Dual shock 3 has an odd burning scent

facemeat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Does anybody else have this problem with their dual shock 3? I picked one up yesterday, and just started smelling a fairly strong scent of burning plastic. The controller was new and doesn't feel hot at all. Anybody know what this could be?

You sure it's not just the new plastic smell? If it doesn't feel hot, and you're not charging it when it smells, I don't know what else it could be.

Other than that, maybe you should stop sticking it in the oven?

I'm fairly sure it's not the new plastic smell, it really smells like burning plastic. I searched this on google and it seems like at least a few people have this problem.

I bought it at a local game store, and I doubt they'll take it back. They don't seem to be good when it comes to returns. Oh, and I charge it with the usb cable that came with my PS3.

Tell them it's defective and they have to take it back. Don't worry as since it's defective and basically new they just send it back to Sony for a refund.

It's likely that one of the motors inside for rumble is defective, and instead of dissipating heat well, it's accumulating it either through friction or just poor wiring.

Might be the force feedback motors getting broken in. Most of the time you buy something like a new PC power supply, it's going to smell for a day or two. I got a power supply that had that electrical fire smell for 2-3 days from the exhaust fan before it went away.

It's probably excess oil on the motors getting burned away. Still, mine never smelled that way. Either yours is going through what I theorize or you got one that is potentially defective. I'd play it safe and exchange it.

It may not be burning plastic, but instead the excess motor oil being burnt away. Either way, it's best not to chance it and return it.

bread's done
Back