Duke Nukem Forever (PC) $20 on Steam & Amazon. Balls of Steel Edition $30 @ Amazon.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I got the link for you buddy :) I want duke to hit 10 already

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_?k=duke+nukem

Oh and if you have a smart phone just touch and hold the url bar on the screen and it will say copy url. I do it all the timet[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know about the C&P trick; unfortunately, my iPhone didn't want to let me highlight the entire address in my address bar. But, I can copy your link just fine. Thank you!

Can anyone comment on the BoS edition quality? The contents look pretty nice and worth the extra $10. Though since this is a price drop I'm wondering if I should just wait for the inevitable Steam sale on this. Seems like it would be at least $9.99 as part of the Christmas sale, if not lower. But my sense of nostalgia is pulling me towards the BoS edition. I am still shocked this game actually made it out the door in the end...

[quote name='xplocvo']Can anyone comment on the BoS edition quality? The contents look pretty nice and worth the extra $10. Though since this is a price drop I'm wondering if I should just wait for the inevitable Steam sale on this. Seems like it would be at least $9.99 as part of the Christmas sale, if not lower. But my sense of nostalgia is pulling me towards the BoS edition. I am still shocked this game actually made it out the door in the end...[/QUOTE]

I only glanced through the artbook (seems nice) but the bust is surprisingly high quality. Not quite up to Witcher 2 standards but nice and solid, not a dinky hollow piece of plastic (It's resin I think).

wow I'm so glad I cancelled my pre-order for the BoS edition back when it was "limited." What a joke. Already down to $30...

[quote name='xplocvo']Can anyone comment on the BoS edition quality? The contents look pretty nice and worth the extra $10. Though since this is a price drop I'm wondering if I should just wait for the inevitable Steam sale on this. Seems like it would be at least $9.99 as part of the Christmas sale, if not lower. But my sense of nostalgia is pulling me towards the BoS edition. I am still shocked this game actually made it out the door in the end...[/QUOTE]

It comes with a deck of playing cards the size of a matchbook with only the box having anything to do with Duke Nukem, the dice are cool, the 2 poker chips are lame, the postcards are a waste of time. The artbook and bust are worth $10. So do it.

I'm pretty sure somewhere on the internets lies a PDF of the scanned artbook. The other goodies included are nothing but junk that you will play with for 5 minutes until you toss them along with other "limited edition" trinkets you might have collected all these years. Although, I will say that the bust serves as a great paperweight, but then again, it just takes up space.

VERDICT: Avoid

[quote name='mac101010']I'm pretty sure somewhere on the internets lies a PDF of the scanned artbook. The other goodies included are nothing but junk that you will play with for 5 minutes until you toss them along with other "limited edition" trinkets you might have collected all these years. Although, I will say that the bust serves as a great paperweight, but then again, it just takes up space.

VERDICT: Avoid[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is....don't buy limited editions for the extra goodies if you don't want the extra goodies. What a novel fucking concept.

[quote name='mac101010']I'm pretty sure somewhere on the internets lies a PDF of the scanned artbook. The other goodies included are nothing but junk that you will play with for 5 minutes until you toss them along with other "limited edition" trinkets you might have collected all these years. Although, I will say that the bust serves as a great paperweight, but then again, it just takes up space.

VERDICT: Avoid[/QUOTE]That's your opinion, and will be taken as such. ;)

The BoS version used to be $40 more than the non-BoS version, when it was $99.99 to the $59.99 price for the normal edition.

This is $10 more than the normal edition for PC on Amazon, which itself has taken a $40 drop in a few months. The BoS version took a $70 price drop in the same amount of time.

If you want the extras, get the BoS version for $10 extra. I'm sure you could probably and turn around to sell the bust for more than $10 if you really wanted to, same with the other extras. The game itself at $20 is the "I'll get it" price for a number of people. The extra $10 for the other stuff is another "I'll get it" price for a number of people.

It's your opinion and not the gospel.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']So what you're saying is....don't buy limited editions for the extra goodies if you don't want the extra goodies. What a novel fucking concept.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was my opinion, and I just thought in this case, they're not worth it. Extra goodies that would be worth it would be stuff like say exclusive characters in the Gears of War 3 LE. My bad for sounding douchey, heh.

[quote name='mac101010']Well, it was my opinion, and I just thought in this case, they're not worth it. Extra goodies that would be worth it would be stuff like say exclusive characters in the Gears of War 3 LE. My bad for sounding douchey, heh.[/QUOTE]
And to me, physical extras like an artbook(or bust in this case) are worth more than some silly bonus character DLC codes.;)

Ah screw it... I'm in for a CE. I would have liked it on the PS3 but Duke needs to be played using keyboard and mouse.

I tried, really tried to find something to like in DNF. I failed.

I did not approach it with any preconceptions about classic Duke or modern games or whatever, but it felt so aggressively mediocre... which may not be fair. I play a lot of dumb mediocre games to completion and have fun with them. This was just... eugh.

Thanks OP. Game activates on Steam which is great and for an extra $10 I grabbed the CE. I love CE's :lol: it is hard to argue with a $30 price tag for a CE, any CE really. Just a personal opinion. Anyways thanks again.

i will get CE edition when its under 20 and for ps3.

i played the demo thought it was ok, gamefly has the game for 12.99 but all my friends keep on telling me its waste of 13 bucks

I enjoyed DNF when I thought I wouldn't. The campaign isn't the greatest, but I still had fun. When you turn off motion blur and Depth of field the game looks 10x better. I really enjoyed the multiplayer part, when you find a good server the game runs really smooth. It's a 4v4 multi with your standard modes, and fairly fast gameplay.
I bought the BOS edition when it came out and I don't regret it. I've got 34 hours in the game so far. The only thing I didn't like about the BOS edition is the statue isn't as big as I had hoped for. Its roughly 5 3/4 tall and 4 wide, but still a nice statue to put on the computer to ward off evil.

[quote name='p5ych0']I enjoyed DNF when I thought I wouldn't. The campaign isn't the greatest, but I still had fun. When you turn off motion blur and Depth of field the game looks 10x better. I really enjoyed the multiplayer part, when you find a good server the game runs really smooth. It's a 4v4 multi with your standard modes, and fairly fast gameplay.
I bought the BOS edition when it came out and I don't regret it. I've got 34 hours in the game so far. The only thing I didn't like about the BOS edition is the statue isn't as big as I had hoped for. Its roughly 5 3/4 tall and 4 wide, but still a nice statue to put on the computer to ward off evil.[/QUOTE]

would you say DN is worth 12.99 for ps3?

[quote name='showtimefolks']would you say DN is worth 12.99 for ps3?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how active the multiplayer is on ps3, but on pc I can usually find at least 10 servers up. I usually go by the standard of 1$ per hour of gameplay is a good deal for me. if you were to beat the single player and play an hour or two of multi I would say it is worth it. if you were a fan of the of the old duke 3d the humor is roughly the same.

My understanding is that performance of DNF is abysmal on consoles. It just wasn't optimized for them well at all. The last time I looked there was a marked difference in scores for console versions versus PC and this is why.

I personally enjoyed the game. I did pre-order it, but being in the US I read plenty of horrible Euro reviews prior to our release. My expectations were at an all time low when I started it and the demo (which takes some of the lousiest spots in the game) didn't help.

In the end, it was okay with a few nice moments. Certainly not the "most horrible game ever" that some reviews painted it to be.

[quote name='p5ych0']I don't know how active the multiplayer is on ps3, but on pc I can usually find at least 10 servers up. I usually go by the standard of 1$ per hour of gameplay is a good deal for me. if you were to beat the single player and play an hour or two of multi I would say it is worth it. if you were a fan of the of the old duke 3d the humor is roughly the same.[/QUOTE]

i could careless about MP i just want the single player which from what i understand is pretty long.

i am thinking about pulling the trigger on DN for 13. if anyone has anything to say, say it now or forever be quite lol

I really want the 360 BOS edition. If that drops Im all over it.

DNF is my guilty pleasure game of the year. I enjoyed the SP once through. Nothing more or less. The history of the game in itself is fun for us older crowd (albiet im only 26). But the game really shines with Multiplayer. The online play is super fun, cool old school weapons and maps. The PC one had some issues with lag but the 360 version I played for 2 months solid. I literally played the Mplayer up until 2 weeks ago. Although Im considering getting back into it when the DLC comes out. Its old school Dukematch fun. I miss that in todays FPS.

Is there anything distinguishing in the package besides the outer cardboard between the PS3 and PC Balls of Steel editions? Does the inner game case have "Not for Resale" or something on the UPC?

I'm more than half tempted to just purchase the PC Balls of Steel edition and get the PS3 version later, maybe after it comes with DLC.

I've been one of the biggest fans of Duke Nukem, playing the original Duke Nukem, and spending about 3 years of my life making maps and playing Duke Nukem 3D on Kali, on phone-matches, and later with the 3D client, etc. Then playing Shadow Warrior, Blood, and every game using the BUILD engine. However, I returned my $100 early preorder for PS3 Balls of Steel because they overstocked the edition along with (ineptly written) poor reviews (after originally selling out, and creating excess demand), and Amazon had already included it in a sale for ~$66 by the time I received it. I figured I've waited 15 years, so what's another 5 months for guaranteed price drop on the overstock?

However, it's mandatory that I have the Balls of Steel edition before it goes OOS, and the PC version would be more true to the original.

[quote name='Darknuke']wow I'm so glad I cancelled my pre-order for the BoS edition back when it was "limited." What a joke. Already down to $30...[/QUOTE]

Collector's editions never have value when the game is offensively bad. Look at Dragon Age 2.

[quote name='terb73']Collector's editions never have value when the game is offensively bad. Look at Dragon Age 2.[/QUOTE]

You must be confused, Dragon Age 2 has positive reviews. Metascore of 79

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']You must be confused, Dragon Age 2 has positive reviews. Metascore of 79[/QUOTE]

And you are confused if you look at metascore and don't actually look at what the users are rating the game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dragon-age-ii

User score 360 (1852 votes): 4.4
User score PC (3174 Votes): 4.2
User score PS3 (919 Votes) : 3.9

Yeah, that game is awful. EA paid some reviewers not to blast the game so it looks good from the reviewers. Gamers and more importantly, the market has spoken that the game is awful. This is why you can find the "Signature edition" which was only available "prior" to release as low as 40 dollars on amazon. In addition to post release sales similar to the one we are viewing here for Duke Nukem. If there isn't enough of a demand for the game to begin with, no one wants to overpay for a collector's edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Bi...AZKW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1316111812&sr=8-4

I've been waiting for DNF to drop to $10, but the PC BoS is sure tempting. Duke 3D was the very first computer game I got in 1997 and I remember seeing the preview screenshots in PC Gamer in 1997 when it was still using the Quake 2 engine. I remember when the first screen shots came out from the Unreal engine version in Nov. 1999 and fighting the jammed server during E3 2001 to see the trailer. The next teaser trailer came out in Dec. 2007 and then scattered one-off screenshots. It won so many Wired Vaporware Awards it was retired from the category and then brought back into eligibility and more wins cuz people kept voting for it.

14 long years had passed when the demo came out. I came back from a Midnight show of X-Men: First Class and wrote my review while downloading the demo. It was after 4 am when it was ready and I had to get up for work in about three hours, but it was DUKE!

And it blew. And sucked.

Looked terrible, played terrible, was terrible. Like everyone, even allowing for adjusted expectations, I was like, "14 years for THAT?!?" Sigh...

I do want to play this for sheer closure purposes, but I dunno. Still, $30 is better than $100 and I do have some spare mad cash from selling off some old DVDs and games, so I'll probably go for it.

[quote name='terb73']Collector's editions never have value when the game is offensively bad. Look at Dragon Age 2.[/QUOTE]

I would not consider DA2 Signature edition a collector's edition what so ever but to each their own

[quote name='terb73']And you are confused if you look at metascore and don't actually look at what the users are rating the game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dragon-age-ii

User score 360 (1852 votes): 4.4
User score PC (3174 Votes): 4.2
User score PS3 (919 Votes) : 3.9

Yeah, that game is awful. EA paid some reviewers not to blast the game so it looks good from the reviewers. Gamers and more importantly, the market has spoken that the game is awful. [/QUOTE]How about gamers are whiny little bitch crybabies who are pissed that BioWare isn't making "hardcore" RPG games like Neverwinter Nights so they can nerd out and play inventory Tetris? These are the same dweebs who crapped on Mass Effect 2 because you didn't have to drive the stupid SUV around the planets to find crap to convert into Omni-Gel. People like that should stick to playing Excel and leave the fun to others.

Every professional reviewer who gives a good score hasn't been slipped a check by the publisher or had a babe blowing them while they played like Hugh Jackman in Swordfish. Just because your nerd-raging butt didn't like a game doesn't mean everyone else who did has been paid off.

[quote name='DirkBelig']How about gamers are whiny little bitch crybabies who are pissed that BioWare isn't making "hardcore" RPG games like Neverwinter Nights so they can nerd out and play inventory Tetris? These are the same dweebs who crapped on Mass Effect 2 because you didn't have to drive the stupid SUV around the planets to find crap to convert into Omni-Gel. People like that should stick to playing Excel and leave the fun to others.

Every professional reviewer who gives a good score hasn't been slipped a check by the publisher or had a babe blowing them while they played like Hugh Jackman in Swordfish. Just because your nerd-raging butt didn't like a game doesn't mean everyone else who did has been paid off.[/QUOTE]

And you beat me to it..

If the BoS edition had a feature length DVD detailing the development of this game over the years, I'd be on it in an instant. Seems like such a missed opportunity. As is, I can wait for a $5 Steam sale.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']If the BoS edition had a feature length DVD detailing the development of this game over the years, I'd be on it in an instant. Seems like such a missed opportunity. As is, I can wait for a $5 Steam sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just cancelled my order for the CE... it's only $30 but I can't justify the space and as you said, Steam will likely have this for $5 sooner or later (probably during their holiday sale). I waited 13 years to play it, a few more months won't kill me.

I put it in my cart, but it's still too rich for me. If it was $20, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'll wait for the sub-$10 game-only sale.

[quote name='DirkBelig']How about gamers are whiny little bitch crybabies who are pissed that BioWare isn't making "hardcore" RPG games like Neverwinter Nights so they can nerd out and play inventory Tetris? These are the same dweebs who crapped on Mass Effect 2 because you didn't have to drive the stupid SUV around the planets to find crap to convert into Omni-Gel. People like that should stick to playing Excel and leave the fun to others.

Every professional reviewer who gives a good score hasn't been slipped a check by the publisher or had a babe blowing them while they played like Hugh Jackman in Swordfish. Just because your nerd-raging butt didn't like a game doesn't mean everyone else who did has been paid off.[/QUOTE]

THIS

IS

THE

TRUTH

Thank GOD the fracking vocal minority is FINALY getting theirs. Jesus.

Some reviewer had said of duke nukem forever that what it really is is duke nukem forever hd: an HD update of a game that originally came out a decade ago. Except, of course, the original never came out.
And in that regard, DNF hasn't aged well. I played up until the moment in the campaign where you get the shrink ray and realized I wasn't enjoying any of it. I was playing just to play.

Still, I think this is a game you have to play for yourself. There is too much weight to simply read about the game's mediocrity and move on. I am interested in what a modern Duke game would be, and how that would be set differently from competitors like Matt Hazard or Serious Sam.

I would also recommend waiting on the price (if not getting the CE). If you have held off this long, this is a game on steam that will be under $10. When actually great games like Darksiders or Borderlands goty consistently fall in that pricerange, DNF will as well.

Exactly. First thing I thought of when I saw that it dropped to $20 list price was that it might be worth checking out at 75% off.

bread's done
Back