DSI Xl or 3DS...

vince726

CAGiversary!
Hello, im considering a 3ds or a DSIXl...I have no interest in 3d games....How do the regular ds games play on the dsixl? I like the bigger screen, do the games look good on the XL..Thanks..

XL is a bigger screen than the 3DS. 3DS is cool, the 3D feature is awesome on Zelda, Super Mario, Kid Icarus, Pilotwings....

Game play fine on either system. There's no upconvert if that's what you're thinking. It's not like you can put Mario Kart DS on the 3DS and expect 3D, it doesn't work that way.

For straight DS games, the dsixl is the better option. The extra size is a huge bonus and the touch screen allows for greater accuracy in games. The 3ds doesn't play ds games that well. The top screen is 16:9 whereas ds games are 4:3. Which means that you'll get bars on the already smaller screen.

The 3ds has the benefit of not being a "dead" system so the games are starting to come out at a good click and the system should be supported for another 3-4 years. Thus even if your not interested in the 3d, the future is brighter. Unless of course you missed the ds generation. Then playing all the great games for that system could make the dsixl worthwhile.

Otherwise the look and controls are similar. The layout is a bit different for the dsixl since it is so much bigger. And of course the 3ds has the slide pad.

I like the dsixl very much, but it's hard to recommend at the $169 price point unless you can find it used or cheaper since new ds games are dwindling and the future is bright for the 3ds. Mario Kart and Mario Land just hit which should start the onslaught of 3ds games.

So it's your call. I have a dsixl and love it. I think I'll get a 3ds at some point, but don't have the time/money for the investment right now.

I'd go with XL. I am kicking myself for passing on one at Radio Shack on clearance for $99. That was when the 3DS had announced the free downloable games and the price drop, so I was going to pick it up because of the promo - but after I looked into it a bit more, I was thinking the 3DS is actually a step back in the system, aside from the obvious 3D feature.

I was thinking of getting a used Like New DSI Xl system...I have never bought a used system before, whats your thoughts..Thanks..

If you can see it or trust the seller that the screens aren't scratched a used system isn't that bad. The DS plays cartridges, not discs. Which makes it a much more reliable system and likely to work well unless it has really been abused.

I prefer new for systems in general, but I've recently been buying retro systems used and have been happy with the outcomes. If you can see it and try it first that would be preferable. If not, buy from someone that has a great feedback online and ask specifically about the screens and scratches since that is likely to be the area you'd be upset about.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']For straight DS games, the dsixl is the better option. The extra size is a huge bonus and the touch screen allows for greater accuracy in games. The 3ds doesn't play ds games that well. The top screen is 16:9 whereas ds games are 4:3. Which means that you'll get bars on the already smaller screen.

The 3ds has the benefit of not being a "dead" system so the games are starting to come out at a good click and the system should be supported for another 3-4 years. Thus even if your not interested in the 3d, the future is brighter. Unless of course you missed the ds generation. Then playing all the great games for that system could make the dsixl worthwhile.

Otherwise the look and controls are similar. The layout is a bit different for the dsixl since it is so much bigger. And of course the 3ds has the slide pad.

I like the dsixl very much, but it's hard to recommend at the $169 price point unless you can find it used or cheaper since new ds games are dwindling and the future is bright for the 3ds. Mario Kart and Mario Land just hit which should start the onslaught of 3ds games.

So it's your call. I have a dsixl and love it. I think I'll get a 3ds at some point, but don't have the time/money for the investment right now.[/QUOTE]

who said the 3ds isnt a dead system that is why the new pokemon is coming for the DS and not 3ds

I have a 3DS and had a DS Lite. Playing DS games on the 3DS is pretty much the same as the DS Lite. I beat Chrono Trigger and started Pokemon Diamond on my 3DS. The 3DS has some really great games (don't forget about the great games on the e-store) and can play any DS game. You don't need to play any game in 3D. In fact I like to play Resident Evil with the 3D off. The 3DS also has improved online functionality. Unless you really care for the huge screen I would go for the 3DS.

If you can find a good deal on a DS, I'd go with that until the next iteration of the 3DS is released.

I can see a new 3DS (ala DS Lite) in the future with an improved design and possibly a second analog nub.

[quote name='slidecage']who said the 3ds isnt a dead system that is why the new pokemon is coming for the DS and not 3ds[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and how many top-tier games have come out for DS in the past 6 months? 3? Other than Pokemon, what else is coming out that's noteworthy? I can't think of any. The 3DS has had 3 must-own games come out within the past 6 months, along with 6-7 other top-tier games(plus a few really great downloadables, as well) and another 6-7 due out by the end of the year. The DS may not be completely dead yet, but it's pretty damn close.

As for the person who mentioned the 3DS is a step backward except for 3D, huh? It's a complete hardware upgrade, except for the size. Better screen, better graphics, online play(yes DS had limited online games, but they really took a large step in the right direction with 3DS), the aforementioned circle pad, plus all the neat Streetpass stuff. 3DS is leaps and bounds above any other DS, you can keep your extra size. :lol:

[quote name='vince726']Hello, im considering a 3ds or a DSIXl...I have no interest in 3d games....How do the regular ds games play on the dsixl? I like the bigger screen, do the games look good on the XL..Thanks..[/QUOTE]

Reasons to get the 3DS

• Cost the same as a DSi XL
  • Can play all games the DSi can play plus 3DS games
  • 3DS games can be played in normal 2D
  • Access to the 3DS eShop for new demos, apps (Netflix), and games
  • Will be compatible with WiiU and Nintendo Network in the future
  • New features can be added via firmware update
Reasons to get the DSi XL

• Bigger Screen
  • Better Battery life
I would personally go for the 3DS since it gives the option of playing 3DS games, more options means more value for your money. Unless the bigger screen is really important to you.

bread's done
Back