Dumping Cable - Questions?

sandaz93

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys, recently i decided to completely dump cable,mostly because i watch most of my stuff online. Basically, could i use google tv without a cable box in order to watch content that is online. I would be using Netflix streaming also. Would it be better to get google tv, a roku box, or just an old pc and connect it to my tv via hdmi.

For whatever it's worth, NBC, ABC, and CBS as well as all Viacom subsidiaries and Hulu block streaming to GoogleTV.

I stream Hulu from my PC to my HDTV and sound system. You also still get local channels via your cable, even if you don't subscribe. Just hook up the coaxial cord and then you'll find local analog and digital HD channels.

I don't think Google TV is the way to go, that device is best used with a cable/sat STB - it will work without one but an Apple TV2 or a Roku box might be better for you and they're the same price. I cut the cord about a year and a half ago and I get by with Netflix, HuluPlus and ESPN3 - all of which have clients on the 360. When I need to, I use an AppleTV2 for files and use AirPlay from my MacBook for content that I absolutely can't find anywhere else.

I don't know about where you are from but buying Internet without cable is almost as expensive as buying both together with phone service here. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing a PC unless your wife/girlfriend is going to want to use it. I know my wife wouldn't want to fuck around with a computer to watch tv. And god help you if you're dating and take someone back to your place and they see your setup.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't know about where you are from but buying Internet without cable is almost as expensive as buying both together with phone service here. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing a PC unless your wife/girlfriend is going to want to use it. I know my wife wouldn't want to fuck around with a computer to watch tv. And god help you if you're dating and take someone back to your place and they see your setup.[/QUOTE]

It's only a good deal for the first year. After you lose out on their "intro" offers, you pay out the ass for internet/cable. I'm cancelling my cable once my year long deal expires.

I'm sure you could bitch to them and threaten to leave and all that jazz, but I rarely use my cable anyway...

[quote name='Darknuke']It's only a good deal for the first year. After you lose out on their "intro" offers, you pay out the ass for internet/cable. I'm cancelling my cable once my year long deal expires.

I'm sure you could bitch to them and threaten to leave and all that jazz, but I rarely use my cable anyway...[/QUOTE]

I call every year a few weeks before my offer expires and ask for another good deal. They have always given me the new customer rates. I don't have to bitch or threaten to cancel. This may depend on the company though.

Thanks for the all the help guys. Playon actually looks pretty interesting. However, can you not use your pc while running playon? How does it compare to the Boxee box?

You can still use your computer, even use the internet. With Playon you don't have to purchase any equipment (if you have a 360 or PS3). You can use your computer as a Boxee box, But it doesn't stream, you would need to hookup cables to your TV, which is too much of a hassle to me.

I've got an Apple TV (2nd gen) and a Roku 2 XS. Apple TV is nice if you want to stream video you own from your PC to your TV, or to stream video from your iPhone or iPad to your TV (only some of which is supported). It has Netflix and Youtube support.

The Roku supports many more services. Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video (free for Amazon Prime members), and tons of channels for sites like Revision3, Giant Bomb, etc.

My wife and I could probably get by just fine by paying $16 a month for Netflix and Hulu and the $80 a year or so for Amazon Prime, but it all depends on your viewing habits and desires. But, like others have said, I call to cancel my Directv every year or so and they drop the price and give me things like free Showtime and NFL Sunday Ticket, so I never manage to actually cancel it.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't know about where you are from but buying Internet without cable is almost as expensive as buying both together with phone service here. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing a PC unless your wife/girlfriend is going to want to use it. I know my wife wouldn't want to fuck around with a computer to watch tv. And god help you if you're dating and take someone back to your place and they see your setup.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with a computer sitting next to your television? If you have a nice entertainment center, nothing. Mine sits on the floor next to mine and it doesn't seem out of place. I need to get wireless KB&M, but it still doesn't look bad.

And everybody needs to be able to use a computer competently in this day and age. Technology isn't going anywhere, so if your significant other can't run a computer, its about time they learn. I've got my non-techie girlfriend into using my setup without any issues.

bread's done
Back