use so IDK which to get him.

I came here specifically looking for a thread like this. My buddy has a 5 year old and wants to get him a DSi or a 3DS and has come to me for help deciding. I am usually up on this stuff as far as tech knowledge, but don't actually own either or these systems. I personally am waiting for the redesigned 3DS, but a 5 year old child on Christmas morning doesn't need to make sure it was the best purchase for the money. He has played Wii and is quite good at Mario. I can't even remember what I was playing at age 5...I do know whatever I had, I cherished it.

So, how bout for a kid who doesn't yet own a DS of any type?

If he's 5 years old and doesn't own anything at all yet? Get him a 3DS and let him enjoy the amazing library before he gets spoiled with 3DS and won't go back and play the DS games.

bread's done
Back