Duke Nukem Forever balls of steel edition

If you're a duke nukem fans $19.99 is certainly worth it for the extras. You couldn't pay me enough to play through that game... I gave it up about 20 minutes in.

The online is broken and faulty as hell, but I had a lot of fun with it when I played with a few friends. I'd definitely still play it every now and then if they would, but they won't. The standard version was well worth the $4.99 I got it for, even playing it only twice.

I didn't play campaign. I heard it was really bad.

It's a typical Duke Nukem game(rude/crude jokes, etc) and it's not apparently up to some peoples' standards for this generation of games(i.e. not "pretty" enough with the shiny shiny graphics), but overall it's a fun title that's worth at least this price.

The bust is teeny tiny in the CE, but for $20 that's not that much of an issue. Overall I'd say to buy it.

you can trade or sale the game and keep the extra stuff

you need balls of steel to play that game. it's almost worth playing to remind you how fps were 10+ years ago. by today's standards it's one of the worst games made

It's really NOT that bad if you just play it for the rude/crude humor and know that it's not gonna be the prettiest game on the block. If you can get it for $10 or get this edition for $20 and then trade/sell the game someplace for $5-10 then to me you're doing ok.

Why does everyone hate on DNF so much? Is our generation really that spoiled nowadays? I mean come on, this game had 11+ years worth of hype, not to mention Gearbox pumping it up even more when they took on the project. How is it humanly possible to live up to that kind of expectation? The game would have to be developed by God and published by Chuck Norris to accomplish a feat like that lol. "But AB, the game has issues. Therefore, I can call it garbage." Well, no shit Sherlock. The game has been in and out of development for years and by the time Gearbox picked it up it was a jumbled mess. They probably had to make a ton of cuts/edits and adjustments to put this Frankenstein together from all the old models/engines. Hence, the bad load times and other issues. Despite all this, they did their best to put this together just so this game would see the light of day for the DN fans. Then we spit in their face and say "Not good enough" Rather than just appreciate the fact they actually took the time to make this instead of saying "F*** it. Let's just make Borderlands 2 instead."

Also, about people bitching about the CE. Are you guys serious? "But AB everything in it is just cheap junk." Yeah? and so is 90% of the contents in CE's today. At least with this they stuffed it with goodies rather than just saying " here have an artbook nobody ever cares about and a dlc weapon. Thanks for the $100." I mean, look at Skyward Sword for example. It only came with a gold spray painted wii-mote, a soundtrack and the price is outrageous. And people complain that DNF CE is shitty? WTF

End rant

I got it at launch, the CE content did suck, but the game was solid to me, but I grew up on old FPS... I mean hell, I remember DOOM 1 and 2... and not from them coming with Doom 3. It isn't a bad game, but if you're expecting Halo or Gears of War, don't bother... it's a fun game, but it's not your overhyped hollywood trash game, it's an overhyped B-game that was abused as a child. Campaign will definitely kill a few hours, never tried the multiplayer. It really isn't as bad as people say though.

[quote name='Action Bastard']

Also, about people bitching about the CE. Are you guys serious? "But AB everything in it is just cheap junk." Yeah? and so is 90% of the contents in CE's today. At least with this they stuffed it with goodies rather than just saying " here have an artbook nobody ever cares about and a dlc weapon. Thanks for the $100." I mean, look at Skyward Sword for example. It only came with a gold spray painted wii-mote, a soundtrack and the price is outrageous. And people complain that DNF CE is shitty? WTF

End rant[/QUOTE]

I can't think of any CE that is $100 that only comes with DLC and an artbook... I want to say the Balls of Steel was originally $80, which to be fair, isn't *that* much extra, but aside from the poker chip/dice, the contents weren't great. Skyward Swords special edition I thought was 80/85, seeing a Wiimote is $40 last I knew (I haven't owned a Wii in years...) that isn't a bad deal, especially if you're a Zelda fan. The last truly good collectors edition to me though was the Fallout 3 one... a $5ish Bobblehead, a $10 lunchbox, and the other contents for $20 more? Not a bad deal. Cool physical objects from the game, not just a code for a weapon for your $20, I like that... but those days are gone, now you get a statue for an extra $90 (Skyrim, every fucking Halo game, Gears of War, etc.) or you get some tiny figure that is 2" tall, or a poorly done statue that looks like a blind man painted it, and he only has one thumb.

[quote name='georox']I got it at launch, the CE content did suck, but the game was solid to me, but I grew up on old FPS... I mean hell, I remember DOOM 1 and 2... and not from them coming with Doom 3. It isn't a bad game, but if you're expecting Halo or Gears of War, don't bother... it's a fun game, but it's not your overhyped hollywood trash game, it's an overhyped B-game that was abused as a child. Campaign will definitely kill a few hours, never tried the multiplayer. It really isn't as bad as people say though.

I can't think of any CE that is $100 that only comes with DLC and an artbook... I want to say the Balls of Steel was originally $80, which to be fair, isn't *that* much extra, but aside from the poker chip/dice, the contents weren't great. Skyward Swords special edition I thought was 80/85, seeing a Wiimote is $40 last I knew (I haven't owned a Wii in years...) that isn't a bad deal, especially if you're a Zelda fan. The last truly good collectors edition to me though was the Fallout 3 one... a $5ish Bobblehead, a $10 lunchbox, and the other contents for $20 more? Not a bad deal. Cool physical objects from the game, not just a code for a weapon for your $20, I like that... but those days are gone, now you get a statue for an extra $90 (Skyrim, every fucking Halo game, Gears of War, etc.) or you get some tiny figure that is 2" tall, or a poorly done statue that looks like a blind man painted it, and he only has one thumb.[/QUOTE]

I recall the BOS edition being 100, but maybe im just thinking about it as a standard price. In any case, the hate the game gets is completely unfounded. A lot of people think the game was being constantly developed and evolved over a 10 year period, so they were angry it was sub par. Sure some things were awful (like air hockey), but if you enjoy the jokes you will get your moneys worth. I platinumed the game in like 2 days and found it to be a funny game. Even if you hate the game, the broken up CE will most likely sell for enough to recoop costs. Also I believe I still have a code to get the free DLC set if you get it I will gladly offer you it if you want to try it.

I bought this game day one. Full price. I had to buy it to make sure it was REAL. Imagine this.

I was bin 8th grade and just got Duke Nukem 3d. Best game I ever played. Hyping the sequel and all that shit.

Fast forward a hundred years later in 2012. Game comes out. I had to make sure it was real. Otherwise it isn't real and just some cruel internet joke. 60 dollars is nothing to me compared to the wait.

The game itself is surprisingly not bad. If you take away all the hype all the delays and its legacy it's a surprisingly playable game that has far more creativity then most modern shooters. Sometimes you want to shoot shit and hear cheesy lines while doing it while using a shotgun that has real punch. Now the multiplayer sucks compared to the classic, but the campaign itself is still better then many other campaigns I've played this gen. The loading sucks, but on the pc the loading is a lot quicker and at 60 fps the game is a far better experience. The worst experience on this version is the 360 one however. The PS3 version has a weird glitch where if you force it to display at 480p, the game is actually near 60 fps and plays a hell of a lot smoother.

[quote name='georox'] I can't think of any CE that is $100 that only comes with DLC and an artbook [/QUOTE]
Demon Souls Deluxe edition and if you want to substitute dlc for a soundtrack then Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 ( Maybe 1, I can't remember exactly) The whole thing about the SS wii controller is if you own a wii then you're going to already have a wiimote ( Probably two, if you play with friends) which makes that CE kinda stupid like an overpriced Red Steel 2 :whistle2:| I agree about the FO3 CE though, that thing was awesome :)

I played it on the PC and thought it was worth it. Someone recently traded me the 360 BoS extras (everything minus the game) for like a 10 dollar gamecube game. I kind of liked DNF, but I guess maybe I just like bad games. My other favorite games the last few years are Deadly Premonition and Nier.

[quote name='Action Bastard']Demon Souls Deluxe edition and if you want to substitute dlc for a soundtrack then Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 ( Maybe 1, I can't remember exactly) The whole thing about the SS wii controller is if you own a wii then you're going to already have a wiimote ( Probably two, if you play with friends) which makes that CE kinda stupid like an overpriced Red Steel 2 :whistle2:| I agree about the FO3 CE though, that thing was awesome :)[/QUOTE]

You trying to look stupid? The DX edition was 70 and included a game guide... the artbook / soundtrack was a first run freebie. Although, there was a second wave of them at some outlets like Amazon, during at the start of the GOTY phase. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 also was 70 and included a comic + mini guide... unless you meant the original, though that was ALSO 70 and included some DLC plus a making of DVD inside of a unique slipcover.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='admiralvic']You trying to look stupid? The DX edition was 70 and included a game guide... the artbook / soundtrack was a first run freebie. Although, there was a second wave of them at some outlets like Amazon, during at the start of the GOTY phase. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 also was 70 and included a comic + mini guide...[/QUOTE]

I read his post and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and was hoping he was referring to "Dark Souls" and not "Demon Souls"

Furthermore if you were smart enough to buy Demon Souls at $70 you would have made a solid investment considering it's current value

[quote name='Action Bastard']Why does everyone hate on DNF so much? Is our generation really that spoiled nowadays? I mean come on, this game had 11+ years worth of hype, not to mention Gearbox pumping it up even more when they took on the project. How is it humanly possible to live up to that kind of expectation? The game would have to be developed by God and published by Chuck Norris to accomplish a feat like that lol. "But AB, the game has issues. Therefore, I can call it garbage." Well, no shit Sherlock. The game has been in and out of development for years and by the time Gearbox picked it up it was a jumbled mess. They probably had to make a ton of cuts/edits and adjustments to put this Frankenstein together from all the old models/engines. Hence, the bad load times and other issues. Despite all this, they did their best to put this together just so this game would see the light of day for the DN fans. Then we spit in their face and say "Not good enough" Rather than just appreciate the fact they actually took the time to make this instead of saying "F*** it. Let's just make Borderlands 2 instead."

End rant[/QUOTE]

I want to be able to defend DNF but I just can't. I certainly wouldn't consider myself spoiled (I'm too old to be) and I grew up on FPS like Heretic/Hexen, Doom and Duke 3D but this game was awful.

The crude humor makes duke almost seem creepy (what is he 40 now?) and the gameplay is not good.

If they wanted to release it at $19.99 on PSN or Xbox Live then your rant is fair but to put a big name on it like Gear Box and hype the shit out of the game (without allowing anyone to review it prior to it releasing) is shady and the developers deserve all the criticism they got.

They should have shelved the project until they had the ability to do the game the justice it deserved.

I would have been much happier if they had just released a shell of "Boderlands" using Duke Nukem skins.

Using they excuse that Gearbox inheritied a mess so therefore they had to scrambe to get the product out isn't a good defense. If Gearbox wants to be a big boy in the developing industry then they should have stood their ground and refused to release a rushed product. I mean who would have cared if the game was delayed yet again--is six more months going to matter on what was a 12 year project?

[quote name='Action Bastard']Why does everyone hate on DNF so much? Is our generation really that spoiled nowadays? I mean come on, this game had 11+ years worth of hype, not to mention Gearbox pumping it up even more when they took on the project. How is it humanly possible to live up to that kind of expectation? The game would have to be developed by God and published by Chuck Norris to accomplish a feat like that lol. "But AB, the game has issues. Therefore, I can call it garbage." Well, no shit Sherlock. The game has been in and out of development for years and by the time Gearbox picked it up it was a jumbled mess. They probably had to make a ton of cuts/edits and adjustments to put this Frankenstein together from all the old models/engines. Hence, the bad load times and other issues. Despite all this, they did their best to put this together just so this game would see the light of day for the DN fans. Then we spit in their face and say "Not good enough" Rather than just appreciate the fact they actually took the time to make this instead of saying "F*** it. Let's just make Borderlands 2 instead."

End rant[/QUOTE]

I played this game well after it's release and read all the reviews and my expectation were extremely low going into it. And this game blew that out of the water. It's bad in every sense of the word. The gameplay sucks, the driving sections are inexcusable. The humor is not funny. There was a couple points where you couldn't figure out where to go and the level design is so archaic you couldn't figure out what you had to do.

I know the backstory of development hell this game went through but that doesn't give any company the right to release garbage like this. I played the old duke games and remember liking them very much. But this game should have been canned or released in 2002.

If you enjoyed this game then that's great for you. I really am not sure how or what would have appealed to you.

I guess I liked what I did play of it(before trading it in with a big lot of games) because I still find George Carlin and crude/rude jokes funny. Not to mention I was hoping to play this game(and Thrill Kill, but that has a slim to nil chance since I think EA still owns the rights to it:cry:) before Doomsday.

I actually preferred the third person view in Duke Nukem games as opposed to the FPS versions. I played through Time To Kill and Land Of The Babes tons of times, yet I just could not stand Duke Nukem 3-D or whatever that FPS one was on PS1.

How is the box on the bos edition? I know it sounds silly but i like a good collectors edition box. Seems like it maybe somewhat big and it certainly looks cool. I cant say ill enjoy the game but having a nice looking ce even if its garbage couldnt hurt.

[quote name='admiralvic']You trying to look stupid? The DX edition was 70 and included a game guide... the artbook / soundtrack was a first run freebie. Although, there was a second wave of them at some outlets like Amazon, during at the start of the GOTY phase. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 also was 70 and included a comic + mini guide... unless you meant the original, though that was ALSO 70 and included some DLC plus a making of DVD inside of a unique slipcover.[/QUOTE]
Ahem...This is what I was referring too. You can argue that it's a "so called rare" but that doesn't justify the price. These were the cheapest btw :cold:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-Gaide...1170?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c6464af92
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-Gaide...8278?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c646abec6

[quote name='GBAstar']I read his post and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and was hoping he was referring to "Dark Souls" and not "Demon Souls"

Furthermore if you were smart enough to buy Demon Souls at $70 you would have made a solid investment considering it's current value[/QUOTE]
Yes, because this is cag and being a cag obviously means you would pay $60+ for a day one release when roughly 80% of games hit the bargain bin faster than you can blink. :roll:

[quote name='Action Bastard']Yes, because this is cag and being a cag obviously means you would pay $60+ for a day one release when roughly 80% of games hit the bargain bin faster than you can blink. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Considering you can't get that Demon Souls guide anywhere but in that collector's edition and the guide by itself(even the messed up ones that you had to rip the cover off of to ship out to get a replacement) was going for $50+ I'd say that was a decent investment.;)

bread's done
Back